Clutch Replacement

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
atomizer

Re: Clutch Replacement

Post by atomizer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:04 am

anyone come up with a solution for the locked software issue. Who does a CPU upgrade for the ecotec motor?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:00 am

[quote="Atomizer"]
anyone come up with a solution for the locked software issue. Who does a CPU upgrade for the ecotec motor?
[/quote]

Any of the companies that make the tuning software could work with the Brammo/GM Racing PCM's. The problem is that it isn't worth it to them to add that ability - there's a total pool of what, 100 Brammo GM cars? Compared to the immediate return they get by adding (for example) the 2011 model year.

Some owners have posted here that their particular tuner can work with the Brammo PCM. Others have had the opposite experience.

The path of least resistance is probably to install a stock PCM, or re-flash the Brammo one to stock. I'd suggest buying a stock one - a salvage part will likely cost less than the dealer time to flash the Brammo one, and once flashed, the Brammo tune is gone forever.

If you send your Atom to Tom Smurzynski (I think that's what you meant by an earler comment of "Tom Z. in Oregon") he has a source for stock PCMs and can set you up with a basic tune for your Atom. Depending on whether you want to do advanced tuning locally or not, he can also do that.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:26 am

Ok thanks Terry. Yes its the Tom Smuznski, he emailed that he is can get to it in the spring!
how long is that.......4 m o n t h ...s , I guess with all this snow , ain't going anywhere in a hurry for awhile!

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:38 am

Atomizer wrote: Ok thanks Terry. Yes its the Tom Smuznski, he emailed that he is can get to it in the spring!
Closer. Smurzynski "smurr zinn ski"  ;D
how long is that.......4 m o n t h ...s , I guess with all this snow , ain't going anywhere in a hurry for awhile!
It helps if you make an appointment. I made my winter service appointment in July. :pop:

Seriously, if you need something done in a rush he can probably accomodate you. The issue (for major work) is that the cars will be up on jackstands while parts are fabricated / replaced / etc. And with Atoms, it's not like you can park them outside when they're not being worked on.

Hellooo Newman

Post by Hellooo Newman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:43 pm

[quote="silver"]
you might as well have Tom do the following

pistons
tvs harrop swap
air intake
exhaust
intercooler
tune
lightweight flywheel
exedy or some other high end clutch.
I mean...what are you waiting for  ;D
time to upgrade your 200whp atom to a 340whp atom.
[/quote]
Anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much this work would cost?
340hp sounds just about right.
Does this do away with the current, inefficient, horizontal, supercharger cooler, and if so what is it replaced with? Air to air or air to liquid?
Is that 340 at the crank or the wheels ;D

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 pm

[quote="Hellooo Newman"]
Does this do away with the current, inefficient, horizontal, supercharger cooler, and if so what is it replaced with? Air to air or air to liquid?
[/quote]

Yes. New air to liquid mounted in the roll hoop:

More info here.

Being somewhere that actually gets airflow helps a lot. You also get rid of the thermal mass of the pipes running the length of the car. Swapping the Eaton to a Harrop also helps as the Harrop doesn't raise the intake temperature as much as the Heaton does.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:57 pm

[quote="Hellooo Newman"]
[quote="silver"]

pistons
tvs harrop swap
air intake
exhaust
intercooler
tune
lightweight flywheel
[/quote]
Anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much this work would cost?
340hp sounds just about right.
Is that 340 at the crank or the wheels ;D
[/quote]

340 to the wheels, this is per Randy, he had the work done by Tom to his car, I do not know to what extent he did for engine mods so more could be involved

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am

What staples ear clamps do I need to replace when removing the motor. I want to order them and have them ready when the motor is reinstalled.
I went to oetiker website nut they sell a 82 or 310 pc kit.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:26 am

[quote="silver"]
[quote="Atomizer"]
Well took the AA out last Monday to Thunderhill. Had a blast, car performed flawlessly. On the 5th session,2nd. lap, clutch gave out. bummer.
So I called Tom Z.up in Ashland Oregon. he said he has seen these clutch at times have the compounds come apart. He recommends replacing with OEM clutch. With a little over 11K miles that was pretty good for alot of quick launches over 5 years.
He quoted me around 1800 to 2500$. ouch...for a clutch job. everything would be replaced , clutch , flywheel ect.
Has anyone else experienced this on their GM powered AA?
What other things should I have done (within reason,$$), while the motor is out.
Iam on the fence with the idea of hauling this all the way to Oregon when my local mechanic is drooling over having a chance to fix what he thinks is a straight forward clutch repair, (once everything has to be removed!)
while looking over the motor and hoses , he noticed quite a few permanent hose clamps are used instead of the regular clamps.  Was there a reason Brammo used these?

What precautions should I be aware of ?
Thanks
[/quote]

it's expensive b/c you have to pull the motor right?

pistons
tvs harrop swap
air intake
exhaust
intercooler
tune
lightweight flywheel

[/quote]
Did Tom do these upgrade to your AA?

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:29 am

AA has been fixed. It was NOT the clutch but a very bad wheel bearing. Completely snapped. Lucky wheel didn't come off! IMO all Brammo owners should have had a notice sent to them. This was a critical replacement.  Replace from TMI new Hubs, wheel bearing, newer washers and axle bolts too. new oil filter and oil change w/ mobil1 5W30 synth.
Last edited by atomizer on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:41 am

Took the AA out for a test drive and hearing a slight knocking at 2500 rpm /40mph.
Thinking piston slap or engine bearings!
This noise did not show up until we did the oil change. No sound during thunderhill event a month ago when the wheel bearing went out.
So I will have to test compression and take valve cover off and look around but I think if I have to tear into the motor to fix are there any updated parts since 2006 that I can replace internally. 
This is a loaded question because the sky is not the limit here but I would be open to hearing real suggestions. Ive been scanning the forum for some of the work that was done by sliver and bolus.
engine only has 11K on it, thinking the new oil has revealed a issue that needs to be addressed.  Two options are what I am looking at one... replace what needs repair. Second upgrade.  I would like to see what estimate cost of the second would be by those who have done similar repair/upgrade.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:28 am

This motor should have come with Mobil1. Left to it's own devices and really having enough oil/and not forgetting filter etc, this motor has a stout bottom end. There are folks running twice your Hp with stock rotating mass.

Not sure what pulling the cam cover is going to show you. Doing a compression check is a good idea but will not indicate either of your speculations.

I'd try running some fresh premium fuel before you needlessly spend uber money chasing a WAG.

That being said.. upgrading for upgrading sake is another matter. Unfortunately (kinda like chrome and CF) there is no good place to stop.. except when your budget has exhausted..