throttle sensitivity

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
pitts12driver

throttle sensitivity

Post by pitts12driver » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 pm

I just picked up a used Atom 2 - with an ecotec engine and all of 460 miles since new.  The throttle sensitivity is killing me.  I feel like I'm riding a pogo stick unless I wedge my foot against the side of the tub, and barely roll the throttle on wit the side of my foot.  Is there any way to change the throttle map?  Other people must have gone through this years ago.

thanks for the help

NormLarson

Re: throttle sensitivity

Post by NormLarson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 am

The original ECU mapping isn't the best for slow power application.  Also, if yours is a very early car and still has the dryer hose for the air intake, changing that to the moulded intake helps a lot.  Brammo also had a ECU re-map that helped the early cars also.  Others on here have better maps than the Brammo one, but a dyno tune for your car is the best.  Attaching a shoe on the floor board for your foot to brace against should help also.  I was going to do that and after all of my tuning, I just didn't need it.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:21 am

"The throttle sensitivity is killing me."  If it's got the brammo "300hp" tune....it is tough to get used to,especially in first gear,slow speeds

Like Norm says,it can be tuned out.  I'm not in first gear very long,but I don't do much street driving. ;D

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:45 am

Vince with Trifecta Tuning does remote tuning.  He did my dyno tune, but, I am local to him.  Give him a call http://www.trifectaperformance.com/

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:24 am

This has bugged me also.  I've addressed it two ways - by slipping the clutch more than average from a start, and I've also widened the gas pedal so the side of my foot can rest on the frame tube and be steadied by it.  The latter helps a lot on long highway trips too to prevent leg fatigue.  I haven't posted any pics because it looks positively weird.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

ckalkhof

Post by ckalkhof » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:44 pm

I just flew down to VA to test drive a Atom 2 before I purchase and noticed the same thing.

This thread may help you: http://forum.atomclub.com/https://atomc ... ic.php?t=5

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Welcome ckalkhof.

What did you think of the drive and did you buy the car?

ckalkhof

Post by ckalkhof » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 am

I've always loved the Atom.  Unless I chicken out Monday when I go to the bank to wire the money, I should be an official owner within a week!

I sold my Exige about a year ago. Since that time I've been looking for something a bit different. I don't think you can get more different than an Atom!

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:24 am

Don't chicken out, these cars are awesome  :o Go for it you know you want to!  ;D ;D

ckalkhof

Post by ckalkhof » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:46 am

:)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:38 am

The Atom can be..raw in its delivered state,but have no fear..the beast can be harnessed!

There is nothing else like it.

Sure,there may be faster cars,or sexier bodied..but the Atom is unique in a world of.... practical transportation....:D

ckalkhof

Post by ckalkhof » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:24 am

Amen brother -  >:D

I was suprised at how easy the back end would kick out (seems the nature of the beast) and all the debris that finds it's way into the cockpit, face etc.... I only drove the car few minutes but,  when I was done there was a small pile of gravel in my crotch! 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:05 am

[quote="ckalkhof"]
I was suprised at how easy the back end would kick out (seems the nature of the beast).[/quote]

Was that a Brammo Atom 2? Brammo delivered them with a rather "unusual" setup. There's a good discussion about it here.

ckalkhof

Post by ckalkhof » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Yes Brammo Atom 2.

Excellent info - Thanks for the link.
Last edited by ckalkhof on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

GNU

Post by GNU » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:27 am

[quote="Norm"]
Vince with Trifecta Tuning does remote tuning.  He did my dyno tune, but, I am local to him.  Give him a call http://www.trifectaperformance.com/
[/quote]

I've just talked to Vince and will most likely have him look at my ECU.
The issues that I'm looking for solutions for are:
  • "Pogo stick throttle" as pitts12driver so delicately put it
    Locate some lost performance (I might get a smaller SC pulley before this)
    Change the ECU code so that it won't throw errors on known things (the fuel pump etc.)