Atom at Hallett (very long)

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
1965Cobra427

Re: Atom at Hallett (very long)

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:35 am

Went back to Hallett this weekend. Had great fun mixing it up with the likes of Ferrarris, Porsches, BMW-M Roadster, M-B SLK, numerous Corvettes, etc. This car is fast and fun! Slicks and Track brake package are on order, hopefully before next month's track day.

Here's a couple of brief snippets from Saturday. Low quality but sound of S/C Ecotec comes through pretty well.

Had fun with the Mustang GT!

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:48 am

I can't watch the video at work... but I sure will when I get home. Sounds like the Road Race bug has bitten you. May I suggest you join your NASA region, NASA TEXAS and join in the Grass Roots racing spirit. I'm a Member of NASA Rocky Mountain... maybe next season we can meet at Nationals. :)

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:09 am

[quote="KenAZUSA"]
I've rented and driven a spec racer at ButtonWillow in CA and had a blast......
[/quote]

Great track!!  :tu:

Mattr762

Post by Mattr762 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:25 pm

[quote="1965Cobra427"]

Here's a couple of brief snippets from Saturday. Low quality but sound of S/C Ecotec comes through pretty well.

[/quote]
Take me next time for a new camera man! I've got the most steady hands in Tulsa and I know how to opperate the zoom!  :laugh:

1965Cobra427,
I feel somewhat of a connection with you because I'm a member of clubcobra.com, ffcobra.com and here. I'm also a member of elisetalk.com forum.

I just can't decide which car to get. My wife wants the Cobra (which has been my dream car forever) but the practability of the Elise makes me lean that way while the speed, rarity and form of the Atom are calling me.

Later,
Matt

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:45 pm

[quote="Mattr762"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]

[/quote]
Take me next time for a new camera man! I've got the most steady hands in Tulsa and I know how to opperate the zoom!  :laugh:

1965Cobra427,
I feel somewhat of a connection with you because I'm a member of clubcobra.com, ffcobra.com and here. I'm also a member of elisetalk.com forum.

I just can't decide which car to get. My wife wants the Cobra (which has been my dream car forever) but the practability of the Elise makes me lean that way while the speed, rarity and form of the Atom are calling me.

Later,
Matt
[/quote]

Sell your house and get all three? (I'm sure your wife would love that...)  :D

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:32 pm

[quote="Mattr762"]
Take me next time for a new camera man! I've got the most steady hands in Tulsa and I know how to opperate the zoom! 
[/quote]

I'm planning on making HST every month. Next up is September 23. Hopefully I'll have my slicks and maybe the Track brake package by then. I'll be there regardless. Will try to have my in-car camera sorted better by then too, but will bring a second hand-held too. Would appreciate more help. I'll PM you as the date approaches.

On October 12, a group of NW Arkansas enthusiasts will be renting the track for the day. At least one Elise will be there along with other European and Asian sportscars of various types. If you can arrange to come, you should be able to get back to back ride-alongs in the Atom and Elise. As to the Cobra vs Atom, I prefer the Atom so far. When I get my new one completed, I'll have a back-to-back experience with it too.
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattr762

Post by Mattr762 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:24 pm

I just got an e-mail from connie at hallet:
Round 7 COMMA at Hallett Sept 23-24
Only ONE group of High Speed Touring Saturday and ONE Sunday.

BMW CCA  joining us for both days.
The Bimmers are gonna love you flying past them!  :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:08 pm

It'll give them a rabbit to try and chase down.... :)

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:02 pm

Mattr762 wrote: I just got an e-mail from connie at hallet:
Round 7 COMMA at Hallett Sept 23-24
Only ONE group of High Speed Touring Saturday and ONE Sunday.

BMW CCA  joining us for both days.
The Bimmers are gonna love you flying past them!  :tu:
They will probably run in their own sessions. That's why the HST only gets one group instead of the normal two. It will be fun anyway. I hope to have a set of A048's on the car by then.

Mattr762

Post by Mattr762 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:53 am

1965Cobra427,
Are you still planning on being at Hallet next weekend? If so, what which day? Both?

I'd love to come out there and meet you and the Atom.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:43 pm

[quote="Mattr762"]
1965Cobra427,
Are you still planning on being at Hallet next weekend? If so, what which day? Both?
I'd love to come out there and meet you and the Atom.
[/quote]

I plan to be there on Saturday only. Should have the Atom and my Silver C6.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:35 pm

ttt for interest to new users.

As a point of reference, the original setup of the car was way off and on the ES-100 tires, the drive was exciting, but the lap times slow. Since then this car has run a best of 1:21.2 with a more proper setup and slicks. during the time I owned the car, I did not modify the engine for increased power beyond the 245 Brammo setup. This car gave me many, many days of pleasure at the track, terrified many passengers and amazed the owners of other 'fast' cars as we went flying by. We were ultimately moved out of the High speed Touring (street car) group and into the formula race car group where our lap times usually put us in mid pack. Of course Atoms were the only ones in that class wearing a license plate!
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:13 am

Hi, Randy -

Great fun to read your first impressions of your Atom in '06 (I missed the original posting so thanks for bringing it back).

I think it's amazing to see the times you posted back then, compared to what's being done at Hallett now.  Also to see you taking baby steps getting comfortable with the Atom and now organizing a killer event like AFII, all in the span of only three years -- very, very cool.

Great repost, and thank you and the volunteers so much for a great time at AFII.  I hope you know that it was an off-the-chart event -- it was a hell of a lunatic fringe group that ended up coming to Hallett!

We're damn fortunate to have such passion for the Atom and an organizer like yourself -- thank you for an unforgettable week, Randy!

a
Last edited by atomathics on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:51 am

Im just chiming in to say thanks again for Atom Fest 1 

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:34 am

Dear Randy:
Fantastic post and very good writing!  The personal references you included, especially about fatigue, give your post special charm.

You wrote:
Hallett is one of only a few courses in the US that can run either clockwise or counterclockwise. All of the turns, braking areas, pit entrances, etc. are configured for bi-directional operation.

I have a couple of questions about that.  Let me use Daytona International Speedway to compare and contrast with Hallett.

Do you mean to say that it would be physically impossible to run Daytona the opposite direction the roadracers run it, which is counterclockwise?  Or is it something else about the track that prohibits it from being run clockwise, that Hallett does not suffer from?

If it is just NASCAR politics that prohibits clockwise running at Daytona, well, that's how it is.

Thanks!

Jacob Potts :-)