DDM twin-charged upgrade kit

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
benyeats

Re: DDM twin-charged upgrade kit

Post by benyeats » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:26 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
Didn't Randy make arrangements with the highway patrol for the 2007 AtomFest Sonic run?
[/quote]

well that would explain the drive back to Hallett  :laugh:
[/quote]

I think I saw more of rural Oklahoma that night than the entire rest of the week!

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:42 pm

[quote="SkinnyPaleGuy"]
How hard do you guys think it would be to talk a county into closing a few roads for a few hours for some races? ... just a thought.....
[/quote]

Silver State Classic - Nevada and Big Bend ORR in Texas
Long closed roads and you pick the average speed your going for. Search Google for "Open Road Racing". If Nevada is too far West then there's also the Big Bend Open Road Race in Fort Stockton. Course is 59 miles each way of closed public road. Not 5.9 but FIFTY-Nine miles EACH way!. :)  We went there in 99 in my SS. I think the 200 mile avg was beat a few years back. The atom with it's harnesses, optional fire supression system, set of slicks/rated tires and a roll bar that'll pass tech should get you in the 150mph class fairly easy.

Not cheap though, but then what is?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:09 pm

150mph average class in an Atom?  I think you overestimate our cars there Driver.  :pop:

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:53 am

I was thinking Peter or Eddie who both have big engine work already done or in process and are crazy enough to go all out. :)  Realistically I know the 120-130 spot would be much more like it for the other mere mortals amongst Atom owners. Mandatory rollbars, fire suits and fire suppression doesn't kick in till the higher terminal velocities anyway. Been MANY years since I read the rule book, it's online there somewhere if one is really interested. I think the 100mph class was pretty much a stock corvette and a helmet but Atom owners on the BBOR course would be BORED at that speed. It's 4 lanes wide and has large shoulders, I've done 100 myself on that road when it was open on a normal day in my SS no biggie. Every additional 20-30 MPH over 100 and a few more safety items are required. The really big items I think kick in around the 155 mph mark. Full aero finished anyone?