Thread Hijacks

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.

Should we admonish those who use threads for off-thread dialogues?

You may select 1 option

View results

Bruce Fielding

Thread Hijacks

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:34 pm

One of the great things that Atom Owners have in common is a great cameraderie. However, this sometimes expresses itself as general chattering in threads. In fact, looking through many of the threads, there's lots of good info in this Forum that has absolutley no relevance to the topic at the top of the column.

If there's a separate point to make, it's incredibly easy to start another thread. And if you want to chat, the PM system on this forum software works a treat! However, that might spoil the flow of the forum.

Should we try to stay on topic! Or is rambling part of the fun of forums?
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Angie-Babe

Re: Thread Hijacks

Post by Angie-Babe » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Definately Ramblin is part of the fun.
Last edited by Angie-Babe on Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:15 pm

I'm not rambling I'm just sitting here.

Rambling is definatly part of the fun of the forum and the good info will still show up in a search of old posts.

Ben

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:40 am

Bruce,

Whats "the PM system" mean?

Off topic on a thread always starts in a small way and then grows to take over that thread.  Moving a parts of a thread or trying to start a new thread will break up the flow.  Lets keep rambling, althoug I don't like walking, so lets keep on waffling.  ;D

jaimin

Post by jaimin » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:01 am

JL-Private messages. LIke AIM or MSN, except it waits for you to return to the site for you to see them, if your not online at the time.

Bruce- I would agree with you on the point that topics need to stay on track, especially when someone is searching the forums for an answer to a question, but with a forum of this size it would be easier to just let threads develop in their own way. The only exception is if its 1 page of useful info, and 10 pages of banter.

On another board I read there is a 115 pg topic on cars vehicles and the Japanese anime series Inital D, and the moderators there would rather the thread stay that way instead of starting a new thread for every episode, and eveny new car, or thought regarding those topics.

ross

Post by ross » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm

I really don't think it's realistic to police the threads to be honest.  If they go off at a tangent, that's just the way it is and is part of what makes a forum a forum.

The only things that should be avoided/removed are off topic 'new' threads.  eg. some random none-technical chatter in the technical board etc.

Cheers, Ross.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:24 pm

Bruce must have been feeling hormonal  ;D

Dezoris

Post by Dezoris » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:39 pm

BAN EVERYONE DELETE ALL THREADS NOW!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:10 pm

OK. It seems there's not too much to worry about.

A gentle, occasional nudge when things dissolve into a dialogue between two members about  "what are you having for your tea" seems to be all that's needed...

ross

Post by ross » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:11 pm

Yep, agreed.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Ryevita with low-fat spread cheese

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:21 pm

I used to advertise Ryvita (did the 'inch war' campaign) and once ate a whole packet in under an hour. My bowels weren't happy...

Did you know there's a thick butter side and a thin butter side?

I could bore for Britain on the subject of crispbreads (at least crispbreads from 1979....)

Angie-Babe

Post by Angie-Babe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:18 pm

And Guess what Bruce John has been for another Jog tonight, too scared of the dark to go alone, so I let him beat me back to the house as one does. 

I know the right side to eat my rivita  (thick butter side)  ;)

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:03 am

Ryevita?

Must be a English thing....  :P

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:26 am

I like pizza! ;D