Buying New vs Used? help

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
FutureAtom

Buying New vs Used? help

Post by FutureAtom » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:10 pm

I am seriosly considering buying an ATOM, and have been doing a lot of research. I can't decide if it is better to buy a new Atom 3 or buy a used ATOM 2.

It seems that used atoms are selling between 40 and 50K, and many owners want between 50-55K for their ATOM 2. But when I look at the pricing for a brand new ATOM, at 50K + 2K, you can get a base ariel atom 3, with the same horse power as an ariel ATOM 2 at 245.

I fully understand that the used vechicles will have some better options on it that will bring up the base price, but is it really worth the savings here to buy used?

Personally, I would think I would be better off paying 10K  more for a brand new ariel atom 3, then a used one. At least I can add on some of the options that I really want and need vs, having to add them onto a used atom 2. Lets also not forget that brand new is always nice and it does mean that its your own design and you know it wasn't abused.

If anyone can please give me some input into this and what you think. At what price savings is it worth to go USED? Would you rather have a USED 2006 Atom at 45K, or a brand new ATOM 3 with somewhat similar options at 55-60K?

It some how seems to me that some Atom 2 owners are asking too much for their cars. I have seen 2006 models with asking prices of 52K. Is that really worth it when I can buy an Atom 3 supercharged 300HP with windshield at 60K?

atomathics

Re: Buying New vs Used? help

Post by atomathics » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:28 pm

[quote="FutureAtom"]
It some how seems to me that some Atom 2 owners are asking too much for their cars. I have seen 2006 models with asking prices of 52K. Is that really worth it when I can buy an Atom 3 supercharged 300HP with windshield at 60K?
[/quote]

Don't get the windshield...

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Seems to me that anything is worth what someone will pay for it.  If you feel the cars on offer are too expensive make a lower offer and see what happens.

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:06 am

I'm also in the market for an atom.  Most likely new but I have a few months to go before my order so I'm hoping a great deal will jump up on ebay.  Infact there's a one on there right now ( same one selling on the official site ). 

My issue with buying used is two fold. 

First, since street legal is very very important to me, and I've never been through the process before, I might buy a used atom that doesn't have all the neccessary paperwork for legalization.  For example if a reciept or something is missing thats required to prove that the prev. owner bought the roller, added his own engine / ect and not the turn key track only atom.

Second, why buy an atom if you wont drive it fast.  These are not the sport cars that some people buy just to 'roll' in for status ( ie Fcars or Lambos ).  I cant imagine someone buying one and not tracking atleast a few times.  Meaning even a low mileage used car could possibly have a high level of wear and tear.  Buying new will give me piece of mind. 

But if you can find the right car at the right price, the used option makes total sense.  Ideally, I would be looking for a registered heavily used car in the high $30ks.  This would let me drive around for a while getting used to the atom before things started breaking.  If / when I decide to ( or when things break ), the saved $ can be used to make the car much better than new.  High rev K24 instead of the supercharged setup, 6 pot floating disc Gyro disc instead of the Alcons, ect ect.

Just my 2c.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:09 am

[quote="vijen6"]
Second, why buy an atom if you wont drive it fast.   These are not the sport cars that some people buy just to 'roll' in for status ( ie Fcars or Lambos ).   I cant imagine someone buying one and not tracking atleast a few times.   Meaning even a low mileage used car could possibly have a high level of wear and tear.   Buying new will give me piece of mind. 
[/quote]

One thing you may find with a used, tracked Atom, is that the owner will have sorted a lot of things that may go off on a new build.

The flip side of the argument that "These are not the sport cars that some people buy just to 'roll' in for status" is that Atoms are usually driven by mad enthusiasts that care quite well for their cars (at least every Atom owner I've met has been that way).  Most of these owners have put a bit of extra cash into their cars to sort them and address the deficiencies.

The are, of course, going to be exceptions, but just because an Atom has been tracked doesn't mean "stay away".  They're simple, pure machines, and buying one that's been tracked may save some headache in getting up and running.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:09 am

why not buy a used A3 and spend extra on speccing it up. theres a few on Pistonheads

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 am

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
why not buy a used A3 and spend extra on speccing it up. theres a few on Pistonheads
[/quote]

I imagine because of being in the US ?

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:51 am

[quote="atomathics"]
[quote="vijen6"]
Second, why buy an atom if you wont drive it fast.   These are not the sport cars that some people buy just to 'roll' in for status ( ie Fcars or Lambos ).   I cant imagine someone buying one and not tracking atleast a few times.   Meaning even a low mileage used car could possibly have a high level of wear and tear.   Buying new will give me piece of mind. 
[/quote]

One thing you may find with a used, tracked Atom, is that the owner will have sorted a lot of things that may go off on a new build.

The flip side of the argument that "These are not the sport cars that some people buy just to 'roll' in for status" is that Atoms are usually driven by mad enthusiasts that care quite well for their cars (at least every Atom owner I've met has been that way).  Most of these owners have put a bit of extra cash into their cars to sort them and address the deficiencies.

The are, of course, going to be exceptions, but just because an Atom has been tracked doesn't mean "stay away".  They're simple, pure machines, and buying one that's been tracked may save some headache in getting up and running.
[/quote]

Good point.  I guess its ultimately up to the due diligence of the buyer to check if the car has been loved and cared for or not.  If you're lucky enough to score a well maintained used Atom for a good price .. then .. well .. lucky you !  Picking are slim and many are looking ( me being one of them ).  LOL 

FutureAtom

Post by FutureAtom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:06 pm

[quote="vijen6"]
I'm also in the market for an atom.  Most likely new but I have a few months to go before my order so I'm hoping a great deal will jump up on ebay.   Infact there's a one on there right now ( same one selling on the official site ).   
[/quote]

Good example of what I am talking about, that Atom that is on ebay and the offiical site, has an asking price on the official site of $62,500. I bet his reserve on Ebay is between 55K and 60K. For that price you can get an ATOM 3, 300HP supercharged.

That Atom does have alot of modifications which push it over the 65K, but a comparable car would be a 245HP Atom 3. 49,980 + 1725 + 3975 + 2,375 + 2,850 + 6,250. So a comparable new Atom awould be around 70,000 for most of those options. What would you rather have?

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 pm

If you want a good used Atom. Check ebay today. The one listed is from the factory, TMI. It will be in great condition and they should be able to add/make any modifications neccessary before taking delivery. You can always call TMI and ask for Mark to get more info.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16 am

Used atom 2s have the gm ecotec motor - more torque, better gas mileage.  Better suspension adjustments (adjustment thimbles), the option of single seats, no floppy rubber light housings.... The list goes on and on.  If you get a brammo atom that has it's issues sorted out, I think it's better than the current 3. 

Don't discount a used two until you drive one.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Used atom 2s have the gm ecotec motor - more torque, better gas mileage.  Better suspension adjustments (adjustment thimbles), the option of single seats, no floppy rubber light housings.... The list goes on and on.  If you get a brammo atom that has it's issues sorted out, I think it's better than the current 3. 

Don't discount a used two until you drive one.
[/quote]

just saw the floppy 3 headlights for the first time...what a joke, wow.

would rather have a sorted 2 with turbo conversion  :D

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:02 am

since we're on the topics of lights .. I'm probably way ahead of myself since I dont even have an atom yet .. LOL .. but one of the first project would be a Caparo T1 clone front end spoiler with the integrated light .. probably going to be cheaper than the $6.5k for the factory front spoiler

FutureAtom

Post by FutureAtom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:05 am

[quote="vijen6"]
since we're on the topics of lights .. I'm probably way ahead of myself since I dont even have an atom yet .. LOL .. but one of the first project would be a Caparo T1 clone front end spoiler with the integrated light .. probably going to be cheaper than the $6.5k for the factory front spoiler
[/quote]

6.5K for a carbon fiber spoiler has to be the biggest ripoff option I have ever seen. I mean you can buy after market carbon fiber spoilers for $200 dollars on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-Z-CAR ... ccessories

so obviously it is not the cost of the material. But how do they have the nerve to charge a whopping 6.5K for a front and rear spoiler. I can't see it being that expensive to design. Does anybody have a reasonable explanation, or is a total rip off and money grab from the rich who would actually pay for this option?

Are many of the options very overpriced?

I hope I don't get flamed bad here, but in my opinion buying a new Ariel Atom is overpriced for what it is. I mean, it is a track only car. To get the options that you really need for this car you are looking at between 65K to 70K. They really hit you up for the options. I don't really know what is involved in building one of these, so I can be totally wrong here. But it looks like I will be leaning towards a Used ariel atom.  

I think this car NEW should be almost maxed with options for around 50K-55K. To better prove my point and obviously what many other buyers think, the last maxed out ariel atom 2 on ebay only bid up to 41K. It seems obvious that buyers just do not see the high value in these cars.

I think that TMI will have to also lower the price of the options they offer, not just drop the base price of the car. Again, this is my opinion and I can be wrong here as I do not know what is involved. 

Last edited by FutureAtom on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:23 am

I think its partially Sector111's R+D.  They only sold 5 atoms so far so that's not a lot of room to spread cost.

That said, the second ( the real ) reason is simply demand.  The wings complete the 'f1' look / feel of the atom.  It makes the atom look much better ( IMO ), so lets jack up the price.

Truth is the atom that its not a `normal` car where you can buy a universal spoiler and just drill some holes in the trunk to fit an eBay spoiler.  Most atom owners will not have the skills required ( or the desire to ) fabricate their own front wing mounts.  Even if it ends up costing $650 in parts to DYI, most owners who wants a wing will end up just forking over the $6.5k to S111.

I'm not that surprised they want $6.5k for it.  Wait till someone makes a good '1 hour .. under $500 .. make your own wing' DYI step by step guide chock full with pictures.
I have a feeling S111 will have a wing `sale` reaaal quick.