Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Gage

Re: Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011

Post by Gage » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Anybody ask how much it costs per race?  Its a 32k car, but if you're required to buy into 70% of the races..  ???
[/quote]

I think it is $210 per race.   Also, based on how much excitement this is generating, I think it is more likely that it "was" a 32k car.    :)
Last edited by Gage on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:13 am

I love this!

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:41 am

Has the format beed discussed/finalized? Is this to be wheel to wheel actual racing..passing anywhere,any time..all 10 cars out on track at the same time racing?  Or is this to be a time trial form of competition.
Any idea on the actual tires to be specified? 
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:14 am

It's real racing with all SRA's on track going for the flag!
Tires are going to be all the same so it does not matter which ones since they are all the same (probably Yokohama's of some sort per TMI as they are sponsors)

There will be no contact rules (major penalties if you do) but otherwise its real balls to the walls racing.

All the first 10 cars are sold :)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:18 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Anybody ask how much it costs per race?  Its a 32k car, but if you're required to buy into 70% of the races..  ??? [/quote]

In terms of maintenance and wear items, as you know Darth, the Atom is the best at running cheap.  Most race cars go through tires, brakes, and fuel like crazy, and use the most expensive types of each.  Even my Spec Miata costs more to run on the track than the Atom.  Besides its obvious speed & overall awesomeness, IMO this is the best thing about driving an Atom hard.  Assuming no crash damage or fluke failures, these cars should be able to do this entire 10 race season without needing anything but nut & bolt checks, occaisional oil changes, and maybe a set of rear tires.  DIRT CHEAP!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:41 am

I was talking about entry fees - just trying to see the angle here.  Is this a $210 race entry, or is this a $1500 race entry.  How are they offering a new atom for 32k... What is it missing, and are they collecting more money on the races to offset the car price reduction... Stuff like that.

Just trying to understand the angle.  Don't misunderstand, I think this is a great thing and wish I could jump into something like this. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:48 pm

"Tires are going to be all the same so it does not matter.."  It may not matter to you,but it does to me. I have NO desire to drive an Atom on track with street tires. Not even if it were free.  (well,maybe then...)

positron

Post by positron » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:40 pm

[quote="CalScot"]

All the first 10 cars are sold :)

[/quote]

Damn it Max.. do you have 13 cars now??.. Image

payne

Post by payne » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:20 pm

1) Are they going to lead the cars for driver weight?  I'm 6"3" and probably have 50lbs on Pete, and Ive met a few atom owners that have 50 lbs on me.  If one car is 1450 for car and driver and the other is 1500 for car and driver, you're giving a pretty big advantage to the lighter driver, no?  at 200rwhp, that's 7.25 lbs per hp vs 7.5 lbs per hp, and would take 7hp to even out.

2) Can we do a 2012 California Series sponsored by Sector 111?  I had lunch with Karl yesterday and we think we could easily get 10 drivers.  Would be awesome to do Thill, Sears, Laguna, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and maybe Reno.

Cheers,
Jason

positron

Post by positron » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 pm

[quote="payne"]
2) Can we do a 2012 California Series sponsored by Sector 111?  I had lunch with Karl yesterday and we think we could easily get 10 drivers.  Would be awesome to do Thill, Sears, Laguna, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and maybe Reno.

Cheers,
Jason
[/quote]

Sounds good to me but lets save some time and send the trophy to Darin and let the rest of us play..  ;D

Reno not so much so.. Spring Mt is a better course and Buttonwillow is getting tired they seem to only run 13CW it must be the only runable pavement left.
Last edited by positron on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:02 pm

If we do a CA series, I'm definitely joining !

atomaker

Post by atomaker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Thought we'd post some background & update info re SRA for the benefit of North American forum members:

- 10 deposits already taken to date (special 'Founding Member' package deal & pricing)
      - Pricing for #11+ cars to be released shortly; still a genuine racing bargain!
      - No tricks or strings attached to ownership of an SRA or participation in series (except that it's not a road car); it will all be as clearly documented in released info
      - We simply couldn't do this without the great cooperation & support received from VIR's ownership, management & staff
      - VIR's beautiful & very comprehensive facilities provide our resident SRA series with one of the most desireable race venues in North America - what a start! 
      - 2011 SRA series @ VIR to establish a unique 'package' template for potential future adoption by other motorsports country clubs & memberships (really 'Serious Fun' & seriously low cost, competitive racing)
      - We're racers at heart & by background; we already have significant overall experience with tracking Ariel Atoms, both commercially (AAE) & independently (testing; development; demonstrations; etc.)
      - We know how very cost efficient Atoms really are compared to so many other so-called low cost, purpose-built race or track-day cars
      - We have wanted to develop an Atom-based series that seriously addressed both initial purchase cost + ongoing operating/maintenance costs, for quite some time
      - We also wanted a series offering high levels of car performance + driver skill development & skills showcasing opportunities
      - By combining various significant economies of scale with prudent race-car specification & component selection + some other valuable incentives available to us, we're able to offer a very capable & safe, uniquely purpose-built race car variant of the Ariel Atom 3 at an extremely attractive all-inclusive price point
      - We then took that high value price point and offered unique & substantial further discounts & subsidies to establish our special Founding Member initial pricing on the 1st lot of 10 SRA cars - now we have a firm series foundation
      - Our trackside factory location here at VIR obviously provides us/our SRA buyers with many other benefits not typically available when buying a race car and/or competing in such a series
      - Also of note, many purpose-built race cars effectively require building or 'rebuilding' upon initial receipt; our SRA cars will all be 100% complete, dynoed, individually track tested and ready to race - that simply adds to the high value!
      - We see some possible potential to let some suitably prepared non-SRA Atoms run in the series but obviously the car specifications would vary widely and this may prove problematic; if SRA is to grow to include other possible locations it's essential that the car specs remain consistent amongst all 'competing' cars; this allows for the possibility of legitimate eventual run-offs, etc.     
      - Obviously the past couple of years have been tough going for many US businesses, super-performance car & racing industries included; we're all looking towards bigger & better things in 2011; we're planning for the SRA series (+ the AAE & even Atom SuperFest) to help support an aggressive new initiative by TMI to promote & grow Ariel Atom ownership in North America!

Best,
Dave Goadby & Team TMI 

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:10 pm

[quote="payne"]
1) Are they going to lead the cars for driver weight?  I'm 6"3" and probably have 50lbs on Pete, and Ive met a few atom owners that have 50 lbs on me.  If one car is 1450 for car and driver and the other is 1500 for car and driver, you're giving a pretty big advantage to the lighter driver, no?  at 200rwhp, that's 7.25 lbs per hp vs 7.5 lbs per hp, and would take 7hp to even out.

2) Can we do a 2012 California Series sponsored by Sector 111?  I had lunch with Karl yesterday and we think we could easily get 10 drivers.  Would be awesome to do Thill, Sears, Laguna, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and maybe Reno.

Cheers,
Jason
[/quote]
I seriously doubt you have 50lbs on me, I'm a fat wee bastard at 195Lbs  :laugh:

Many "spec" series's have a weight for just for the car, some a combination of both car & driver with a minimum overall. Big heavy drivers have a disadvantage over skinny light ones in almost every pro series, which is why most successful drivers are like racing snakes. Remember the arguments about Danica Patrick in Indycar because she was so light! That's just the way it is. In the F2000, the minimum weight is 1275, with driver. I'm over 1300 in the car. It's a huge handicap to me over half the others (young kids) who all need some lead in the car to make weight. Bottom line is I need to stop drinking wine and stuffing my face and get to the gym, or be happy being mid pack and have fun! I have no idea on what rules TMI has in mind but I imagine it will be a simple rule with a minimum weight, either the car alone or a car & driver minimum with a target (average) driver weight of 160 or something like that. It would be a total cluster &%#$ if they tried to match all cars & drivers to the same weight.

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
"Tires are going to be all the same so it does not matter.."  It may not matter to you,but it does to me. I have NO desire to drive an Atom on track with street tires. Not even if it were free.  (well,maybe then...)
[/quote]
To each his own. I'm sure they could run slicks, but then the guy with money willing to spend $1100 a weekend on a fresh set, or $2200 on two sets, would have an advantage over the guy who does not. That's the big argument in general on "spec" racing. However, the alternative is runaway costs and an advantage to the guy who spends the most money. I can certainly make my Atom go faster with slicks, race gas and punching out it's max power and it's  a huge thrill to do it, but I get no competitive satisfaction from beating other Atoms or Porsche's or whatever it is, because my car simply has sh1t loads of money pumped into it and that's why it's fast. I have just as much fun in my Atom on track with street tires. It's all about going as fast as you can with what you've got and doing that alongside others is competition. You either get it, or you don't!

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I was talking about entry fees - just trying to see the angle here.  Is this a $210 race entry, or is this a $1500 race entry.  How are they offering a new atom for 32k... What is it missing, and are they collecting more money on the races to offset the car price reduction... Stuff like that.

Just trying to understand the angle.  Don't misunderstand, I think this is a great thing and wish I could jump into something like this. 
[/quote]

Here's what I remember TMI saying:
The base cost is $32K and the first 10 cars are subsidized to get the concept rolling. VIR chipped in a membership for this price as well ($2500 worth) After the first 10 cars, price goes up.

Each race day is $200 (or $210??)
Six months free SRA storage at TMI. $100 per month thereafter.
$100 month VIR membership dues.

Other estimates, per weekend are:
Fuel for the weekend $100 (93octane pump gas x 30 gallons)
Hotel at VIR $300 (discounted member rate, very nice room x 3 nights)
Food $200
Drink $2000  :laugh:
Rental car form Airport $80 (includes gas)
Airfare $300 Avg
Airport Parking $30
Pro rated tire cost per weekend $400 (Ao48 or similar x 4 race days Rears, 10 race days fronts)
Brake pads, oil, misc. per weekend $50

Depending on your taste, location and appetite for tires, your looking at about $1300 to $1800 for a full race weekend assuming you have to fly in. That, is very cheap racing and less than it cost me per weekend just on tires to run in F2000.

FutureAtom

Post by FutureAtom » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:09 am

Just wondering if you guys think the spec racer atom races have potential, and if you think that it may be popular in the future. Of course SRA only races.

I personally like the idea of a spec car races. I know some of you like to mod your call and all, but it would be nice to focus on driver skill, I think a spec car is the way to go.

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:41 pm

[quote="FutureAtom"]
Just wondering if you guys think the spec racer atom races have potential, and if you think that it may be popular in the future. Of course SRA only races.

I personally like the idea of a spec car races. I know some of you like to mod your call and all, but it would be nice to focus on driver skill, I think a spec car is the way to go.

[/quote]I think a spec racer series would be awesome. If it ever grew enough so that there were races in the Texas area, I would consider selling my current Atom and getting a spec. Spec Miata seems to rule the roost for amateur racing. I suppose low cost for the vehicle is the main reason. I could see the SRA spreading across the country, but because of the Atom cost, I doubt that it will ever be truely widespread.