Autocar review

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
markwetherall

Re: Autocar review

Post by markwetherall » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:29 am

I didn't think that 3.1 Seconds with 2 people in it was to bad. Even they said that it could go quicker. 680Kg is about right as mine weighed in at that as well with a full tank of fuel. Pretty sure it will be slightly slower than a 3.5r 0-60 but around a track I think it will be much quicker. They timed it at 0.5 seconds slower around the track than the V8 which was incredible. I must be one of the only people that doesn't miss the supercharger whine and is happy with the turbo noises

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 am

markwetherall wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:29 am I must be one of the only people that doesn't miss the supercharger whine and is happy with the turbo noises
Nope, you're not. I was always in the minority (loathed the SC whine) but I adore the chuffs/ whistles of the 4. With relatively few 4 owners out on the road, still, I guess time shall tell if others like it or not.

Cheers,
Hedge

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:45 am

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ariel/atom-4

Its the yellow panel car, but no sports exhaust on the pics...strange

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:07 am

speedmachine wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:45 am https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ariel/atom-4

Its the yellow panel car, but no sports exhaust on the pics...strange
That has been confirmed to be the 350 factory demo car, and you can spec the 350 pack minus the sports exhaust.

I must be bored i just specced the car up from the pictures and there are LOADS of options on that car and it goes over £61k. I do wish they were more honest with the pricing in reviews. It obviously makes a HUGE difference to the judgement.
the myriad other optional extras that pushed our test car’s price up to £54,307. But even for that money, this car seems like stellar value for all sorts of reasons.
But is it still stellar value at over £61k? Thats quite a difference.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:10 am

No its correct, 61k minus 10% club member discount makes 54k.
Surely you got the discount too? I know I did...

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:11 am

speedmachine wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:10 am No its correct, 61k minus 10% club member discount makes 54k.
Surely you got the discount too? I know I did...
Yes of course, but the should state the RRP for non-members. ;)

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:25 pm

In terms of whether £61k is value or not is of course subjective but being petrol heads the only way to do this is to compare the Atom 4 with other cars in the same sort of category.

The only cars in this price point that are vaguely similar that are road legal, are:

Caterham 620R
Some of the cheap Porches like Cayman, Boxster this won't even get a GT4
BMW M2 competition (but it really is not in the same league)
Lotus Exige S3 - lower powered ones, maybe the 350
..can't think of anymore remotely in the same league

Cars in the same league (in my opinion):
Ultima RS (depending on spec but you can't build one for less than £75k)
BAC Mono (ridiculous price for a Ford EcoBoost, Lamborghini prices) £150k
Radical Rapture (road version) £109k
Donkervoort GTO RS > £100k
New TVR Griffith £90k
Lambo Huracan £155k

So at £61k there is not a lot of choice. I believe this is Ariel's value prop that few others have. Explains the wait list most probably.

Are there better cars, yes for sure but they cost more and anyway there is always a better car.

Simon

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Simon,

I agree they are still just about reasonably priced. I bought one! ;) Not stellar value / cheap, but still competitive for sure.

BUT its bad practice to under-state costs to people IMO. Thats all.

Reviewers did the same to the top spec 3.5R's with sequential, which are usually stated at vastly under-estimated prices. For a review its just plain wrong. 3.5 R prices started at £64K new google tells me, and you could spec them over £100k. Seen loads of idiotic reviews with prices far too low.

Like this piece of fiction from 5th gear stating £58k for the 3.5 R with wings, mag wheels, ohlins and SADEV. Nope! :td:

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Peter255 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:32 pm BUT its bad practice to under-state costs to people IMO. Thats all.
I think it's even worse when it's an Ariel product.

In many cars, the options are reasonably inconsequential, and have little if any effect on how they drive, or are to live with.

But if you spec'd an Atom 4 with at it's base price, you really wouldn't get anything like what was reviewed.

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Yep the journos are simply not well informed and mislead people when they do that.

It's like the recent Atom 4 video from Top Gear, you know the one where the car does'nt actually move. The guy says the car starts at under £40k. You cannot get a new Atom 4 on the road for £40k. There is one benefit to this, it is easier to sell the purchase to the wife!

But a lot of manufacturers seem to do this. Ultima say you can build an RS for BMW M3 prices, you can but with no engine, gearbox and drive chain and even then it's a really basic example.

That said, the Atom 4 is the cheapest track and road car for the performance and handling that there is.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:37 pm

However... What I do like about Ariel is the ability to upgrade as budgets / confidence increases.

You CAN buy a £40k car (plus VAT) and be happy. Then later upgrade to big brakes. Then a suspension upgrade. Then more power. Hell, maybe even make it road legal. Then - heaven forbid - a heated windscreen and winch, with under body protection; if you're lucky enough to own a Nomad ;-)

Sure, comparing 'from' prices with specs as tested by journos are a world apart, but they are achievable.

Especially if - like me - you want a garage full of discarded car parts that nobody will ever want to buy...

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:34 am

Five star for me
Screenshot_20191019-093340_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191019-093340_Chrome.jpg (737.15 KiB) Viewed 678 times

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Karl V wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:37 pm You CAN buy a £40k car (plus VAT) and be happy.
But Karl for £40k you'd not be on the road legally, or have a half decent car! Maybe you'd be happy initially but regret things later. ;)

With no LSD and small brakes all round you'd be at some risk if you seriously push on. Your face would also be taken off by the lack of aero screen and subsequent buffeting. All the nuts and bolts would go rusty after the first year as they aren't stainless. If you go on track you could ruin the engine as there is no baffled sump. The stock mirrors are massive plastic horrors! I could go on....

The car is sub £40k only for tax purposes. There is a reason why the factory demo cars ALL have options fitted.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:27 pm

I like the wing mirrors. At least I have great visibility when driving and they don't look as bad as you say.

Corky

Post by Corky » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:15 am

Top Gear article:
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-re ... -project-8

The concluding part to come.
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS