APR Performance rear wing ?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Fredrik F

APR Performance rear wing ?

Post by Fredrik F » Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I´m thinking of buying a rear CF wing from apr performance model GTC-200.
Does anyone have any experience of this wing, and how have you solved the mounting ?

dp35

Re: APR Performance rear wing ?

Post by dp35 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:46 pm

I think this is a good idea.  I considered using an APR wing, but ended up finding a wing from a Stohr D Sports Racing car instead.  I would use the widest wing they make.  Occaisionally APR wings can be found used on ebay, and that's what I was looking for.  Of course, this is the sort of thing that's only easy to find when you don't need it.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 05, 2010 10:10 pm

APR wings are proven in the Miata world, and are used in the fastest track Miatas in the world (Unlimited Class of the Miata Challenge Series).  The only challenge is making a mounting bracket for the wing, but I'm sure that would be easily accomplished through any local fabricator.

If you're looking to buy one new, I suggest you get it through 949 Racing.  The owner is a friend, and he's very service and track oriented.

I'm hoping to get him to do a run of his 6UL wheels for the Atom someday.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 pm

For what it's worth, I just bought an APR GTC-200 wing for my Miata.  If anyone wants any fitment info for the Atom, I can look into it.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri May 14, 2010 12:45 am

"I'm hoping to get him to do a run of his 6UL wheels for the Atom someday."

I have been running the current 6UL Miata 15x8's and 15x9's on my car already. It requires a 15mm H&R spacer to clear the Alcons,but I have the long ARP studs (front and rear),so it has not been a problem. If Emilio added 15mm to the inner hub face of a Miata 6UL... :tu:

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri May 14, 2010 1:11 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
"I'm hoping to get him to do a run of his 6UL wheels for the Atom someday."

I have been running the current 6UL Miata 15x8's and 15x9's on my car already. It requires a 15mm H&R spacer to clear the Alcons,but I have the long ARP studs (front and rear),so it has not been a problem. If Emilio added 15mm to the inner hub face of a Miata 6UL... :tu:
[/quote]

For what it's worth, recently I found that 16in 33mm offset TE-37's clear the front Alcons without spacers, which should mean that 15x7's of the same offset should also clear the Alcons.  So, if you want stock width wheels/tires, the TE-37 is probably a good choice.  They're significantly lighter and stronger than the Team Dynamics wheels.  You'll probably have to adjust the fenders outwards, though, as these wheels will create a wider track.