Which sump baffle

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Bricktopper

Which sump baffle

Post by Bricktopper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm

has any one tried a clockwise motion drop in baffle (or one of the many eBay versions) ?
Am planning to do this over the next couple of weeks but am no good with a welder so thought this may be better option.

Will be used for trackdays on atom 3

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Which sump baffle

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:40 pm

What's wrong with the Baffled Sump that's fitted?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Bricktopper

Post by Bricktopper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:54 pm

As far as I am aware there is not one fitted. I know it is an option but I checked with factory and they said mine did not have that option. Factory will fit but will need to send sump off and wait for a couple of weeks.
Fitting myself is likely to take 4 hrs but just want to be sure a drop in baffle is high enough quality.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 pm

If the factory say the original owner didn't spec the baffled sump then that's good enough info to suggest you'll need one !

That must be one of the very few cars that don't get that option specified as a default no-brainer ..

I seem to remember, on here, someone saying the engines come on a pallet already assembled, so the factory must have to remove the sump to remove the baffle. Makes one wonder if the owner didn't want to pay for it, they'd just fit the whole assemble anyway !

If you do a search, I think there are some alternative baffles others have fitted ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Be sure to ask if when dropping in your new  baffle that you DONT need to modify the oil pump. I'm not sure if it's where they delete the balancer shafts but I've seen a few mention that it needs oil pump mod when baffle fitted.
Go for a reputable make also (tegiwa maybe?)

Stew