Post by Steve Gibson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 am

Och, Rabbie Evans, welcome on board.

Alex Brandon-Smith

Re: Border Blast - 2018

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 am

deepdiver wrote:Rob.
Careful you don't get a nosebleed travelling this far North. lol. ;) :o

G.
Lol, don't wind him up too much else some planes may come falling from the sky! Or worse still, he'll terminate your membership! Image
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am

deepdiver wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm Rob.
Careful you don't get a nosebleed travelling this far North. lol. ;) :o

G.
Cheeky. :P

I only live down South. Originally a Yorkshireman.

Rob. (The membership Terminator.)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Tom thanks for the tip re Cotswolds. May include that on the way back. Im still working on return routes

Rob good to have you along as well. It will be good to have a Yorkshireman to translate in the Dales?

As above, Im sill working on routes to plug into our sat navs. Steve and I planning on 2 days up and 2 days back. There are some great routes, but "messy" urban areas difficult to avoid if we plan on avoiding motorways. I will put draft up this week for comments. Im planning from where I live in Hampshire then people can join wherever it suits them. Will advise return hotels as well.

The routes will be on My Route app (web interface). If you are not yet registered on this app then do so and let me know your site name (PM me) and I will add you to the group to see the routes. I have created an Ariel club group, and will invite those I know (or have used for Portugal. Im not sure if I should retain my private account or use the Ariel Club section. Still experimenting

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Aareet bonny lads

Here is the completed draft itinerary for this trip. I say draft because the routes may evolve a little over the next couple of months, although the hotels are now probably fixed with many having already been booked.

The routes are based 2 days getting there (for southerners), 2 to 3 days blasting around with our fellow northern nutters, then 2 days back. Tried to select as many of the routes as good Ariel roads as possible. What do I mean by that? I have discovered, after a couple of tours in the Atom, and a years ownership, what is described as a good drivers road elsewhere, isn't always a good "Atomic" road. Still learning, but what constitutes a good Atomic road is another subject. But for now, generally speaking avoiding motorways wherever possible, and even some dual carriageways, but including roads I know, or are recommended on a variety of forums, including bikers forums, and trying to avoid high traffic areas, which isn't always possible on this trip. We also have some more of the top UK drives ticked off on this trip. After Wales last year, this trip, and hopefully a trip to Scotland sometime, we will have done all of them in an Atom.

I have also set the routes up in more detail on the My-route app online, which is useful for sat nav down loads. I have setup an Ariel Club Tours group there, and the routes are in a folder called 2018 Border Blast. Ive only invited Alex, Steve and Nick so far (as we used this for the Portugal tour last year) Let me know your user names on the App and I will invite you to it so you can see them there. Or apply to join it. In the meantime the google links below show the routes as well (In less detail). Unfortunately Google maps is 100% true when Ive copied the links below. But its good enough for now.

Thursday 17 May
I will set out from deep south following route below. Steve Gibson will join me early on somewhere, yet to be determined. Any others who want to join us then let me know where, and we can arrange a time.

So on this day its a trip up through Oxfordshire and Warwickshire into East Midlands and ending the day in the Peak District.
https://goo.gl/maps/xPdELLj6Q1o

The hotel we staying at on Thursday night is the Yorkshire Bridge Inn
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... gland.html
The hotel has parking around the back for our cars.

Friday 18 May
We will continue through the Peak District over the Snake Pass. Perhaps set off early before traffic builds up? We can decide later as I think IanG and others are joining us there that morning. The route then takes us up and around Manchester on some motorway (about 34 miles, but I will look to shorten that). Cutting through southern Yorkshire Dales up to the Lake district towards Windermere. Perhaps a lazy lunch on the waters edge? Then up through the lakes over Kirskstone pass, and around Ullswater to Penrith. Cross the M6 then up the A686 through the North Pennines park to Hayden Bridge and the Langley Castle hotel where everybody meets for the Border Blast weekend.

Route:
https://goo.gl/maps/2vc7r6yavGC2
Again if anyone wants to join us on this day along the route, then let me know. I think we will have 4 or 5 cars on this day.

Hotel: (We will be based here all weekend, checking out on Monday 21 May)
The hotel has plenty of private parking for our cars (and some trailers). Although well located for our Border Blasts, it is a bit more remote so eating out in the evening may involve a trip to Hayden Bridge, or stop off at a pub on the way back from one of our trips. I think the best rates are now gone since we started booking it up, so if you joining now there are other hotels nearby?

Saturday 19 May / Sunday 20 May
Main two days mis-behaving with the Northern Chapter chaps. They will no doubt advise us of the best routes. We can travel as a group or split up a bit. Everyone can drive whichever bits they want to in Northumberland/Scottish borders. I would suggest we discuss and plan the weekend over a few beers that Friday evening, as I think some of the Northern Chapter are staying at the Langley Castle also.

Ive come up with 3 possible trips we could use/alter/discard etc based on my past visits to the area, sadly not in an Atom. These are on the My-route app also, which may be useful to load in our Sat Navs, for those of us not familiar with the area. But Northern Chapter advice overrides all of the routes below. I could work with them before the trip to include them in the My-Route app so we have them ready when we arrive?

Option 1: https://goo.gl/maps/1eN2xY9KXWT2
A trip along Hadrians wall, cross into Scotland, up and around, then into Kielder forest park. Out again and into the Northumberland park and some of the great roads north west of Newcastle and back again.

Option 2: https://goo.gl/maps/tcDVpnhx3LJ2
Years ago I drove the Moffat to Selkirk route in Scotland. I would love to drive it an Atom. This route includes some of the great scenery of the Scottish Borders and back through Northumberland national park. It may be a bit too far? (172 miles)

Option 3: https://goo.gl/maps/mhchMh92TJt
For those who would like to see some of Northumberland's best kept secret, its north coast. I cycled all around the area 2 years ago. It would be good to do some of those routes in an Atom?

So Northern Chapter please advise, modify, add other routes etc. We've got 3 months to plan them...or we just follow you out of the gates of the Langley. No Sat Nav required.

Monday 21 May
On this day some head home with their trailered Atoms. Steve Gibson and I thought we would either just rest (from all the driving) that morning, perhaps by talking a walk on Hadrians wall nearby, or another final short blast with the Northern Chapter.

In the afternoon we will head off back south.

Route:
https://goo.gl/maps/AkLRJMwGt862
This should be a great afternoons drive through the Pennines and part of the Yorkshire Dales national park, including a blast over Butter Tubs pass.

We will stop off on Monday evening at this hotel in Kettlewell
Its a small hotel, but there are a few rooms remaining, so book asap if you are travelling with us on this route.

Tuesday 22 May
Continue and out of the Yorkshire Dales, weaving a path through Lancashire between Manchester and Leeds into the Peak District again. We will follow a different route to that on the way up. We will head down towards Buxton. If theres time a drive up the Cat and the Fiddle pass towards Macclesfield, and perhaps lunch at the pub on the top. Continue south east of the Peak District towards Nottingham where we will stay just south of the city.

Route:
https://goo.gl/maps/W4qXRK7ctNx

Hotel:
Steve and I are booked here. Let me know if you are joining us, as I have spoken to the hotel and they will provide us with secure parking when they know how many cars. We can eat at one of the pubs in Ruddington, or head up into the city to have a look around.

Wednesday 23 May
Final day and home. We will split off at various parts of this route. It starts east of Nottingham and follows part of the "Midland Tick" to Northampton then through Buckinghamshire past Silverstone down towards Aylesbury. Perhaps we can lunch somewhere before we split off. The last part of the route is just my own getting home (to load on sat nav)

Route:
https://goo.gl/maps/JX5arEk1hAp

Lets hope the weather is kind to us!

MrLizard

Post by MrLizard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 pm

looks really good digger, I would suggest a slightly wider line around coventry for two reasons, firstly I live on the a45 (west side) so you can pick me up in convoy and secondly some of the drivers on the cov ring road are surprised when they see another car near them let alone a number of Atom's :)

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 am

Mr Lizard, thanks, yes some of the routes will be fine tuned a bit more before departure, taking in feedback etc. Closer to the time I will be in touch so we can arrange meeting up near Coventry

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm booked up for the whole trip, parting ways on the 23rd.

Cheers,
Rob.

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

:tu:

Craig Sams

Post by Craig Sams » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Not long now guys till the Border Blast... :vroom:

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Chaps, much as I try to avoid it, it's looking more and more unlikely I'll be able to make it. With so much going on at home & work, plus a mother who's not terribly well at the moment it's looking like I'm going to drown in crap over the next month! Just a difficult year for socials I'm afraid.

I'll keep everyone posted on that front of course...

Alex
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:01 am

Yes Craig. Sneaking up fast. Must look at routes soon to refine, and also setup s list of who is meeting where on the way up.

Alex. Sorry you can’t make it. We will raise a toast to El Presidente somewhere. Hope your mum gets better soon

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 am

We are about a week out now, so time to firm up who's is going and meeting where?

Below is my understanding of those joining. Please confirm

Thursday 17 May (starting from the south. Refer to routing already published)
Myself
Steve Gibson (where do you want to meet, near Newbury or further north near Banbury, and when? )
Rob Evans (likewise Rob. Assuming you are travelling up from Stanstead area? Or shall we meet you at Yorkshire Bridge?)
Mr Lizard (SteveB?) (Coventry area?)
Smokin (where & when?)
Cambsbill (are you joining us Bill? Haven't heard from you for a while?)

Friday 18 May

irg100 will meet us early (the above) at Yorkshire Bridge hotel (what time can you get there Ian?)
No others joining us en route, through Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Pennines?

That evening meet at Langley castle hotel to join
Craig Sams
George Robinson
Nick Mason
Dunny
other Geordie owners?

On the weekend probably 10 to 12 cars?

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 am

Digger wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 am Below is my understanding of those joining. Please confirm.

Thursday 17 May (starting from the south. Refer to routing already published)
Myself
Steve Gibson (where do you want to meet, near Newbury or further north near Banbury, and when? )

Newbury is a straight drive west for me. Makes more sense to meet you at Banbury on the way NNW.

S

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 am

Steve

how about here say 0930 on Thu 17 may?

https://goo.gl/maps/LzgrEW63Le12