Insurance for Indiana besides Rally/American Modern

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
RyanD

Insurance for Indiana besides Rally/American Modern

Post by RyanD » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm pretty much fed up with Rally's customer service.  Based on my experience, I have no confidence that I would get a claim resolved if I ever actually had one.

And besides that, the quote I just received is 2.5X as much as I paid last year!

What other companies have people had good luck with?

Thanks,

Ryan
Last edited by RyanD on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomathics

Re: Insurance for Indiana besides Rally/American Modern

Post by atomathics » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 am

Hi, RyanD –

Yes, Rally seems to have become unhelpful as of late.  I can recommend an American Modern agent in California, but she can (unfortunately for you) only write policies in California.  Too bad, because her customer service is exceptional.

I'd suggest you look for an American Modern agent in Texas – Rally may be a primary producer for American Modern, but at the end of the day, they are still just one agent among many and you should be able to find another one with not too much difficulty.

Also keep in mind that you might be eligible for a "car club" discount – it's offered state-by-state with AM.

Good luck!

McFred

Post by McFred » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:33 pm

2 years ago when the MFers at Progressive dropped me after 18 months when they "discovered" what it was they were insuring I tried lots of online/email and a handful of local agents for the following companies.

State Farm
Farmers
Geico
Liberty Mutual
Haggerty
Grundy
Esurance (partners with Hagerty)
USAA

and got mixed results from American National depending on what agent I spoke with.  Generally though the answer was not just no, but hell no.

The only people that seemed to know what they were insuring and actually would hold a policy was Rally through American Modern.  I've had them for the last couple years and my most recent renewed policy was actually less than last year's.  I called them and they verified that my coverages had not changed, but the American Modern had recategorized some of their classes of cars.  I think a lot of people with Atoms were transfered to a new category while some were put in others. 

Of course there's still the club discount.  If your premiums go higher the more "savings" you get.

If there's an alternative I'm all ears but so far my experience with Rally's been as good as can be expected for an insurance company.  Maybe in TX you can "self insure"  Where I live I can let the state hold $25,000 of my money in trust for the privilage of driving on the King's roads without another form of liability insurance.  I've no idea what you do if you get into a wreck though.  I can't imagine any insurance agent being worse than my local neanderthals at the DMV or local government.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Oh, sorry about thinking you were in Texas, I see that you're in Indiana now... Regardless, I'd just go to the AM site and work from there.

http://www.amig.com/collector_vehicle.html

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 pm

[quote="atomathics"]
Oh, sorry about thinking you were in Texas, I see that you're in Indiana now... Regardless, I'd just go to the AM site and work from there.

http://www.amig.com/collector_vehicle.html

[/quote]

The web site gave me a more normal price.  Let's see what happens with it.  They may still put it in the more expensive category.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Got a quote through Classic Auto for only 1.5X as much as I paid last year.  At least that's an improvement over Rally.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Rally has paid at least 2 atoms off in full for being totaled.

I call that customer service.

you're complaining because our costs have gone up..well, they have already paid over $110,000 in claims and that's just the 2 that I know of.

you should be thanking your lucky stars that they know what the atom is and are still insuring it.

that's my opinion.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm

[quote="silver"]
Rally has paid at least 2 atoms off in full for being totaled.

I call that customer service.

you're complaining because our costs have gone up..well, they have already paid over $110,000 in claims and that's just the 2 that I know of.

you should be thanking your lucky stars that they know what the atom is and are still insuring it.

that's my opinion.

[/quote]

No, I'm complaining about Rally's incompetence with their billing system.  After all of their screw ups over the past year, I would have left them even if it cost me more money.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:05 am

I see.

I now remember you had those billing issues.

yeah that sucked

I seemed to have escaped any billing issues,

just renewed for $450 @ 1000 miles.

last year was $330 I think

How much is your quote for this year?

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 am

$970 for 3000 miles.  Rally quoted $1450 for the exact same policy.

If you got a new policy with Rally, it would be near $1000 also.  They are limiting the existing policies to either 10% or 20% increase per year.  Don't remember which.
Last edited by RyanD on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 am

gotcha, well I think mine went up 30%...330 - 450, surely isn't 10-20%...we'll see how the next few years go...at this point since I have so many miles banked, I'm not needing to buy anything over 1000 miles.

If I switched to a new policy I'd lose my roll over miles.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm

umm yeah my memory obviously failed me severly..

mine went from 398 to 457 which is almost exactly 15% so I guess I'm within the max increase they can approve.

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Silver is correct. I am renewing this month, as soon as I get the new quote. I have spoken to Rally on the phone. New policiies would be a 50% increase over last year. Existing policies are capped at 15% increase, probably year after year after year ect....

I believe my new quote will be in the low 700's with 6K in mileage. I am not complaing, at least I can drive on the street legally