How does the TMI atom compare to the Brammo Atom

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Heywood-Yablowme

Re: How does the TMI atom compare to the Brammo Atom

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:05 am

They may not stop ALL engine vibrations,but they are a CRAP load better than zip. Certain destructive harmonic vibes are the ones that break frames,and cranks etc.These will not pass through even a simple isolator like the brammo Atom2 Ecotec has. We are not talking about having the sensation of riding in a limo. The brammo Ecotec mounts do enough to isolate harmful vibrations. Sometimes,you guys make me laugh.. :D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
They may not stop ALL engine vibrations,but they are a CRAP load better than zip. Certain destructive harmonic vibes are the ones that break frames,and cranks etc.These will not pass through  even a simple isolator like the Atom has. We are not talking about having the sensation of riding in a limo. The mounts do enough to isolate harmful vibrations. Sometimes,you guys make me laugh.. :D
[/quote]

I'm not laughing. Atom 1 cars have the motor bolted to the chassis.

From what I've seen the Atom 3 has significant rubberised mounts and as a passenger in one I experienced a very smooth ride. Whereas UK Atom 1 & 2 cars suffer breakages (particularly in lighting equipment) that are the result of vibration. If the Brammo Atom suffers similar failures then that is a difference that will show up over time when compared to the Atom 3 that is now being built by TMI and Ariel.
Last edited by wisp on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:29 am

[quote="wisp"]
They may not stop ALL engine vibrations,but they are a CRAP load better than zip. Certain destructive harmonic vibes are the ones that break frames,and cranks etc.These will not pass through  even a simple isolator like the Atom has. We are not talking about having the sensation of riding in a limo. The mounts do enough to isolate harmful vibrations. Sometimes,you guys make me laugh.. :D
[/quote]

I'm not laughing. Atom 1 cars have the motor bolted to the chassis.

From what I've seen the Atom 3 has significant rubberised mounts and as a passenger in one I experienced a very smooth ride. Whereas UK Atom 1 & 2 cars suffer breakages (particularly in lighting equipment) that are the result of vibration. If the Brammo Atom suffers similar failures then that is a difference that will show up over time when compared to the Atom 3 that is now being built by TMI and Ariel.
[/quote]

To confirm the engine is bolted directly to the chassis on my car (well via the gearbox on one side but the principal is the same.)

Ben

John H

Post by John H » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:32 am

[quote="slowcharles"]
I am thinking about buying a TMI Atom - the base $50k model- does anyone know how it compares to the Brammo Atom? Has anyone owned or driven both and has a valid opinion?

[/quote]
buy a LHD Atom 3 from Somerset and spec it for the US....the exchange rate is excellent at the mo for such antics.
How u doin anyway Charles...................??????
I am in NY in May, so will give u a shout then!

McFred

Post by McFred » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 pm

[quote="slowcharles"]I am thinking about buying a TMI Atom - the base $50k model- does anyone know how it compares to the Brammo Atom?[/quote]

I own a brammo atom 2 with a honda engine, and at atomfest2 I got a chance to ride in a few tmi atom 3's as well as look them over in detail.  There are a lot of various small differences between the two, but overall they are basically the same.  All atom's I've seen were high quality hand built machines that are an amazing experience on a race track.  The biggest difference I noticed in the ride is the more pronounced vibration in the atom 2 (due to stiffer engine mounts and no balance shafts) and more wind/buffeting without the "gun sight" wind deflectors.  If you get a brammo 2 with an ecotec (which has balance shafts) or one with the individual padded seats you may not even notice the vibration.  Personally, I prefer the vibration and wind as the driving experience becomes that much more visceral.  The 3's seemed pretty civil in comparison, but when you're not on a track maybe that's preferable.  There are some small details that are nice on the 2, and some that are better on the 3.  For instance, the brammo 2 is much easier to adjust the suspension, bleed the brakes, tune the fuel injection, etc. while the tmi 3 doesn't have near as many zip ties on the frame, comes with a functional header/exhaust, lets you remove the engine cover with a roll bar installed, etc.  I think there may have been a thread already on all the differences between the 2 and 3, and between the brammo/uk, honda/ecotec, etc.

Mota Leira

Post by Mota Leira » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:02 pm

At the risk of annoying you veterans who have probably discussed this ad nauseum, do the US Atom 3's now actually produce the horsepower advertised, or is that still an issue?

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:03 pm

[quote="Mota Leira"]
At the risk of annoying you veterans who have probably discussed this ad nauseum, do the US Atom 3's now actually produce the horsepower advertised, or is that still an issue?
[/quote]

that's a valid question and the answer is yes, in fact they produce MORE then advertised is a more accurate statement ....also to be specific the honda atom 2's didnt' have any defecit from advertised power, it's only the ecotecs.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:05 pm

[quote="Mota Leira"]
[/quote]
I do believe it has flipped the other way. They claim 300HP but it actually produces somewhere in the 320HP range.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Has anyone put an Atom3 on a dyno?

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 pm

[/quote]

yes several, If memory serves they are doing 280whp...course it's like 80tq hehe ok ok just kidding honda guys

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:44 pm

[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

yes several, If memory serves they are doing 280whp...course it's like 80tq hehe ok ok just kidding honda guys
[/quote]
I have just under 300ft lbs of torque in mine. Plus it's got six gears ;)

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:48 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have just under 300ft lbs of torque in mine. Plus it's got six gears ;)
[/quote]

yes I'm sure you do, and a $30,000 engine I suspect...........or is it up to $60,000 for both............p.s. that is pure jealousy talking :drool: