How much fuel used at a trackday?

If you race your Atom or use it hard on track, here's a place to discuss strategy and swap tips.
ragezx14r

How much fuel used at a trackday?

Post by ragezx14r » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi All,

On a good trackday, How much fuel do you go through in an Atom? I'm not looking for a MPG figure here. Just number of tanks or litres.

With my Rage buggy i'd fill the tank (13 litre) and take a spare 100 litres. It only has a small tank but was perfect for trackdays as by the time the fuel light came on it would be time to give the car and driver a rest. I never got through the 100 litres but i'd say around 80 on a good day

What size is the tank on am Atom? I've read 40 litres and 60 litres.

Thanks, Darren

Bruce Fielding

Re: How much fuel used at a trackday?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:54 pm

40 litre tanks in all but the Atom (1)

I usually do a couple of tanks in a day and have enough to get at least some of the way home... I'm too old and need my rest between outings on track...

I think Alec can do a trackday on one tank. I have heard of people doing three tanks, but that's rare and they usually get through a lot of rubber as well.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 pm

That's because Bruce only gets there about 15 mins before its time to stop for lunch.

Typically I would fill twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon. Would probably only burn 3 and a half on the circuit.  These days I try to limit a session to half a tank, but used to do about 2/3rds on a stint, and end up having to fill every time out.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07 am

[quote="Steve"]
That's because Bruce only gets there about 15 mins before its time to stop for lunch.
[/quote]

True. I sleep late, and then arrive after the novices and loons have been out. Then join in when Darwinism has sorted things out.

After 30 years in advertising, doing lunch is the most important part of the day!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 am

1 tank per two sessions. If you try a 3rd, you may run out of fuel.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 am

Depends on track length and if open pitlane or sessions. Personally I rarely get through more than a tank of fuel in am and another in pm. Then again at the Ring I did a tank in 1 session......
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

ragezx14r

Post by ragezx14r » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:54 am

[quote
Typically I would fill twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon. Would probably only burn 3 and a half on the circuit.  These days I try to limit a session to half a tank, but used to do about 2/3rds on a stint, and end up having to fill every time out.
[/quote]

And how long approximately would a half tank session last? And is the fuel guage any use on track?

Thanks Darren

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 am

Personally I find the gauge is useful but not totally reliable. I find its reasonable until 3 bars then it can go to flashing 'E' in a lap or 2.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Fredrik F

Post by Fredrik F » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:15 pm

My tank is 40L. I have atom 2. 245Hk

I do approximately 2tanks in a normal trackday. But I think it depends on if you have Supercharged or not.