AAE Atom on eBay with "BRAND NEW GM Powertrain"?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
wisp

Re: AAE Atom on eBay with "BRAND NEW GM Powertrain"?

Post by wisp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:47 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I'm bitching about the fact that the factory, which has said it will support brammo cars and their owners is setting the market value of my car about ten miles south of where it should be.  Don't believe that... Then why did it sell so quickly? 

It's like having your neighbor sell his house for 50% of the value of the going rate.  By doing that, the whole neighborhood takes a bath on their property value.

[/quote]

Not always. What if a neighbor has to sell in a mortgagee sale? That doesn't lower the value of the whole neighborhood. It just means that someone gets a one time bargain because of someone else's financial circumstances. Same as when business ditch assets, they go for bargain prices generally due to book value and accounting practices. It shouldn't happen often and once the cars are sold the bargains are not likely to be repeated unless another market influence drops prices, like a recession.

Give it a little time and see what happens once there are no more Ecotec powered A2s to be sold by TMI, all the remaining cars are in private hands and the number of this variant of the Atom becomes less available. I wonder what the value of one of less than 200 never to be repeated cars will be worth in 10 to 20 years.

Regards,
Owner of one of the few Atom 1 cars existing in the world.

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 am

[quote="Mota Leira"]
It sounds like, at least if you live in California, that the resale value takes a huge hit because as a used car it's only usable on the track. Is that right?

If so, it really makes me reconsider the cost of ownership as I would probably only own it for about 3 years.
[/quote]

Not entirely true. In California, you are permitted to privately sell a SPCNS car. If you sell it to another Californian, they get the benefit of 100% hassle-free registration.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 am

I agree 100% with Wisps evaluation about the future value of all Atoms. :tu: :tu:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:39 am

Guys... It's already started.  Look at the price of the second atom, it's low as well.  The more cars that sell at these prices, the more that will have to sell at those prices.  Next time somebody wants to sell, those prices are part of the history of prior sales and will be taken into account.

I think TMI didn't do anybody any favors.  Including themselves - why buy a new atom when a used atom can bought today for half price.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:50 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Guys... It's already started.   Look at the price of the second atom, it's low as well.  The more cars that sell at these prices, the more that will have to sell at those prices.  Next time somebody wants to sell, those prices are part of the history of prior sales and will be taken into account.

I think TMI didn't do anybody any favors.  Including themselves - why buy a new atom when a used atom can bought today for half price.
[/quote]

unless you have to sell your car right now then the devaluation that TMI is causing is called an unrealized loss, therefore, its theoretical.  If you have to sell your car anytime soon, these recent TMI sales, will in fact Fu2% you in the A hole for your value.

Wisp, in the US, home values must take into account the sales price of any comparable home in the area regardless of the sellers financial situation, foreclosure sales 100% negatively effect your home's value.  If you want to see my loan officer license to prove my knowledge I'm happy to post it up here LMAO.

But Wisp I do agree that sell those fuck3rs now and get it over with so we can see more sales of regular person to person to bring the value up...surely it's going to take some time for them to sell upwards of $70,000 which they did when Brammo was still selling new ones.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:06 am

[quote="silver"]
Wisp, in the US, home values must take into account the sales price of any comparable home in the area regardless of the sellers financial situation, foreclosure sales 100% negatively effect your home's value. 

[/quote]

Yeah, but you also have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car and think driving fast in a circle constitutes a motor race.  :P

But seriously the same applies here. Only you'd be silly not to hold out for the price you want because of one desperate sale unless you're in the same boat.
In the end it's all supply and demand driven. If you want a rare original Ecotec powered Atom in the future and there aren't any you'll pay more to get your hands on one.
Last edited by wisp on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:20 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Guys... It's already started.   Look at the price of the second atom, it's low as well.  The more cars that sell at these prices, the more that will have to sell at those prices.  Next time somebody wants to sell, those prices are part of the history of prior sales and will be taken into account.

[/quote]

Adam,

Aren't you planning on keeping your Atom?  Enjoy your car, I think the values will come back as the economy improves and folks get back to their spendthrift ways... ;D