fob issue

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
mbr

fob issue

Post by mbr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 am

Replaced the battery over the winter,led lights and new turn signal indicators.(SO I CAN SEE THAT THEY'RE STILL ON!) Anyway last year I notice the little black fob on my key ring was extremely stubborn at times. This year with a fresh battery and good weather I was disappointed.  I'm fairly sure its the fob because everything seems normal except no fuel pump startup or starter initiation.  Anyone have any ideas?  I know fob land is a delicate issue, however I have one more day of decent weather tomorrow and it would be nice to drive.
Last edited by mbr on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: fob issue

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:49 am

Do the fobs have batteries? I honestly don't know..but maybe they transmit...so a battery would be needed.

mbr

Post by mbr » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:10 am

[quote="mbr"]
Replaced the battery over the winter,led lights and new turn signal indicators.(SO I CAN SEE THAT THEY'RE STILL ON!) Anyway last year I notice the little black fob on my key ring was extremely stubborn at times. This year with a fresh battery and good weather I was disappointed.  I'm fairly sure its the fob because everything seems normal except no fuel pump startup or starter initiation.  Anyone have any ideas?  I know fob land is a delicate issue, however I have one more day of decent weather tomorrow and it would be nice to drive.
[/quote]
Luckily, after ripping apart the dash and steering column, and after locating the fob sensor wire, I noticed everything appeared to be good.  After which I went into the battery box I had already been in and out of several times.  I noticed the sensor contactor clip had a poor connection on the white wire.  Lo and behold, that contact was faulty.  Once the two wires were connected, we had ignition.  The only problem I have noticed now is that the engine seems to run on a bit.  However, as it is the first start-up in six months, I will put everything back tomorrow and hopefully enjoy.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:51 am

check your PM as this is a sensitive subject.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Do the fobs have batteries? I honestly don't know..but maybe they transmit...so a battery would be needed.
[/quote]

If we are talking immobiliser fobs then they don't.  They are powered inductively and communicate using a technique called backscatter where they are blasted with a relatively large RF signal and modulate this energy to give a much smaller RF signal in response.  Same principal as used in contactless payment systems.

Ben

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Good to know,Ben. :tu:

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:08 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[/quote]

If we are talking immobiliser fobs then they don't. 

Ben
[/quote]

Except mine which has a CR2032 3V lithium coin battery.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:13 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mine too but that is a remote immobiliser and not a fob immobiliser so a bit different.

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mine too but that is a remote immobiliser and not a fob immobiliser so a bit different.
[/quote]

That explains it.

My remote works fine but sometimes I wish I had a FOB immobiliser as well.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[/quote]

Ben
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That explains it.

My remote works fine but sometimes I wish I had a FOB immobiliser as well.

[/quote]

When I got the car it had a Bruntingthorpe spec ECU so no security / immobilisation at all so I fitted a FOB type immobiliser, since I changed to the Rover ECU I have both the remote and FOB.