Atom Cup - from a rookie's perspective

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
Newmember

Atom Cup - from a rookie's perspective

Post by Newmember » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 am

Having never owned anything even remotely close in performance to an Ariel Atom before, I knew I would be out of my depth in the Atom Cup but I thought the best way to learn would be to jump into the deep end of the "pool" but it turned out to be the Mariana trench instead!

My first ever track day was to be the 17th of March and it was then that I first met my fellow Atom Cup drivers, Nick Whitehead and Richard Marler. I was looking forward to learning the Silverstone circuit from them but we were snowed under and the track day was cancelled. I then had to drive 2.5 hours back home to South London in heavy snow. Luckily I had wet tyres on and Ian Meredith (who was also there for the track day and lives in North London) was kind enough to lead the way in his atom since that was my first week driving an Atom. My fingers and toes were close to frost bitten by the time I got home and the lesson that I learnt with the Atom is to be prepared for all eventualities. From then on, I decided to have the windscreen and wet tyres with me every time I head to the track in the future. (see attached picture of how the 4 spare wet tyres were carried in the car).

The next track day that I had booked at Bedford Autodrome was cancelled as well due to ice on the track and I was gutted as it would have been the safest track for me to find out the limits of the Atom. I finally managed to get my first track time with the Atom on 1st of April at Silverstone and it dawned on me that I only had less than a month to get use to the Atom! The track day turned out better than expected as I managed to stay on the track all day and did not have any spins. By the end of the track day, I managed to get my lap times down to 2:32, thanks to Andy Smith (think that is his last name) who helped to show me what the car was capable of by driving me in Mark Harrison's Atom Cup car.

Next post - Testing day

~ Jon
Attachments
wets.jpg
wets.jpg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 986 times

Newmember

Re: Atom Cup - from a rookie's perspective

Post by Newmember » Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 am

Testing 26th April -

After 2 more track days at Silverstone, I thought I would be finally ready for my first ever testing day but it nearly turned out to be my last testing day. The day turned out fairly well and I was able to get down to 2:28 by the end of the test day and then disaster struck, a Team Pyro Clio with racing slicks decided to use the Atom as a launch pad. I was on the racing line and already at the apex when he decided to ram into the side of me even though there was absolutely no gap at all. It was very traumatic to say the least as I have no experience in car racing and would never expect this sort of thing happening. Ariel was amazing though, they fixed it right away and car was all sorted for the next day although I was not (I wince every time I am at that corner of the track now!) - will try to upload a video when I figure out how to do it (this website doesnt seem to allow the video format that GoPro videos are recorded in)

Jean Pascal, Nick Whitehead and me had dinner together and they were really kind and encouraging as I had half a mind of pulling out. Qualifying and race suddenly seem a lot more daunting considering what could happen during testing.

Next Post - Qualifying and race

Paul Donkin

Post by Paul Donkin » Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 am

Considering your events on friday, I think you did absolutely fantastic all weekend, things can only get better from here on in

wattie

Post by wattie » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am

Agreed, massive gonads!
Well done. :tu:
Cheers wattie

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed May 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Top man Jonathon!

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 pm

In at the deep end is the understatement of this year....on here :o

Respect for diving in -  :tu:

Cant wait to see the video! Upload to you tube then do a simple link to is and post it here :tu:

John H

Post by John H » Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 am

Great thread and hats off for doing what most other Atom owners wouldn't dream of.  I've never raced an Atom, or a rwd car and haven't even driven a rwd car for about 2 years, so I'm very trepidatious about chucking a stranger around a (possibly wet) Cadwell Park. I did win there in my Clio in 2011, but that has about as much relevance to this weekend's meeting as my drive to Eastbourne in the motor home, last weekend. The great thing for me, is that for once, I don't expect to win, nor actually care too much either, so there will be no pressure - unlike every other race I have competed in. Might just use it as a "drift day" and an opportunity to insult Tom and all the others. Standard! :)

wattie

Post by wattie » Wed May 08, 2013 11:42 am

[quote="John H"]
" The great thing for me, is that for once, I don't expect to win, nor actually care too much either, so there will be no pressure - unlike every other race I have competed in. Might just use it as a "drift day" and an opportunity to insult Tom and all the others. Standard! :)"
[/quote]
Bulls### ::)
Sounds like the "star in a reasonably priced car" standard line.....then everyone becomes competitive and leans forward for their time.....you'll be giving it your all John come the green light!
Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John H

Post by John H » Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Oh indeed I will, but my "all" in an Atom is f*** all, so if I go into the race with that mindset, then there is no pressure. Interesting to see that Jonathon has already been punted off by a Clio driver though - should set him up nicely for this weekend :)

FlyingTrotter

Post by FlyingTrotter » Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Sorry to hear you can't make it for this one Jonathan - hope you are able to drive all the rest of the race weekends

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Are those red & black atom cup fleeces available to buy?