Pikes Peak anyone?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
MonsieurX

Pikes Peak anyone?

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi, im a fan of Pikes Peak...

I was wondering if any of you ever tried to race an Atom up there?

Would be wicked to try, i drull of it!

Cost would be prohibitive for me to even dream of it but still, anyone with a chase cam and car (i imagine a multi color squadron of Atoms...) would make an awesome spetacle and probably a decent run - something to send in Ken Block's sphere...

;D

Any takers?  :pop:

benyeats

Re: Pikes Peak anyone?

Post by benyeats » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Half of the climb is of unfinished / gravel road so not ideal Atom territory, as those who were with me on the way to the Stelvio on the Alpine tour will concur (sorry about that chaps)

However post this year's event it is being tarmacced all the way up so will have fresh Atom friendly roads so your plan is good.

I expect to be in the area January if any local owners fancy giving it a go, I appreciate that snow will add an extra challenge!

Ben

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Its closed at times, so may not be open in Jan.  You never know.

Sucks they are paving it all the way to the top... the excuse about errosion destroying a national monument.. yeah... as if this is a new problem.  :td:

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:34 pm

I have spent a lot of time fly fishing in the high elevation plains around Pikes Peak in the summers past. I have been to the top once. It's a fantastic drive up the mountain. In the summer months the area is notorious for wicked afternoon thunderstorms. When I drove up there, the lightning was all around me and the thunder was just body shattering. Truly an amazing experience being litteraly inside a major thunderstorm.

The Atom would require extensive modifications to comply with the safety requirements. From a full roll cage to firewalls, to fire systems and new approved seats and probably a metal floor. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a car from somebody who built it to comply with the rules a previous year and then upgrade it to suit.

I would certainly love to drive my Atom to Colorado on a big road trip to be a spectator someday.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:27 pm

benyeats > Dude, that's the point! Drift in the dirt like a Lancia Stratos did!

I owned a Saporro and even without LSD it was just tits to ride it in the snow or dirt with semi slick tires (i couldn't afford new ones at the time!)

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:16 am

[quote="MonsieurX"]
Hi, im a fan of Pikes Peak...

I was wondering if any of you ever tried to race an Atom up there?[/quote]

While not a race, you can drive an Atom to the top of Mount Evans, which is (slightly) taller than Pikes Peak:

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:26 pm

I've been up Pikes Peak to the top in a rental car, driving at fairly conservative speeds and must say that you would have to be absolutely out of your mind to race up that mountain in any kind of car, let alone an Atom!  It would be one scary ride at speed, that's for sure.  You would need at least 6" of clearance, and preferably more if you were actually trying to "race" in any fashion.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:36 pm

i lived through 8 chicago winters and 8 summers in Ecuador, im sure i can handle it ;)
Doing a 11" time would surely be mental but i can imagine it...

I'd love to race up there in an Atom...