New Atom 3 questions

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Cptnrob

New Atom 3 questions

Post by Cptnrob » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Ok, I've been drooling over the Atom for a while now.  Poked around for a used one, but can never find one.  Where do people put them up for sale here in the states?  In the UK they're easy to find.  I decided maybe I should just get a new one.  Couple questions first.  Is it better to order an Atom 3 decked out with all the goodies or get the basic stuff and upgrade it with aftermarket parts?  It would be used for occassional track days for entertainment only, nothing serious.  I'd like the 300, but what others options should I really get/need for that use?  I'd also like to be able to register it to drive around town and take some road trips with.  Anyone have any luck registering an Atom 3 in TX?  I know there's several Atom 2s registered.  Is it a pain?

AtomMadStew

Re: New Atom 3 questions

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:15 pm

theres an orange Atom 2 for sale on pistonheads.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1493984.htm.

Cptnrob

Post by Cptnrob » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 am

Thanks for the heads up.  I must have missed that one amond all the UK ones.  Didn't know they had US listings on there at all.

Is there a huge advantage of a 3 vs a 2, enough so that it would be better to go with the 3?  I've noticed some people sell their 2s in favor of 3s is why I ask.

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:33 am

[quote="Cptnrob"]
Where do people put them up for sale here in the states?
[/quote]

Instructions here will allow you to put your location in your avatar so that each of your posts will indicate where you are.

It seems like one comes across eBay at least once a month, so it is definitely worth watching out there.  And there have been a few recent deals quite favorable to the buyer.

[quote="Cptnrob"]
I'd like the 300, but what others options should I really get/need for that use?  I'd also like to be able to register it to drive around town and take some road trips with.
[/quote]

Nobody likes how they look, but the side panels are very effective at keeping wind, dust, gravel, and rain out of the cockpit.  I've driven with them and without them, and they are worthwhile on the street.  I've done three 2300-mile road trips so far and have appreciated them greatly.  Individual seats may be more butt-friendly for long trips, but I've found adequate comfort from a neoprene foam pad added to the fiberglass seats.  Enough to be fine with one 17-hour stretch of driving that I did (TN to WI).  If you'll have a passenger for trips, an in-helmet intercom system is a requirement.  I was reluctant to spend the coin on one originally, but now I couldn't imagine not having it.

[quote="Cptnrob"]
Is there a huge advantage of a 3 vs a 2, enough so that it would be better to go with the 3?
[/quote]

I absolutely love the Ecotec motor in the 2, but GM vs Honda for motor is a matter of personal preference.  If you can find a pre-owned 2 in the proper condition and with the options that you need, I wouldn't hesitate.  When I bought mine new, it was only because there were absolutely none offered used.  Also, purchasing used may allow you to take advantage of the prior owner having gone through the registration process, and you'd likely get your car with less of a wait.  Registration after a transfer may be easier than what you'd need to go through for a new purchase (which depends on the state you're in, of course).  Other owners that live in TX will be able to lend advice in that area.

[quote="Cptnrob"]
I've noticed some people sell their 2s in favor of 3s is why I ask.
[/quote]

I'm not sure why that is.  Some people have to have the newest and shiniest, or want different options than what their other car offers?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:03 pm

CptnRob,

You could also post a wanted add in the appropriate forum section named "wanted/for sale"  :H:

I haven't looked, but you could also try the US used dealers like DupontRegistry, etc...

But the best place is on this forum, pistonheads, etc... Eventually calling TMI or Ariel Motors UK

Welcome to the club...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Having had 2 atoms with the side panels, I would not opt for them agian. I don't use them and would rather not have the tabs on my frame.

I bought a top of the line autocom, never used it and couldn't give it away at this point - worst purchase ever!

I feel the motor selection is not a matter of personal preference. I would suggest driving both cars, then selecting your favorite taking the price difference into consideration. Don't take anyones word for it.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:45 pm

[quote="Cptnrob"]
Ok, I've been drooling over the Atom for a while now.  Poked around for a used one, but can never find one.  Where do people put them up for sale here in the states?  In the UK they're easy to find.  I decided maybe I should just get a new one.  Couple questions first.  Is it better to order an Atom 3 decked out with all the goodies or get the basic stuff and upgrade it with aftermarket parts?  It would be used for occassional track days for entertainment only, nothing serious.  I'd like the 300, but what others options should I really get/need for that use?  I'd also like to be able to register it to drive around town and take some road trips with.  Anyone have any luck registering an Atom 3 in TX?  I know there's several Atom 2s registered.  Is it a pain?
[/quote]

registering a 3 should be the same level of easiness as a 2 in Texas

there's always some available on ebay keep checking if you want an atom 2, if you want a 3 get it from TMI as there's not a long wait.

if you are wondering if it's easy to upgrade brakes or shocks after NO, just get what you want from TMI it's best that way.

if you get the side panels and the tabs then it's easier to display your tags for Texas..that's the only reason I purchased the side panels, and it works perfect

as far as a 300....if you're talking ecotec, you can get a 205 up to 300 it's all about the same, if you're talking atom 3 then the 300 will have the supercharger.

if you want an atom2 with 300hp you'll have to do modifications after you purchase to achieve those numbers

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Cptnrob,

As an enthusiastic Atom II owner with over 6,000 miles of both track and street fun, and now the authorized Ariel Atom dealer for Texas (and Oklahoma and Arkansas), I can probably answer many of your questions now, and will try to find out anything else you'd like to know.  

My daughter, Sabrina, does finance, insurance, and registration, here at our dealership, and can tell you what she did to register mine. I and/or Sabrina will be happy to discuss any of this with you. Our dealership is Eddie Hill's Fun Cycles, and our main number is 940/322/4121, but our line four is the least busy and it is 940/322/4312.

I think it may be somewhat different in Dallas, but Sabrina has a good friend who works in a similar position for a Dallas area dealer and she should be able to tell us what the differences are, if any.  

I have been blessed with very many fun rides in my lifetime; and I can assure you that the Atom is one of the most fun rides possible on four wheels.  I certainly believe it is the most cost effective, fun- per -dollar ride available.

Thanks,
Eddie ;D
Last edited by FourFather on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.