Oulton Drift

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
ragezx14r

Oulton Drift

Post by ragezx14r » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has been to Oulton Park on a drift day? You use two small tracks on site that is made up of a tarmac with extra glass in to make it smooth and slippy which is then wet.

In the Rage on normal trackdays i always went with the racing line and if the rear end ever stepped out i used to catch it straight away. After i did the Drift day and learned to slide the car and learned its limits in a drift/slide, i could then let it slide on track if I wanted to with confidence.

I'll be booking a day when i get my Atom so i can learn its balance after reading many times about the Atoms interesting handling characteristics. Warning though. It will get filthy with all that water but nothing that can't be cleaned  ;)

Darren

Drinks

Re: Oulton Drift

Post by Drinks » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:10 am

Mark(captain atom) did a day a year or two ago. the tracks look good fun but where the track meets grass there are big areas where the grass is all rutted and doesn't look too Atom friendly.

skilly

Post by skilly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:53 am

Yes, had a great day and learnt loads. Great instructors as well.

You have to watch out for dips just off the tarmac (unless they have filled them) as it can jar the suspension. In my Atom 2, I managed to damage a suspension part on this. Would definitely do it again though.

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I'll have to be careful then if the Atom is a little delicate. The Rage would take all sorts of abuse like this as it was obviously originally designed as an off road racer. Must make a mental note  :wize:

Looks like you had fun Mark. Any videos?

Darren

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Mark,

Your picture shows a lot of tire sidewall flex, looks like lots of tire footprint.  I'm assuming you are running pretty low air pressure?  Care to share your inflation pressure?

Thanks,

Eddie

skilly

Post by skilly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am

Sorry no Video's !

Eddie, sorry no idea what air pressure I was running, it was a few years ago now. I think the tyres were Toyo TR1's which are no great for track use.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Are these days arranged directly with Oulton Park or a third party? Would love to know more about them.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Motorsport Vision run Oulton park so booking will be through them

http://motorsportvision.co.uk/

Darren

John H

Post by John H » Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 am

guaranteed way to kill your wheel bearings. Unless you have the new rear uprights.

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 am

I'll give it a miss then! Until I get the upgrade.

Darren

John H

Post by John H » Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

[quote="ragezx14r"]
I'll give it a miss then! Until I get the upgrade.

Darren
[/quote]
I would...................

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Mon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm

I went and it was a brilliant day!

I dont think it was too hard on the bearings as the track is indeed very slippy and they kept wetting it, plus it rained. I think the honing/hooning day was much harder on the bearings as would be a trackday driven by a good driver.

Anyway, check it out:
http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... ic.php?t=6
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2