Exhaust Systems

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
fishkiller

Exhaust Systems

Post by fishkiller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 am

The current fortress exhaust system I have is too loud for Laguna Seca.
Even with supertrapps installed, too loud.

Are there any issues with the hytec stainless exhaust system??

silver

Re: Exhaust Systems

Post by silver » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:49 pm

[quote="fishkiller"]
The current fortress exhaust system I have is too loud for Laguna Seca.
Even with supertrapps installed, too loud.

Are there any issues with the hytec stainless exhaust system??

[/quote]

what about putting a new quieter muffler on the fortress exhaust?  that would be a cheap easy solution and now that we know it was the tune blowing up the mufflers not the quality of the mufflers I'd be wiling to bet you can throw on a cheap decent looking muffler that hooks right up by vbands and costs you under 200 bux.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Nope, it would blow out as well.  Positron has his special borla and it still has issues and has to be repacked every once in a while, and his car is tuned within an in of its life.  My muffler (before I went turbo) blew out as well, it was just a hollow can.

I honestly think you guys need the BIG supertrapp muffler setup to pass at LS. 

silver

Post by silver » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:12 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Nope, it would blow out as well.  Positron has his special borla and it still has issues and has to be repacked every once in a while, and his car is tuned within an in of its life.  My muffler (before I went turbo) blew out as well, it was just a hollow can.

[/quote]

good points......"dad" calls it the poot can lmao

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]

[/quote]

That was in line with my thinking also, but, my concern is that even with that we aren't going to make it.  Sixth gear turn coming up ahead!  That is going to suck!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Regardless of what you come up with, its going to be more backpresssure, and going to make your car slower (as you well know Norm).  I've seen exhaust inserts that may or may not work on your setup - looks like a corkscrew you put inside the exhaust pipe, so it narrows the flow and adds distance to the flow (allowing more time to cool).  Maybe something like that, then a CAT, then a "normal" muffer would work?

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm

What I liked about the Fortress was the 3" piping, ... a little math tells me 7.07 sq in cross section whereas the HyTech utilizes 2.5" piping, 4.91 sq in.  3" piping therefore flows 44% more gas by cross section.  Is that significant on a stock engine, probably, but then again not that big of a deal.  I will have a ported head and the Harrop by then, I am thinking that will be a significant restriction for me.  I need to start looking ...

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm

See.. this is why you need to go turbo.  If you go turbo, the restriction IS the turbo.  You can use a normal muffler, and it works just fine.  To offset the restriction of the turbo, you lose the parasitic drag of the supercharger.  My car has a CAT, a normal muffler, and runs at 92 db.  If I want to go quieter, I just put a tailpipe restrictor on (like you see on ricer cars).  I know I keep beating this thing to death, but a turbo really is the solution you guys are looking for - more power, quieter, etc....

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Please don't think I don't like turbo's!  I really, really miss my turbo Audi.  I am thinking that I am going to go look at the new SHO this weekend as I hear nothing but good about the EcoBoost, but, I will probably be disappointed once again by the wrapping ...

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm

My suggestion would be to hang two 90' elbows from the flange tips of the Fortress exhaust, each feeding into a separate muffler.  Connect the two mufflers together and have them supported by clamps to the frame.

Here's a quick & simple diagram I made in MS-Paint to illustrate...

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:08 pm

That's not a bad idea.  As you obviously realize, support is the issue and this will probably work!

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Another option that can be used in conjunction with all of the above is to flange the output and carry a 90 degree elbow with you. You can then v-band the elbow on, and direct the exhaust in whatever direction is opposite the sound booth (at Laguna, measurement is done from the right, so point it left).

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Karl, what corner am I going to be taking in sixth?  Just so I can practice on the xBox 360 .... 

OK kidding!

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:12 pm

[quote="Norm"]
Karl, what corner am I going to be taking in sixth?  Just so I can practice on the xBox 360 ....   

OK kidding!
[/quote]

You lift after turn 5. :)

silver

Post by silver » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="Norm"]

OK kidding!
[/quote]

You lift after turn 5. :)
[/quote]

that is seriously hilarious