Nevada Registered Atom 3 Experience

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
timcking

Re: Nevada Registered Atom 3 Experience

Post by timcking » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:57 am

First, it's aluminum angle, and just like the 'dead pedal', it's attached as you guessed by pop rivets.  Boy, I hated to drill into the frame, but it works really well and it's simple.  I used 3/16" steel rivets.

Second, the relocated pivot point is based on obtaining the same travel at the throttle pedal (cable travel) as required at the throttle-body.  That can vary depending on your throttle-body cable pulley diameter.  I also relocated the pedal pivot point to locate the pedal optimally for 'heal-toe' downshifting.  I think the pictures show how that turned out.  I made a simple layout drawing to ensure the pedal pivot and arm extension provided the required travel to check my initial calculations.

And third, the arm length was determined the same way - to obtain the required cable travel to obtain full-throttle at the throttle-body.  On the OEM throttle-body I used, there are two pulley diameters for the throttle cable.  Since I wanted to minimize the pedal travel, I chose the smaller pulley.

I lucked out on my design and fabrication.  Once the pedal stops were adjusted, and I attached my cable to the arm, the pedal bottomed-out when the throttle-body was open fully.  With the adjustments on both ends with the cable, I don't think you can go wrong as long as you have enough throttle travel (at the cable).

Also, I bought all of the aluminum at a local hardware store.  Pretty common stuff.  The throttle pedal arm extension is 1/8"X1" flat bar I believe.  With the arm, the clearance is limited with the close proximity to the trunk.

I hope that helps.

payne

Post by payne » Tue May 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Tim-

I think I have a solution that is simple and will work-  I'll be bolting a 3/4"x1/8" steel rod against the pedal arm.  You said there is clearance issues with the 'trunk', right?  Should the top of my arm be equal with the harness, the top of the tube, or the bottom?

Here's how I'll mount it:

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

timcking

Post by timcking » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Jason, I just went out and took another look at my installation.  The throttle cable end on my car is located 3/4's of the way between your points -B- and -T- from the bottom of the tube.  If you look at the pictures I originally posted, I think that will help.  The cable housing end is on the frame at a 45 degree angle (between the middle and the top of the tube) looking at it from the driver's seat.  Mine doesn't have all the wiring as yours, but it looks like you have room if you relocate the red/black cables to the bottom of the tube.  My cable end attachment on the frame is right where the red/black cables are shown in your first picture.

After the installation, let me know your impressions of the mechanical throttle compared to the throttle-by-wire.

Tim

payne

Post by payne » Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 pm

[quote="timcking"]
      Jason, I just went out and took another look at my installation.  The throttle cable end on my car is located 3/4's of the way between your points -B- and -T- from the bottom of the tube.  If you look at the pictures I originally posted, I think that will help.  The cable housing end is on the frame at a 45 degree angle (between the middle and the top of the tube) looking at it from the driver's seat.   Mine doesn't have all the wiring as yours, but it looks like you have room if you relocate the red/black cables to the bottom of the tube.  My cable end attachment on the frame is right where the red/black cables are shown in your first picture.

After the installation, let me know your impressions of the mechanical throttle compared to the throttle-by-wire.

Tim
[/quote]

Got it.  I'm headed to the shop tomorrow night to cut the steel.  I'll not drill the lower mounting points yet so I can have some room to move it up and down as need be.  The cables are the fire suppression and battery master cutoff, should be pretty easy to move them out of the way.

Thanks again for all the help.

I bought a roller from TMI and am building a full custom motor, so I'll never know what it was like with the DBW throttle, as I'm running the car as an 02-04 RSX-S.

Cheers,
Jason

timcking

Post by timcking » Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 pm

That sounds great.

simonrex55

Post by simonrex55 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:15 pm

good stuff, I taught Nevada would be the easiest state to register anything. these pictures will help me with k20 swap into an ariel atom II. cable routing)

thanks

timcking

Post by timcking » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Just an update on my Atom registration experience in Nevada.  It's been two years since I registered my Atom 3 and my first annual emission inspection became due this August (since it was a new car).  I had done a 'dry run' OBDII emissions test last year with the completion of the ECU/other revisions and it PASSED.  So I was pretty confident when I went to a local authorized repair shop for the required smog test.

Apparently the emission inspector was so uncomfortable with the car, he called the DMV for advice.  They told him the law changed in the 2010 Legislative Session and I had to bring the Atom in for an inspection at the DMV since it was the initial smog inspection of a 'constructed vehicle'. 

When I'd taken it to the DMV in 2009 for its initial inspection, the Emisson Lab supervisor treated me like a convicted felon - buying a 'non-compliant' car.  It made me so mad, I was determined to find a way to comply fully with the requirements - which I did.  I could have simply moved it out of the county, but I decided to 'do it right'.

Well, as you can imagine this latest requirement for another DMV inspection was cause for concern on my part.  There's no doubt they could find something wrong.  I'd even suspect that they might 'make something up' if they couldn't, based on the way the Emissions Lab supervisor had acted in 2009.

It's a shame, almost all of the DMV personnel will go out of their way to help you.  This one supervisor in the Emissions Lab was the first to exhibit the opposite behavior.

So, I went online and searched the Nevada Legislative Library for changes to the statutes and/or administrative codes and found none applicable to my situation.  I then decided to consult with another emission inspector who had helped me earlier.  He'd never heard of the 'new requirement' to take the car to the DMV.

As I suspected, they were 'bullying' me - counting on my ignorance to 'play their game' so they can find something wrong.  The only requirement is that it passes the Nevada OBDII test, not having another DMV inspection.

The second inspector suggested testing it and it PASSED.  I completed my registration online so I can keep my Atom.

I hope no one else runs into a situation like this.  I'd just suggest that you don't necessarilly believe everything you're told.  It's best to be very informed and seek help from experts who will help you.

And, keep in mind when it comes to legal requirements, it may not make any sense at all - it's just the law.  It really get's to me that someone who wants to register a car that uses less fuel and is very clean emission-wise runs into all these issues.  In Nevada if I wanted to register a 'replica' vehicle emissions aren't an issue.  Someone can build a replica of any pre-1968 car with any size/type engine they choose and avoid any emissions requirements.  Years ago I built a 427 Cobra replica and its' emissions were literally 'off the chart' when it was tested.

So much for being environmentally sensitive or responsible.  I'm beginning to see how people are attracted to the TEA Party.