Shipping an Ariel Atom, what do I need to know?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
FutureAtom

Shipping an Ariel Atom, what do I need to know?

Post by FutureAtom » Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Can you use any car shipping company to transport an ariel atom, or does it need special attention or a special truck? Any clearance issues?

Would you use Uship, and get a quote from them?

1965Cobra427

Re: Shipping an Ariel Atom, what do I need to know?

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:35 pm

I have had three Atom shipping deliveries. In two cases the transport had an elevator on the back of the truck like you see in various forms of racing.

In the other case, they used a standard enclosed trailer and hired a local towing service with a hydraulic tilting flatbed truck to meet them at the destination for unloading.

Both worked fine.

beckertb

Post by beckertb » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

[quote="FutureAtom"]
Can you use any car shipping company to transport an ariel atom, or does it need special attention or a special truck? Any clearance issues?

Would you use Uship, and get a quote from them?
[/quote]

I use uship for a number of shipments but for the atom, I would be more cautious--it is certainly low on clearance and tie down points are not as simple as on a 2003 Chevy Impala.  When I purchased my atom, I loaded up my enclosed trailer and drove the 800 miles to pick it up. 

Good luck!
ben

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed May 25, 2011 1:44 am

[quote="FutureAtom"]
Can you use any car shipping company to transport an ariel atom, or does it need special attention or a special truck? Any clearance issues? [/quote]

You'll want an enclosed trailer, not an open carrier or flatbed, or it may be delivered full of water.

Ideally, it will stay on the same truck and not be unloaded / reloaded until it gets where it is going, and handled by somebody who will tie it down properly.

Brammo used Chris at CSL (a broker) and I believe TMI does, too - CSL Auto Transport / Chris Leeper / 626-771-3294 / chris@cslautotransport.com (email un-hotlinked to foil spammers)

At one time or another I've talked to all the major players (Precious Metals, Intercity Lines, and so on) and most of the well-known smaller players. Unless you do a lot of business with them, they are usually committed to other moves way in advance, particularly if you're coming from or going to somewhere out-of-the-way.

One word of warning - some of the "auto transport companies" you may find are just answering machines which front for a clearinghouse called "Superflo", where people take your info later on and dozens of companies will come out of the woodwork and call and email you, all with amazingly similar (within $50 or so) quotes.