Disconnecting Fire Suppression system

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
capblaster

Disconnecting Fire Suppression system

Post by capblaster » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:17 pm

I am trying to figure out how to remove the external fire handle on an Ecotech Atom 2 so that I can remove the dash. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

atomathics

Re: Disconnecting Fire Suppression system

Post by atomathics » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:06 am

It's a Safecraft system, right?  I am 90% sure that the handle is bonded and there's no way to remove it.  You'll have to pull the cotter pin so you can carefully rotate the dash screen out of the way.  The fire handle stays in place, but now lacks the safety pin, so it could be easy to discharge.

Another option is that you could unscrew the activation cable at the extinguisher head and pull the cable slack.  This would give you plenty of room to move the screen out of the way.  Safecraft recommended inserting the set screw on the fire bottle head while the cable is detached as a way to keep the discharge bracket from moving.  I've not tried this, I'd like to hope that the set screw isn't necessary.

The last option is you could notch the screen with a Dremel so you don't have to deal with this every time.

If anyone has another suggestion, please post it up.  I wish the handle would simply unscrew!
Last edited by atomathics on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 am

By "dash", I'm assuming that you mean the part with the bubbles, not the part with the horn.

Anyway, my dash has a slot where the fire handle comes through, and so you just remove the screws, and remove the dash.
If you have the Safecraft pin in the handle, I would suggest zip-tying the pin in there, so you don't accidentally pull it out, and then accidentally pull the handle.

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:58 am

I did pull the pin out to see if the handle would unscrew. Now I can't find the hole in the handle to line up the holes to put the pin back craziest thing.
It seems like my choices are to disconnect the cable or cut a hole in the dash (bubble area)

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:59 am

Anyway, my dash has a slot where the fire handle comes through, and so you just remove the screws, and remove the dash

Would you happen to have a picture that you can post so I can see the size and shape of the hole in the dash?

[/quote]
Last edited by capblaster on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 am

[quote="capblaster"]
Would you happen to have a picture that you can post so I can see the size and shape of the hole in the dash?
[/quote]

Here's a picture from my Brammo Atom - may be useful, may not:

Picture credit: David Woolery

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:05 am

Depending to what extent your trying to remove, I just remove the nut under the handle, remove fasteners from dash cover and rotate enough to get to what I'm trying to get to. For full removal it's pretty simple to remove round plastic cover on extinguisher head and loosen set screws, remove the nut under the handle and gently slide them out. As long as they are loose and handle loose it shouldn't activate the bottle as it is moving as an assembly..

Besides how are you suppose to remove the bottle to have periodic inspections.

When I replaced my dash it had not yet taken a set so I really didn't want to cut the slot and not have then like up so I cut a hole and mounted as above. I've found it's easier to just rotate out of the way to check underneath.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:33 am

Did just check with Safecraft today and that handle is not removable from the cable...

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 am

oops, double post, nothing to see here...

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:55 pm

yep it's attached to the cable assy. If you want it off/out you'll have to removal the entire cable assembly.

It's not hard.