I forgot how much fun the Atom is

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Terry Kennedy

Re: I forgot how much fun the Atom is

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
I also replaced the 4-wire cable that connects the dash to the control box with a 6-wire cable, which involved getting a custom coiled cord made and replacing the quick-disconnect connectors where the wheel cable connects to the control box (and also on the separate programmng cable).[/quote]

Since I got an emailed question about this, here's a picture of the wiring on the back of the wheel and the new custom cable and plug. If you've seen a stock Microdash cable before, you'll see that this is a lot cleaner than what SPA provides when new:

[img width=640 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/6F5S7545-s.jpg[/img]

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[img width=750 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/6F5S7544-s.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I like the idea of the LEDs either side of the turn signal switch. The telltales in my Spa Dash are obscured by the top of my steering wheel. Same goes for the 'lights on' and 'high beam' lamps as well.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 am

[quote="wisp"]
I like the idea of the LEDs either side of the turn signal switch. The telltales in my Spa Dash are obscured by the top of my steering wheel. Same goes for the 'lights on' and 'high beam' lamps as well.
[/quote]

Actually, they're incandescent bulbs (from Radio Shack). The only LED's on the dash are the immobilizer status (to avoid running down the battery) and the check engine light (which you can't see as it is behind the steering wheel between the light switch and the high beam indicator). They're also both from Radio Shack.

If you have a shift-light steering wheel now, or are willing to get one, you coukd re-purpose it to display turn indications on the left and right groups of lights and any other signal on the center group. All you'd do would be to plug the wheel into the original dash connector when you wanted shift lights, and into my new box when you wanted turn indicators. This could easily be switched when you do your other street-to-track setup changes, and when you change back. 

I have an Autocom intercom box which has a bunch of inputs. I built a tone generator out of a 556 timer IC so the indicators also go "bwaaap bwaap bwaap" in time with the lights blinking, in my left ear (for left turns) and my right ear (for right turns). This should probably work for any type of intercom that accepts a stereo input and lets you control the volume (at least to some point - my tone box also has a volume control in case the intercom doesn't have enough adjustment range (always too loud or never loud enough). Hookup is trivial - 3 wires to the dash (ground, left flash and right flash), Velcro the box somewhere convenient, and plug a mini cable between it and your intercom box. If there's interest I could make up a bunch of 'em (I can't see the cost being more than $35 or so, even if I added fancy adjustments like what pitch you wanted the noise to be - there's already a volume control). Of course, if you have a passenger in the Atom and their helmet is hooked up to the intercom, they hear it too. But then that's true even in a normal car where the clicking comes out of the dashboard somewhere.

Since I have the MicroDash and almost everybody else has the KitDash, I'd need to see some pictures of the back of the dash (where the turn signal switch is) to confirm that installation will be just as easy on those cars. The idea is to avoid needing to go behind the hazard switch / lamp, because it looks a bit like the Bloomin' Onion from Outback - layers and layers of all the turn signal wires, all with little masking-tape flags on them to say what they do.

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:16 pm

A great morning at Supercar Sunday with Nick and Chris, followed by a smash through my all-time favourite SoCal Canyon. Ducatis, Evos and Subarus moving out the way. Dear God the Atom needs lithium or something. It really is an utter joy.