Where to buy replacement parts and other stuff

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
positron

Re: Where to buy replacement parts and other stuff

Post by positron » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:41 pm

It'd be good to have a spare since they are no longer using this motor in production vehicles..

Clutch components are cheaper than I expected..

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:12 pm

As long as you get it on line.  My local dealers always use suggested retail.  I've picked up a bunch of stuff from GMpartsdirect.com and they are much less expensive. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Weather proof connector starter kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
Attachments
sum-900403_cp.jpg
sum-900403_cp.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 808 times

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Excellent work Bolus! \  I've been looking for ones and twos with no luck.  Bulk yes but who needs 30?
This is THE best idea to come along on WP connectors.
Is there a special crimping tool and tine removal tool for non destructive disassembly?  I think I've come across it some time ago.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:24 pm

Here are some general tools for weather pack connectors.  You can get individual connectors there too
http://www.whiteproducts.net/tools.shtml

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 pm

The suggested parts tab on the Summit starter kit yields:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... w=64&N=700+

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Ye hoo!  Seriously, thanks.  A CF body and stalk rear turn signal project was being held up due to lack of the right connectors.
Many, many thanks.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 am

[quote="Spanky"]
Here are the screws I got for replacing the one at the top every upright when putting in the conical safety washers. They will still need to have the head cross drilled for the safety wire.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/de ... ?sku=93915
[/quote]

To expand on this, here's something I sent in a PM to another member when they asked the same question:

[quote="Terry Kennedy in PM"]Your best bet is to go to your local Fastenal store with a list of part numbers (and alternates) that you've found using their step search tool. Many of the parts won't be in stock, but they'll have them sent from another location or a main warehouse.

Notes: 1) Don't try ordering online. Nothing will happen. Trust me.
          2) Don't bother calling to see if they have the parts in stock. They can't be bothered. Just show up.

You can use the fastener torque list here to see the specs of the parts that are currently on the car. Select an equivalent or better part from Fastenal.

For example, the big bolts on the uprights get step searched like this:

Code: Select all

Category: Fasteners > Sockets > Socket Cap Screws (remove) 
Attributes
Diameter: 5/8" (remove) 
Thread Size: 18 (remove) 
Length: 1-1/2" (remove) 
Type: Socket Cap Screw (remove) 
Drive: Hex (remove) 
Finish: Zinc (remove) 
which gets you to part 93914. That has almost all the information you need to know, but doesn't tell you the grade (strength). So click on the "Printed Catalog Index" link to find the catalog page (in this case, page 3-45). That doesn't list the grade, so work back through the pages until you find the start of the section. In this case, that's on page 3-39, where it says "Socket Head Cap Screws are heat treated, have a black-oxide finish, and exceed Grade 8 strength. Diameters through 1/2" have Rockwell hardness of C39-45 and minimum tensile strength of 180,000 psi; diameters over 1/2" have Rockwell hardness of C37-45 and minimum tensile strength of 170,000 psi. Alloy steel conforms to ASTM A574. Length is measured from under head."

Obviously, you'll want the next longer size, 1 3/4".

Any bolts that have holes for safety wire should either be ordered with the "drilled" option, or (if not available in the spec you want) drilled by you using a saftey wire drilling rig like this one.[/quote]

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 am

Any leads on the 10-hole fuel fill neck gasket on the tank? Seems it's an odd size. I'm in need of one and don't really wish to make one.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 am

[quote="Positron"]
Any leads on the 10-hole fuel fill neck gasket on the tank? Seems it's an odd size. I'm in need of one and don't really wish to make one.
[/quote]

The easiest thing to do when replacing custom Atom parts is to contact TMI and see if they have any stock of the part you need. If they have one, they can sell it to you, and if it turns out it isn't really a custom part and they don't have any, they can at least tell you where you can go to buy one.

Folks, remember - TMI provides support for all US Atoms - TMI *and* Brammo builds.

I don't know what their pricing is like for non-custom parts. Brammo normally marked up non-custom parts (things that came in, sat, and were used or sold) by 30%. Other markups were from 10% to 100% depending on the part (for custom parts).

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:20 am

Non/slow callback cancels easiest.. if I can purchase from Summit et al with 2-3 day delivery, guess where I'll shop?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:26 am

[quote="Positron"]
Non/slow callback cancels easiest.. if I can purchase from Summit et al with 2-3 day delivery, guess where I'll shop?
[/quote]

If that was directed to my reply immediately above, I suggested using TMI for parts you can't locate (which, therefore, might be custom). For off-the-shelf stuff that is commonly available, buy from whoever makes you happy.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:38 am

Thanks but I haven't exhausted the collective yet.. but concur with once part not locatable..

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 am

You sure yours is 10.  mine has 12 bolts.  Fuelsafe carries a few gaskets

http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/custom.pdf
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 754 times
Last edited by bolus on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:04 am

Went out and checked, just to make sure I hadn't brain farted. 10 - neck and fuel pump. Odd part is that I'm assuming the BC is Bolt Center radius and mine is a good site larger than 3 1/8" it's actually 4 3/4" so maybe I could poke my own holes on a 12 hole..