Might need a battery for WCA

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
dp35

Might need a battery for WCA

Post by dp35 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:22 am

My battery's been acting up the past few days.  I'm trying a different charger on it right now, and if that doesn't work, then my battery's definitely toast.

I'm planning on leaving for WCA in two days.  Does anyone that's going to WCA have a spare battery I can borrow or buy?  Does anyone know where I can get a battery between now & then?

Karl

Re: Might need a battery for WCA

Post by Karl » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 am

The Deka ETX20L fit my Atom, others have had mixed success - seems to depend on how finnicky your battery tray was when they pulled it out of the mold. It should run you from $80-90 in a bricks & mortar store. The closest Deka dealer is:

Bayland Battery
967 Stockton Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110
Phone: 408-294-5611
Fax: 408-294-7555
epmbaylandbatterysanjose@dekabatteries.com

The Odyssey PC680 is 3 inches thick, almost half an inch thinner than the thinnest Deka battery. Use this if you can't fit the Deka. It'll run $125-150. Closest Odyssey dealer is:

Kodiak Industries
2635 Dryden Avenue
Gilroy Ca. 95020
(408) 591-1029
(408) 848-8086 Fax

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Summit could overnight you a Braille Battery part number B2015 or the cheaper Odyssey PC680 Battery.  I don't know if the Odyssey has enough cranking power. 

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Order one from Shinno and ask him to bring it up with him.

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:15 pm

[quote="dp35"]
My battery's been acting up the past few days.  I'm trying a different charger on it right now, and if that doesn't work, then my battery's definitely toast.

I'm planning on leaving for WCA in two days.  Does anyone that's going to WCA have a spare battery I can borrow or buy?  Does anyone know where I can get a battery between now & then?
[/quote]

I have a spare Braille that I will bring with me.
Cheers

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

batteries plus carries all 3...they said the braille is a piece of crap computer battery overpriced and they post Peak cranking amps which can be confusing...

the odyssey and deka are more powerful batteries and cost less.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:38 pm

sorry fishkiller...just realized I shat on your parade...my bad sir.

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:49 pm

What is the right part number for the Deka?  I'm looking at the specs on the three.  It would be a good idea to have an Atom Battery thread with average costs and specs.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:52 pm

there are tons of battery threads already....search with advanced by Karl....he's the one's who's posted the good info before.

ps...the deka barely fits....go with odyssey.

but

I did buy deka b/c found it new on ebay $70 shipped.

problem with "specs" is they don't all list CCA, some list some alternative amount like PCA peak>.....braille.

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:09 pm

The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as - 40°C.

A PC680 is rated 220 CCA but 680 PHCA (5 secs).

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Jumper cables, unless it's holding no charge whatever.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

[quote="wisp"]
The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as - 40°C.

A PC680 is rated 220 CCA but 680 PHCA (5 secs).
[/quote]

If it's that cold; I'm not taking the atom!