GM to put turbocharged Ecotec in the 08 Cobalt,the 2.0 LNF motor.Atom 3 option?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Gage

Re: GM to put turbocharged Ecotec in the 08 Cobalt,the 2.0 LNF motor.Atom 3 option?

Post by Gage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:38 pm

[quote="Driver"]
nOT WORRIED ABOUTTHE TURBO SETUP BEING LIGHTER. mORE WORRIED ABOU THE aTOM BEING SO MUCH LIGHTER THAN ANY OTHER VEHICLE SAID TURBO 'WORKS' ON. (OOPS CAPS lock). I have ridden in MANY turbo cars and ALL the ones with a high hp:weight ratio were tweeky and tending to "spool up" and launch in a surge that could easily unsettle the chassis. Some you just waited to point it straight before standing on it. Again, it would have to be carefully matched in something like the Atom or it could do more harm than good.

And yes, I love the sound of a blower but a turbo has it's advantages as well like you mentioned. A blow off valve sounds cool t0o if you know what it's for. :)
[/quote]

But Driver,  those cars required much higher horsepower and torque numbers and correspondingly larger turbo's to produce impressive power to weight ratio's.  It would be very easy to build a 300 plus horsepower Atom with smooth power delivery BECAUSE it is so light.  450hp and above and it becomes a different game.  The dyno chart on 1,000 hp Supra's for example are ugly.    I had a 275 wheel horse power modified Lancer Evolution that was very very smooth. 

MadMaxedAtom

Re: GM to put turbocharged Ecotec in the 08 Cobalt,the 2.0 LNF motor.Atom 3 option?

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:02 am

LAS VEGAS - Oct. 28, 2007 â?? Celebrating the performance community that comprises SEMA, Chevrolet used the annual convention of all things high-performance to announce the 2008 Cobalt SS coupe. True to its legendary moniker, the Cobalt SS delivers a balance of track-proven performance capability, driving refinement and premium features â?? along with an undeniably fun and youthful character.

Developed by GM Performance Division (GMPD) and powered by a 260-horsepower (194 kW) turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L Ecotec engine, the Cobalt SS delivers 55 horses (41 kW) more than the previous Cobalt SS Supercharged, and its driving experience was validated on racetracks throughout North America and Europe, including Germanyâ??s legendary Nürburgring circuit.

â??The Cobalt SS is the very essence of Chevroletâ??s fun spirit and serious performance,â?� said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. â??The horsepower will put a permanent smile on your face and youâ??ll find yourself wanting to turn around and zip through your favorite stretch of twisty roads again.â?�

The Cobalt SS coupe arrives in dealerships in the second quarter of 2008. A Cobalt SS sedan, with all of the same high-performance features of the coupe, follows a couple of months later.

These cars will have stock twin scroll turbochargers as well.

Told ya so!  ;D ;D  We gotta do something to keep, up with CalScots Honda.. :tu: :tu:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:40 pm

It will probably be cheaper in the long run to just do a complete engine swap to one of these badboys.  And then... turn up the juice a little bit of course :)

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Supposed to have a six speed transaxle too.. :tu: :tu: 

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever learned if the 2.0 Liter Turbocharged LNF from the 08 Cobalt SS and up can be cleanly swapped with the LSJ?  Isn't the 07 Cobalt SS motor what lies in the Ecotec Atoms  now?        Would the mount points be the same?

Just curious.

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I ask in part because Hahn Race craft made 323whp and 361 foot pounds of torque with the following mods:

Modifications:

Hahn RaceCraft 3” SS CatBack Exhaust

Hahn RaceCraft/BSR PPC Tuner

Hahn RaceCraft CoolRam Intake System

Hahn RaceCraft HP Intercooler

Hahn RaceCraft Charge Air Piping

Hahn RaceCraft MaxFlow Downpipe

http://www.turbosystem.com/ProjectVehic ... tSS-TC.htm

And if the engine fits that would suuure cover your missing power.  Grin

silver

Post by silver » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 pm

that torque.....OMG that torque. haha

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 pm

[quote="silver"]
that torque.....OMG that torque. haha
[/quote]

Exactly.  My thinking is, it has GOT to have the same mount points.  However, I'm usually an optimist.

Did you see how simple the mod list was?  LoL

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:39 pm

The LNF goes..you have to use a different clutch setup/flywheel, I believe.Mounts are the same. It is a doable mod..but using the TVS brings you close to those numbers without the engine swap. Once they (the LNF's ) become a little more common in bone yards I am going to grab one for "stock". So many cool options for the Ecotec Atoms... ;D

silver

Post by silver » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 pm

mad....does the TVS come close to those torque numbers though? I know the HP is close but I was thinking the torque for harrop was much much lower then 360

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:55 pm

With current mods, I am at 333 whp and 287 lb ft and it is very flaaaat

Gage

Post by Gage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:31 am

More fun LNF Information:

Additionally, the Ecotec 2.0-liter Turbo four benefits from variable valve timing and an intercooled, twin-scroll turbocharger system to provide boost. A dual-scroll design is used on the exhaust turbine and speeds up velocity and response, much in the same way a two-plane intake manifold performs the identical function. The result is a nearly lag-free system, one that gives the 2.0-liter four the feel of a much larger engine. Dual cam phasing complements the turbocharging by optimizing valve timing at lower rpm for best turbo response and quick engine build-up time. "There is virtually no lag with this system," says Ed Groff, assistant chief engineer, Ecotec 2.0-liter Turbo engine. "Throttle response is immediate. The engine acts like it has a larger displacement engine."

Its turbocharger provides up to approximately 20 pounds of boost. It is matched to the engine's displacement and performance objectives, and is supported by the air-to-air intercooling system, which reduces inlet temperature pf the turbo-compressed air by approximately 212 degrees (100 degrees C), enhancing performance because cooler air is denser

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: GM to put turbocharged Ecotec in the 08 Cobalt,the 2.0 LNF motor.Atom 3 opti

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:04 am

I have driven both the LNF powered Cobalt and the LSJ Cobalt. The LNF is faster,but not by the degree the numbers would indicate.  The motors are basically the same,besides the way air is forced into the cylinders. If you mod the LSJ,you will be faster.If you mod the LNF you will be faster. So it goes. You can convert the LSJ to a turbo.like many have. You can also twin charge the LSJ (ZZ Performance sells a kit) If you need the biggest numbers out of your car,a turbo is the way to go. I personally don't believe the F35 transaxle and axles will handle greater than 350whp on track for very long without failure,so I am not interested in getting high HP figures. My BONE STOCK LSJ ATOM2 has been unbeatable at various track events (offically timed) so I don't see the need to have much more than 300whp in an Atom.(I currently have about 230whp)  However,I do understand the need some have for MORE,because it is plain fun.
There are many other ways to make a car faster around a race track,and most of them will improve your times MUCH more than greater HP. But they are SO boring to talk about.
I am sure someone will install an LNF powerplant in an Atom soon,and I doubt the Earth will move.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Re: GM to put turbocharged Ecotec in the 08 Cobalt,the 2.0 LNF motor.Atom 3 opti

Post by NormLarson » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Max, you could always have a girdle welded up to minimize the flex between the shafts of the F35 and it would hold more.  It is case flex that contributes to sudden transmission failure more than the internal parts.  It is just a thin pot metal case that is all we have.  I saw a thread on this on one of the Cobalt forums