Help! Questions from a Newbie

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
kepetersen

Help! Questions from a Newbie

Post by kepetersen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi guys!

This is my first post and I'm excited to say that I have an Atom 3 on order with an expected delivery this Spring!  I'm delighted to have found this great resource and already have several (too many?) questions that hopefully some of you could help me with.  Here goes:

1. For extended trips, where are the micro-storage areas for a tooth brush, etc.?  From photos on the TMI website, I've detected an area forward of the passenger footrest where you could stuff a sweater or small gym bag (placing the fire extinguisher on the center console), but am not sure where else you might stow underwear or a car cover, for example.  Do such places exist? Or do you just wear three sets of boxer shorts and peal them off day by day?  Is there a high-performance trailer option? ;D

2. Is the standard exhaust the best track solution, or if you live where there is little enforcement of sound ordinances?  Is there perhaps something smaller and less restrictive that might pick up a few HP and maybe enhance the exhaust note? 

3. Are the factory-upgrade adjustable seats worthwhile?  As many of my excursions will be of two or more hours, comfort is an important factor.  I figure that 85% of driving will be on the road with the rest being track time at places like Sebring, Daytona, and PBIR.  Will they stand up to a pouring rain like the standard fiberglas seats?

4. Speaking of which, living in Florida means the inevitability of surprise rain.  How well does the Honda engine, etc. handle driving in a downpour?  I read that the GM Ecotec powerplant had a variety of issues when operated in a deluge and that it would occasionally go into a 'get-home' mode due to moist electronics (re.: www.atomacrossamerica.org).  Same with the Honda?

5. Are there any popular aftermarket HP enhancements for the 245-HP engine variant without springing for the $7,100 for the supercharger? For example, is there a chip upgrade that might add a 10+ HP boost? What have others been doing to tweak these engines?

6. What are the wing options other than the pricey CF units from the factory?  To my inexpert eyes, it appears that the factory-optional rear wing is mounted rather low to achieve full-effect of airflow, and the front wing seems a tad small.  CF is great but if equally/more efficient - and cheaper - units made of fiberglas or aluminum are available, I'd like to consider them for later.

7. I'm thinking that for other than short trips, helmets will be required to reduce fatigue and am considering the Nolan N43 Trilogy.  While not Snell-approved, it has an exceptionally large eyeport and easily mates with the N-Com intercom system.  Good looking helmets, bespoke intercoms, and a decent price.  Does anyone have any experience with them? 

8. Importantly, is there an aftermarket hard-top option to go with my windshield?

9. On second thought, ignore item #8 - no windshield ordered. ;)

Many thanks for any suggestions you might have.  I know that a few of these questions have been covered in previous threads, but some are a little dated and perhaps there's more current info available.  And thanks for having such a wonderful forum for owners - and especially soon-to-be owners

Kim
Last edited by kepetersen on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lane

Re: Help! Questions from a Newbie

Post by Lane » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:14 am

Welcome Kim!

[quote="kepetersen"]
1. For extended trips, where are the micro-storage areas for a tooth brush, etc.?  From photos on the TMI website, I've detected an area forward of the passenger footrest where you could stuff a sweater or small gym bag (placing the fire extinguisher on the center console), but am not sure where else you might stow underwear or a car cover, for example.  Do such places exist? Or do you just wear three sets of boxer shorts and peal them off day by day?  Is there a high-performance trailer option? ;D
[/quote]

I've done 3 (with a 4th coming up in June) cross-country trips of more than 2300 miles each (posts about them are here: trip 1, trip 2, trip 3).  With two people in the car, I've found room for a backpack under the front lip of each seat.  Two medium-sized duffel bags fit on the passenger floor, as long as the passenger doesn't mind having their legs outstretched on top of them.  It's actually quite comfortable, contrary to how it looks. 

The two blue bags on top are folding chairs but they were too much.  Gave them away a short while into the trip so they wouldn't have to be carried any further.

Brammo used to provide a pouch the size of a soccer ball when a cover was purchased for the Atom 2.  Unfortunately, once the cover came out of this pouch, I found it absolutely impossible to fold & compress it properly to get it back in.  That pouch was the exact size of the cubbyhole under the bonnet.  Now I just fold the cover to be approx 2' x 2' and it fits just fine behind the seats near the center hump.  As I'm around 5'9", the one-piece seat is a few notches forward which allows several half-full backpacks to be massaged and wedged in behind the seats.  It's truly amazing how much stuff I can fit.  I've had people at shows take pictures of the pile after it is unloaded and on the ground behind the car because it was hard to believe.  In fact, this is a photo I found on the web that someone took of my stuff on one of the long trips:

The plastic bags are crude but effective temporary rain protection for the luggage, if it is needed.  There are a bunch of backpacks inside them.

People often suggest a trailer to me.  That would take the fun out of the car, having to contend with it being back there.  Might as well drive something practical then.

[quote="kepetersen"]
2. Is the standard exhaust the best track solution, or if you live where there is little enforcement of sound ordinances?  Is there perhaps something smaller and less restrictive that might pick up a few HP and maybe enhance the exhaust note? 
[/quote]

Spend some time searching the forums and you'll find quite a number of people with custom exhausts.  There were also a few companies making a full setup, but I'm not sure if they still are.  I stepped up to a full 3" with a quick-change muffler and use a Cherry Bomb Vortex for the street and a Borla for the track.  The thread on my set up is here.

[quote="kepetersen"]
3. Are the factory-upgrade adjustable seats worthwhile?  As many of my excursions will be of two or more hours, comfort is an important factor.  I figure that 85% of driving will be on the road with the rest being track time at places like Sebring, Daytona, and PBIR.  Will they stand up to a pouring rain like the standard fiberglas seats?
[/quote]

I've done 19 hours straight on a drive from Bristol TN to Wisconsin, with nothing more than 15-minute fuel stops.  The fiberglass makes a few of the bones in my back sore after 2-3 hours, but a piece of 1/2" neoprene foam behind my back took care of it.

[quote="kepetersen"]
4. Speaking of which, living in Florida means the inevitability of surprise rain.  How well does the Honda engine, etc. handle driving in a downpour?  I read that the GM Ecotec powerplant had a variety of issues when operated in a deluge and that it would occasionally go into a 'get-home' mode due to moist electronics (re.: www.atomacrossamerica.org).  Same with the Honda?
[/quote]

I've driven mine at least 3 times in downpours so fierce that I couldn't see.  Only problem I had was some sputtering as the engine didn't like ingesting that much water through the air intake.  Passenger held a folded towel up in front of the intake and it solved the problem.  No electrical issues.  Oh, one other problem though - the tires kick up pebbles that plug the drains in the floor.  But the car does perform just fine with 2 inches of water sloshing around on the floor.  ;D

[quote="kepetersen"]
5. Are there any popular aftermarket HP enhancements for the 245-HP engine variant without springing for the $7,100 for the supercharger? For example, is there a chip upgrade that might add a 10+ HP boost? What have others been doing to tweak these engines?
[/quote]

There seems to be quite an aftermarket for ECU tuning on the Hondas.  But I don't know that such an upgrade would be cost effective if it only nets you 10hp.  I know it is difficult, but consider giving yourself some time behind the wheel before you decide that the car needs more power.  I felt the same way before purchase also, but after seeing how it performed as-is, I decided to put the effort and money into other areas not related to hp.

[quote="kepetersen"]
6. What are the wing options other than the pricey CF units from the factory?  ...  if equally/more efficient - and cheaper - units made of fiberglas or aluminum are available, I'd like to consider them for later.
[/quote]

I'm with you 100% - there's an untapped market for an option in a lower cost category.  I'm currently looking at options with a local race fab shop and will report back when I know more.  Shinoo at Sector111.com has a rear wing option (see the blog on that site), but I'm not aware of what the price is.

[quote="kepetersen"]
7. I'm thinking that for other than short trips, helmets will be required to reduce fatigue and am considering the Nolan N43 Trilogy.  While not Snell-approved, it has an exceptionally large eyeport and easily mates with the N-Com intercom system.  Good looking helmets, bespoke intercoms, and a decent price.  Does anyone have any experience with them? 
[/quote]

Even if you don't feel you have a need for it now, it would be beneficial to buy a Snell rated helmet.  I don't know about your area, but many HPDE track days near me require it.  I ended up with a Pyrotect helmet this most recent time around because the eyeport (and indentations in the internal padding in strategic areas) work extremely well with glasses and intercom speakers.  Tried a bunch of Bell helmets before this and none of them seemed to fit right with glasses.

[quote="kepetersen"]
8. Importantly, is there an aftermarket hard-top option to go with my windshield?
9. On second thought, ignore item #8 - no windshield ordered. ;)
[/quote]

Oh, you just narrowly avoided some serious flames.  When people ask me that question, I point to my roof/hard top which is sitting in the passenger seat: Image
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:35 am

kepetersen wrote: 1. For extended trips, where are the micro-storage areas for a tooth brush, etc.?  From photos on the TMI website, I've detected an area forward of the passenger footrest where you could stuff a sweater or small gym bag (placing the fire extinguisher on the center console), but am not sure where else you might stow underwear or a car cover, for example.  Do such places exist? Or do you just wear three sets of boxer shorts and peal them off day by day?  Is there a high-performance trailer option? ;D
There's a cubbyhole under the hood that's "big enough for a fish" (per the famous Top Gear segment on the Atom).

I have filled the passenger seat and floor with stuff, particularly on my first cross-country trip. Remember, at that time the furthest anyone had driven from the factory (Brammo) was a few hundred miles:

[img width=399 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/HM0O7197.jpg[/img]

I pack somewhat less stuff these days (for example, I don't bring emergency gas).

I've done weekend getaways with a friend and the luggage (mine and hers) fits in the passenger side of the tub with her legs on top of it.
I can't comment on the Atom 3's exhaust. On the Atom 2, an aftermarket exhaust (either complete or at least removing the flex couplings) was necessary. 
If you will be switching drivers with any frequency, I'd look into adjustable seats. I have the Brammo Recaro seats in mine, and they don't mind the rain at all - however, you will find out why they call them "bucket" seats ;D
Again, I can't comment on the Honda. Don't let the fact that I'm too stubborn to stay out of the rain (that's my web site about my trip) deter you. I know of only one other Ecotec Atom that had anywhere near the shutdown problems I've had, and that was slowcharles' first car. His second one was fine, as far as I know. Some people have had the occasional shutdown, but for an understandable reason, like the connector getting unplugged from the throttle body.

As far as I can tell, the problem on mine is when the accelerator pedal (which is electrical on the Ecotec and a cable linkage on the Honda Atom 2's) gets crud washed into the sensors by rain. I'm working on a box to cover the top part.

Atom 3's use an electrical pedal, as far as I know. However, given that the UK has more owners that go out in the rain (what choice do they have?), I'd expect to have heard already if there were problems.

Back on the luggage situation - it is a good idea to keep some heavy-duty plastic bags handy to put your luggage into if it starts raining heavily. These are often sold as "contractor clean-up bags". Regular garbage bags won't hold up.
On track, you're going to need a Snell-rated helmet. Depending on the event, you may be able to get away with an M (motorcycle) Snell. But a SA will be approved everywhere. Depending on how tall you are, the seating and windscreen options chosen, etc., you may find that you get too much lift with a helmet. This is a matter of trial and error. My first helmet had terrible lift problems and gave me a stiff neck after about 20 minutes, but my second one (which was sold as the same thing as the first one, except Snell 2005 instead of 2000) is just fine.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:39 am

[quote="Lane"]
Brammo used to provide a pouch the size of a soccer ball when a cover was purchased for the Atom 2.  Unfortunately, once the cover came out of this pouch, I found it absolutely impossible to fold & compress it properly to get it back in. [/quote]

I've had a lot of practice with this (rolling it up every day for 45 days will do that ;D). I describe my method in this post.

kepetersen

Post by kepetersen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:43 am

Lane:

Many thanks for the generous response - with pictures no less!  All of what you say makes great sense, and I'm amazed and delighted by what you've been able to stow onboard your Atom. I wonder if the more generously cushioned upgrade seats provide less room behind. One solution would be to limit passengers to munchkin-size or less and move their seat way forward.

On the helmet issue, I have both an Arai and Bell helmet that I use for racing, but they're heavy, hot, and with limited visibility – not ideal for in-town traffic.  For non-track events, I figured the Nolan would fit the bill admirably – but not having actually seen or worn one I'd like to hear from someone who has.

I'll look forward to reading your several referenced posts; if they're written as well as your response to mine, they'll offer a gold mine of information.  

Kim

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:58 am

kepetersen wrote: I wonder if the more generously cushioned upgrade seats provide less room behind. One solution would be to limit passengers to munchkin-size or less and move their seat way forward.
That was certainly the case with the Recaros in the Brammo cars. They sort of make up for it by sliding easily, so you can slide one forward, stuff something back there (there's a good bit of room at the bottom and some at the top, not so much in the middle) and then slide the seat back.

[img width=399 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/HM0O7209.jpg[/img]
On the helmet issue, I have both an Arai and Bell helmet that I use for racing, but they're heavy, hot, and with limited visibility – not ideal for in-town traffic.  For non-track events, I figured the Nolan would fit the bill admirably – but not having actually seen or worn one I'd like to hear from someone who has.
As you going to fit the same intercom system in your track helmet(s)? Passenger helmet(s)? How popular is the Nolan where you are? I have an Autocom in mine, and that is the most common one my passengers have, so it works out well.

kepetersen

Post by kepetersen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 am

Terry:

More great information ... thanks! By the way, your travelog 'Across America' was really insightful when I was deciding to buy the Atom. 

As to your question, the Nolan N43 is a German helmet that is designed for motorcycles and has available Nolan-engineered helmet-to-helmet comms.  It has a very large eyeport and is DoT approved – but not Snell, so I'll use my race helmet for track events.  It even has a built-in tinted visor like those found on military aviator helmets.  I'm thinking of buying two, with one for any passenger that might dare ride along. Selecting a one-size-fits-all will be a challenge.  (See photo below)

Here's another question:  Without the bubble screens, where can you mount a Valentine One radar detector?  I'm thinking that the audio could be routed to the helmet speakers and the remote unit tucked under the dash – but where do you put the main unit so as not to block front or rear radar/laser signals and safeguard against the elements?

Kim
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Last edited by kepetersen on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 am

kepetersen wrote: More great information ... thanks! By the way, your travelog 'Across America' was really insightful when I was deciding to buy the Atom. 
That's good to hear! I generated a few sales when I drove cross-country the first time (Brammo had only delivered a few cars then - mine was among the first). Plus, a number of people who had Atoms on order came to see the Atom - one member even drove to Albuquerque, NM from Texas to see it!
As to your question, the Nolan N43 is a German helmet that is designed for motorcycles and has available Nolan-engineered helmet-to-helmet comms.  It has a very large eyeport and is DoT approved – but not Snell, so I'll use my race helmet for track events.  It even has a built-in tinted visor like those found on military aviator helmets.  I'm thinking of buying two, with one for any passenger that might dare ride along. Selecting a one-size-fits-all will be a challenge.  (See photo below)
I was trying (badly, I guess) to make the point that you'll need another intercom for your track helmet if you will have passengers (or an instructor) in the car and want an intercom.

As far as passenger helmet sizes, the wrong size helmet can sometimes be worse than no helmet. Particularly in the Atom, where you're less concerned with crush-type head injury as opposed to "egg rattling around in a pan" ones. I have a L and a S helmet for passengers, and anybody who needs a different size can either bring their own, or I won't drive the car at a speed / location where helmets would be necessary.
Here's another question:  Without the bubble screens, where can you mount a Valentine One radar detector?  I'm thinking that the audio could be routed to the helmet speakers and the remote unit tucked under the dash – but where do you put the main unit so as not to block front or rear radar/laser signals and safeguard against the elements?
That's a good question. Even with the bubble screens, you will likely lose rear laser sensing if there's someone in the seat. You could mount it on the airbox or hoop / rollbar, but that's pretty obvious. If you don't care about the rear, you could put the main unit in the nose and use the V1 remote display. You could do something clever like Velcro-ing the remote to the underside of the dash, for example.

I've actually poked around inside a V1. The microwave horn (radar) is one unit for front and rear sensing. However - there are separate infrared detectors for forward-facing and rearward-facing. It might be possible to relocate the rear sensor outside the V1 and put it in the back of the car. Obviously, that would void your warranty. Plus, I don't know how sensitive to false readings it would be, picking up electrical noise from the car. You'd also lose some rear radar sensitivity, since it will be sensing through the front and rear firewalls and the engine. People do use them in vans with no rear windows (so, 2 layers of sheet metal). I'd try it before making a mounting decision - there are usually some spots where you can get a reliable false reading, if you don't have a friendly officer with a radar gun handy for testing ;D

If I were to get really clever and the infrared sensors will work when relocated, I'd mount the main unit under the airbox cover (there's plenty of room in there, and there's no metal in the radar path in either direction) and remote both the front and rear infrared sensors, with an under-dash remote display. That would be truly stealthy...

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:46 pm

I bought a Nolan N43 to wear in my Atom.  I didn't know it was German, all the writing on the box said it was made in Italy.

It's hard to say how it compares to other helmets, as it's all I've worn in the Atom.  There's a lot of noise and on long trips I wear ear plugs. The tinted screen doesn't come low enough and the bottom of it is in your eye line, so I just use it as a blind to cover the sun in the top area of my eye sight.  I wore it for a about 4 hours the first day I'd used it, so no wearing it in, and it was fine.  Obviously this weather I can comment on the ventilation vents.  I think it's okay, but I wish it fastened with D rings rather than a ratchet system.

You can of course ignore all I've written, as I've only had my Atom a week, so what do I know. :wize:

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:16 pm

I've got a couple of HJC flip up type helmets with a scala intercom intalled. I never really use the intercom except to hear new passengers scream like little girls. The flip up feature makes it perfect for the Atom. I can't imagine driving the Atom with any other type of helmet. I use an Arai gp5 for the track.

I also have a V1 and I have an aero screen.  bought a remote display for the V1 and mounted it on the top of the aero screen with velcro, just below eyesight level. I see all warnings without any noise beeping. I would hate to have the audio option beeping in my ear every time a signal is picked up (all the time in town from alarm sytems and the like) I mount the main unit on the mirror stalk and it's coverd up with a black cloth cover (an old black sock, lol) The main unit detectors have a clear view of front and rear. Out on the open highway, I can pick up the CHP from miles away it is that sensitive with no glass or obstructions. Its removable in a second with the mounting velcro straps.

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 am

Can you take a photo of your V1 setup Pete?

Cheers