Atom seat-comfortable?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Bruce Fielding

Re: Atom seat-comfortable?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:00 pm

6'4" but your arms should definitely be bent, and your legs should be too... I have mine on the furthest back setting. Really, it depends on how your 6' is divided...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm 6 foot, but no car yet (hopefully two wks time) . With your arm bent at 90 deg. I think u're too close to the steering wheel. i've read somewhere that an ideal position is when u hold the wheel, your elbow should be slightly bent at about 40-45 deg. And your leg should still be slightly bent when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:57 pm

Seat sorted.  Went out for another drive in the new position.  Drove like a plonker, totally uncomfortable and still wanted to sit up.  Old seat position fitted, add foam = feel good again.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:03 pm

Good news that you've sorted the position. One other thing you could explore is having a spacer added to the steering wheel. I had one on my Mk1 which brought the wheel an inch or so nearer and it was brilliant.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:46 pm

That is a good idea Bruce.  Does it work with a detachable steering wheel though?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Yup

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:40 pm

Do you know how much that would cost roughly?

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:58 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
6'4" but your arms should definitely be bent, and your legs should be too... I have mine on the furthest back setting. Really, it depends on how your 6' is divided...
[/quote]

5' 4" and I have my seat set on the furthest forward setting.  Arms bent legs bent  ra  ra ra (there's a song there I think!!).

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:55 am

[quote="Adam T"]
Do you know how much that would cost roughly?
[/quote]

Not even smoothly! Ask Tom...

stupot

Post by stupot » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:51 pm

I had a very similar issue and spoke to Tom at the Autosport Show and he suggested a spacer - £30 + VAT. It arrived today.
Attachments
Spacer1.jpg
Spacer1.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 329 times
Spacer.jpg
Spacer.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 329 times
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

Mitch Millett

Post by Mitch Millett » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Stu, did you get that from Ariel?

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:03 pm

You can find it on Demontweaks or other car parts dealers.
Concerning seats the "problem" is coming from the new one they have made since April 2005, with flat car bottom.
My first Atom had "normal" seats which were more vertical than the new owns and so much more comfortable.
A french owner had made 2 wholes in the seat to put it more vertical (and so some small centimeters higher), that much better, but he was obliged to do supplementary wholes because it touch the handbrake mechanism...
In the new seats it's impossible to drive the car with helmet in contact with back of the seat so the seat is not in a good position or you need a minimum of 5 to 10cm of foam.. much to much.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Mitch Millett

Post by Mitch Millett » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:08 pm

I ordered a steering spacer from Demon Tweeks but it doesn't fit the RaceTech steering wheel hence my question as to where Stu got his spacer from. I know about the seat mods and think mine is pre-modification as it is nearly two years old now.

coxm

Post by coxm » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm 6'0" with a deep breath, and that's the setting that I have Puff's seat on.

You need to have your arms bent, otherwise you have very little leverage on the wheel.  I have very long arms, and they are about at right angles with the seating position as described.  Losing the handbrake improves things no end.

The other thing that you can do to make the seat more comfortable and, if you like alter the rake a little, is to get one of the kits of expanding foam that you use in Formula cars.  Set the seat right for your legs, sit where you want to vertically and pour the expanding foam into the gap (in a poly bag).  They are brilliant.  We use them in the Clio for different sized people, so we don't have to move the seat during a race.  I have been meaning to put one in Puff for a while, since I fnd that there is more space than I need width-ways, so I slide around a bit in the seat.  Demon Thieves do them too.

MC

themann42

Post by themann42 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:26 pm

do the recardo seats have many options for adjustment?