Atom 4 - driving impressions

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
markwetherall

Atom 4 - In Build and collection

Post by markwetherall » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Ok, now I have some miles on the clock of the Atom 4.

Firstly don't compare it with the 3 series Atom. Completely different is just about every aspect. I did 20k miles in 3 years in my 3 and what I can tell you is the 4 is nothing like it. The car is completely dominated by the engine, the whooshes and noises coming from your left ear are just so very different and absolutely brilliant. Go past a cyclist you don't like and take your foot of the throttle, makes them jump every time.

The steering is just so very different. I can actually do a 3 point turn with it without my arms dropping off and also not an 8 point turn. The feedback is just what you want in every way.

The seating position is very different and much more suited to the car. The dash is brilliant. I can actually see the indicator lights. The lap timer is going to be fun as well. Standard with the new dash

Traction and boost are well worth the money with the 350bhp animal sitting behind you. They inspire so much confidence in the car, you can just plant your foot down and let the car fly.

Handbrake, it works and its where it should be, it doesn't cut your arm when you go over a bump

The performance is just so very different to the 3, there is no way a 3.5 would ever keep up, the torque is just adictive with the way it shifts the car. The extra weight makes the car feel really planted much more than the 3 ever did. Mine was weighed at 673kg fuelled and with big brakes so quite a bit heavier but all the better for it as with the extra power and suspension setup just makes it brilliant and well planted, much more than the 3. You can tell the aero has been worked on and with the extra weight as well.

All I can say is that Ariel have made a totally brilliant car, yet completely different to anything else they have made. Dont think of it as an upgrade rather a completely different car. Bit like comparing a 1980 porsche 911 to a new 911 992 version, they are that different

To all of you about to get your 4's. You are going to enjoy it

Peter255

Re: Atom 4

Post by Peter255 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Collection day! 8)

Quick thoughts on the drive home. Remember I am still running it in so not yet really opening it up!

Looks
I love the colour scheme and the carbon panels. Dash looks great, the circular traces around the digital rpm and speed gauges is a bit pointless tho.
Overall is looks good, definitely more modern, but not better than the old cars to my eyes. Hopefully it will grow on me.
Its not as pretty around the nose as the earlier cars as it is wider and looks a bit "squashed" to my eyes.
Still don't like the small drooping nosed air intake. Glad I went carbon to hide it a bit.

Suspension
Much improved over the old cars, but I am comparing to a 2 so maybe not such a improvement over a 3.5 with Ohlins for example.
Feels very stable and planted under cornering acceleration and braking, but I've not pushed it in any way yet.

Brakes
Too soon to tell really but seems solid as per older cars with big brakes.

Drive train
Completely different character to the older k20s.
Whistles all the time and the dump value coming off hardish acceleration is very noticeable.
Thus far I am honestly not a fan of how it sounds. I hope it grows on me, and I will happily accept it assuming it proves to be quicker run-in.
I miss the supercharger whine which was iconic in the older cars. :td:
Seems strong and pulls hard in the mid range, seemingly more than the older charged cars.
I can't really comment on top end acceleration etc as its not run in, but thus far when opened up a little it feels good. Fingers crossed.
Didn't feel any lag tbh. Happy to say that! :tu:
Seems like a smooth map on the 320s.
Clutch was still bedding in. Not much more I can say.
Like the handbrake and gearstick placement!
Didn't much like the engagement of the gears. Bit hard sometimes to find the right cog! But the box is still tight. Should improve.
6th gear is very long and acceleration there from normal speeds is slow.

Other comments
Seat is much deeper and more supporting, feels good but i'm not 100% comfortable in it yet after a few hours.
More windy on the right arm which now sits in the air flow in the side. Surprised me!
Love the keyless immobiliser.

Its a much more well rounded package in general. Seems more composed, smoother and hopefully faster and more grippy. But I can't say its more exciting.... yet. Hopefully when run in, and flat out it will be, but I reserve judgement on that one.
:vroom:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Hedge

Atom 4 - driving impressions

Post by Hedge » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:05 pm

So, having recently picked up my 4, I thought I'd pen a few thoughts on it. Hopefully one of the mods can filter out others findings, embedded in other feeds, & stick them in here so that people can glean a picture of what the new model is actually like to drive. Until you've bought one, you're unlikely to have actually driven one, given Ariel's test drive policy of passenger rides only...

I picked the new wagon up Friday, drove it 1.000 miles to/ in Wales & returned to Somerset Sunday afternoon. It had its first service & I then took it home. The only motorway mileage it racked up in those 1k miles were on the M5, from Crewkerne, to & from the Severn Bridge. All the others were A-roads & B-roads - more the latter, to be honest.

Spec wise, mine has (as upgrades) Ohlins, AP brakes & variable boost control. All the other additions are of the usual fare (aero screen, braided hoses, S/S fixings etc etc). Guess it is worth mentioning I did spec the reversing camera (it's brilliant) & matt black wheels. Mine hasn't got traction or launch control, nor has it the 350bhp upgrade. Oh & it does have a non-standard paint job (gold).

So, what's it like?

Well, I don't know if I'd missed this on the test drive I'd had but immediately upon turning out of the factory, I was struck by how comfortable the ride is next to the previous Atom iteration I'd had until a year ago (a 3.5 SC). Bearing in mind, the car's on Ohlins - the most track specific option you can have - I was expecting a much firmer ride. It isn't. It's very live-able.

Next, the noises.

There are whistles. The waste gate is constantly chirping away. It kind of hisses/ chatters constantly. In the same way looks are subjective, the sound(s) the engine makes is similar. I adore the noise(s) - & I wasn't sure I would, after the test drive. But I don't expect everyone shall. In the same way I couldn't stand the SC whine, many others loved it. It's a personal thing, end of. There's no V-Tec shizzle going on anymore, obvs (shame, that).

The (standard) exhaust doesn't make that much noise. A sports exhaust might, I don't know, but, aurally, not much going on with a standard job. Except at idling. Probably my biggest grumble (only, to date) of the car is the way the engine resonates at idle. It's boom-y. It kind of drills into your head in protracted traffic. Ho hum, not exactly the end of the world, but it shall be "a thing" to some, I'm sure.Whilst on the subject of noises, the Ohlins suspension - perhaps due to the absence of helper springs - is quiet. Not much clunking going on underneath you. Only the deeper holes in the road's surface will induce any yelps from the suspension.

The instrument dash is v slick. Very intuitive & easy to read. And, as I mentioned earlier, the reverse camera system works a treat. Takes a wee while to get to trust it but it's spot on. Handbrake, now in the middle, means you can rest your right forearm on a flat piece of the chassis. How the handbrake has now been situated means you can rest both arms on the car whilst you're driving & (just about) keep a hold of the steering wheel. I found myself steering with my knees whilst on the motorway in the end. Small things/ big gains.

Two individual seats now, rather than the one piece. You sit lower. You feel more "in" the car. The aero screens are a work of genius, how they've been designed. Figure this: in two days of warm temps & blue skies - the third was wet, very - each aero screen was absolutely covered in flies (obvs). My lid visor had 3. That in itself succinctly conveys how effective the screens are.

The steering is better. I can't quite describe how. I "think" it's lighter but I'm no expert. It defo has a smaller turning circle than before. It is still a very point-y car, rest assured.

Which neatly leads on to how it goes/ drives - I guess the bit that most (still) reading this are waiting for, given the title of the thread.

There's plenty of discussion on here about 0-60 times etc. How they appear to be fairly tame, next to the out going model. I didn't do any testing of times. Go through your first corner in earnest & you won't need to; you'll have all the answers you need after it. Whether it's the anti-squat, anti-dive, revised suspension pick up points or the stiffer chassis tubing. Each or - I suspect - all of it combine to make progress absolutely on a different level to any other Atom I've driven (this is my 4th). It is SO planted through corners, it's hard to believe, in a way the previous iterations just aren't. Where my 3.5 SC was (more than) occasionally fidgety or squirrely through a corner, this one ain't. Planted is the best way I can think of to describe it - yet doesn't adequately describe the difference justice, not at all. Until you've experienced it - & by that I mean actually driven it - it is really difficult to convey how much better the A4 corners. I was extremely sceptical about what the Ariel lads were telling me in the months leading up to build about how much of an improvement the new cars handling was - as well as the performance. I'd pretty much poo poo'd it, if I'm honest. But they're right. I also believe that, a couple of exceptions aside (Catchpole & Marriage) the majority of journalists haven't remotely well elucidated how big a leap the 4 is over the 3.5 in these respects.

Other bits? I love the look of the A4. Others don't. It's subjective, obvs. The key less thing is great. Belts are better. Feels more roomy in the cockpit. Rear end looks tidier. You do notice the increased width from the drivers seat - but soon get used to it. It's a wide car, the Atom. Now it's a wee bit wider, still.

Do you need the upgrade? If you're only ever going to use it on the road, of course not - but twas ever thus, re previous models (NA vs. SC). If you can afford it, though, why not? Whether you do or you don't, one car is not inferior to the other. I drove most of the time on Boost 1 - the Welsh roads I was on were mostly too small for anything more - & I found it "quite" quick (you can mash the throttle more in that setting, too). But a 320 is in no way a lesser car without the upgrade.

You all know the facts surrounding how much of the 3/3.5 was carried over into the 4. All I can say is that it's by far the biggest leap forward in Atom design since the car initially came out all those (near 20) years ago. If you're lucky enough to be on the list, congratulations, you're in for a treat. And if you're not, get on the list RIGHT NOW &/or beg someone to sell theirs in the meantime. It really is that good. Scrub that, it is awesome.

Feel free to fire away questions or flame. I'm easy, either way.

Cheers,
Hedge

markwetherall

Re: Atom 4 - driving impressions

Post by markwetherall » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:03 pm

I totally agree with everything you say. Only thing I would add is the traction is worth every penny in my opinion. When I was up in north wales I was able to leave on full boost for over taking and let the traction sort it out so I could just floor it. Huge Fun and what a great improvement over the previous versions. Glad you are enjoying it as much as I am. I wish I had gone for the Ohlins now after reading about yours, might have to have a word with the factory

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks for posting. I’m tempted by the Ohlins if they work on the road too, the Nitrons on my Elise are too stiff for typical B roads so I want to get something that works well everywhere.......plus they look fancy!
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

reg

Re: Atom 4 - In Build and collection

Post by reg » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:39 pm

markwetherall wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:27 pm Ok, now I have some miles on the clock of the Atom 4.

Firstly don't compare it with the 3 series Atom. Completely different is just about every aspect. I did 20k miles in 3 years in my 3 and what I can tell you is the 4 is nothing like it. The car is completely dominated by the engine, the whooshes and noises coming from your left ear are just so very different and absolutely brilliant. Go past a cyclist you don't like and take your foot of the throttle, makes them jump every time.

The steering is just so very different. I can actually do a 3 point turn with it without my arms dropping off and also not an 8 point turn. The feedback is just what you want in every way.

The seating position is very different and much more suited to the car. The dash is brilliant. I can actually see the indicator lights. The lap timer is going to be fun as well. Standard with the new dash

Traction and boost are well worth the money with the 350bhp animal sitting behind you. They inspire so much confidence in the car, you can just plant your foot down and let the car fly.

Handbrake, it works and its where it should be, it doesn't cut your arm when you go over a bump

The performance is just so very different to the 3, there is no way a 3.5 would ever keep up, the torque is just adictive with the way it shifts the car. The extra weight makes the car feel really planted much more than the 3 ever did. Mine was weighed at 673kg fuelled and with big brakes so quite a bit heavier but all the better for it as with the extra power and suspension setup just makes it brilliant and well planted, much more than the 3. You can tell the aero has been worked on and with the extra weight as well.

All I can say is that Ariel have made a totally brilliant car, yet completely different to anything else they have made. Dont think of it as an upgrade rather a completely different car. Bit like comparing a 1980 porsche 911 to a new 911 992 version, they are that different

To all of you about to get your 4's. You are going to enjoy it
673kg!

It’ll be interesting to see a proper back to back test. Difficult to say with mine as it has ARC dampers, which stop most of the roll and squat etc anyway. I got the vibes and the sort of bland low end feeling from the passenger ride in the 4. It’s more than likely the power ‘feels’ so much stronger due to the torque curve. Let’s see what Frankenstein ends up like [mention]irg100[/mention] ;)
I think the dash needs a new skin, it’s a bit basic compared to others, the tech is there. Integrated sat nav, diagnostics, Bluetooth to the headset, just needs more thought.
Look forward to more thoughts...

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Having only owned an Atom for two minutes, you can all tell me to do one. But, I love the brand, and as many people have, I’ve wanted to own one for a decade or more.
I love the 4, it’s very exciting, it’s a huge step forward. But, a 3.5 could never stay with one blah blah. Stay where? It confuses me, at these performance levels, you are talking fine margins. On the road or even on the track.
I doubt there will be many cars that can stay with mine on the road, even with me driving.
I spent a day at Bedford, and spent a fair amount of time looking and checking out Bills car. I love it, but I don’t want to sell my old 2015 car. I even kept up with it around a track, crazy eh?
Is it just me, or does it feel a little us and them?
Maybe I’m just a sensitive old soul.....but it does across that you all feel the original cars have had their day.....& for most of us, they are just sunshine cars, and it’s a treat to pull them out of the garage, they’re not our daily drivers, so we don’t all need the latest models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reg

Post by reg » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:41 pm

CAG3D wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:05 pm Having only owned an Atom for two minutes, you can all tell me to do one. But, I love the brand, and as many people have, I’ve wanted to own one for a decade or more.
I love the 4, it’s very exciting, it’s a huge step forward. But, a 3.5 could never stay with one blah blah. Stay where? It confuses me, at these performance levels, you are talking fine margins. On the road or even on the track.
I doubt there will be many cars that can stay with mine on the road, even with me driving.
I spent a day at Bedford, and spent a fair amount of time looking and checking out Bills car. I love it, but I don’t want to sell my old 2015 car. I even kept up with it around a track, crazy eh?
Maybe I’m just a sensitive old soul.....but it does across that you all feel the original cars have had their day.....& for most of us, they are just sunshine cars, and it’s a treat to pull them out of the garage, they’re not our daily drivers, so we don’t all need the latest models.
Good post.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 pm

CAG3D wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:05 pm Having only owned an Atom for two minutes, you can all tell me to do one. But, I love the brand, and as many people have, I’ve wanted to own one for a decade or more.

I wouldn't read anything into this tbh. It's just progress, the 4 has been improved as you would expect, it doesn't mean the previous cars are less desirable or actually any slower than the 4 because we haven't yet seen lap times comparing the 2 as yet. Personally I haven't even driven a 4 so can't comment either. I do suspect the 4 is easier to drive faster though, but this is just a guess.

It's the same as the F430 - amazing car, then you drive a F458 and it's a huge improvement, but the F430 is still an amazing car.

So, continue to enjoy your 3.5R, I know I would if I had one! ;)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Spot on. It’s just progress, after all. Doesn’t make the previous iterations exactly shite overnight, not in the slightest.

All Atoms are awesome, basically

Cheers,
Hedge

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Great write up Andrew, really enjoyed reading that, thanks !

I think you'd get a job at EVO :D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Well I agree with Gag3d, feels very much us and them I'm afraid. I had a number of members contact me, outside the forum, to ask if I was pissed off about the disrespecting of the old cars. That's pretty ducking sad really.
I've known Hedge for a long time, I don't agree with him about everything, but I respect what he says. That would be a good template for this forum I think.
I have absolutely no doubt the new car is amazing, is it at exciting as my car? Not a ducking chance!
Stick that in your pipe number 4!!
I love you all!
A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 pm

So I've driven the 4 a fair bit more now (nearly 500miles) so I can update my comments.

Its definitely fast. The mid range is very strong. It does not need (or yet seem to reward) chasing the limiter. That may change as it loosens up, but I doubt it. Its a VERY different character "playing" 4-6k. Nothing like screaming your old 2/3/3.5 from 6-8k. On the road it seems quicker as its easier to accelerate as your always in the power band. It requires much less work to go fast. Just wait half a second for max boost and you are gone! >:D

Brakes are great, but they were on the old car too.

There is a little lag and you can feel the boost building. But its not bad by any means.

The steering rack is noticeably slower and hence lighter. Tight turns often led to crossed arms. I would prefer a faster rack tbh (like the old car), but its been done for a reason so I will persevere and see how it feels on track.

The dash is smart and clear but IMO poorly scaled / designed. There is lots of wasted space. The rev counter and speedo could be MUCH larger for example.
"there is no way a 3.5 would ever keep up"
Comments like this are unhelpful borderline trolling. I am not surprised some of the other owners felt obliged to respond and explain how they indeed have kept up with the new cars. ;) We know a 3.5R has greater power to weight than any current 4 due to the significant weight advantage. We know this matters due to the autocar measurements (not opinions).

My impression so far is I think overall the 4 is faster in most scenarios on the road. Its suspension is better, and it has a far better spread of torque / power. BUT on a smooth road on the same tyres, with an experienced driver in the older cars, in "attack mode" (6-8k) there would be little if anything in it. You have to work the old cars much harder, but that is part of their charm. Its hard work, harsh and tiring but rewarding (especially the charged cars). I would say well done if your keeping up with the newer cars. Your doing it right! :tu:

I am enjoying the new car which is GREAT on the road, and has many lovely features. I look forward to exploring the track performance in future. I just wish i could get used to the continual off boost cruising whistle.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm

I remember it all used to be about how "raw" the Atom was and that's what made it so much fun/challenge/rewarding to drive, that it was the "raw" driving experience. No ABS, no power steering, no traction control etc etc.

To the point that even the early adopters of windscreens got trashed for veering off the true character of the Atom.

Some poor chap (I think he was an American) at one point installed a traction control system on his Atom and posted up about it, and he got nothing but grief about it, again because it veered off the "trueness" of what the Atom was about. Every other reply was "well if we wanted traction control or ABS or a windscreen we would have bought xxxx". Now it's a must-have.

It seems like we've gone full circle now and the things that made the Atom so iconic are now also the same things that are being phased out by the "must have" gizmos to "fix" those issues.

Everyone remembers the Jeremy Clarkson video that put the Atom on the map for most people. The most iconic part of that video was his face being blown off. One wonders if the Atom had a windscreen or the newer type to decrease the wind buffeting how iconic that video really would have been.

In the end change is inevitable, and you have to roll with it. And it's natural for people who have got the newer cars to be excited by them, it's a whole new experience. But as far as which car is faster? Forget all the gizmos and the gadgets and the tyre sizes and the weight and the horsepowers, 99% of the time it will be determined by the skill of the driver. You can spend thousands tuning up your car and it still probably won't give you the gain in time on a track as if you invested a fraction of that money on driver tuition for yourself.
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Nicely put Hamtt.

When I hear that you can go fast on full boost with Traction Control on, I just think why?

I want to floor it and think sh1t, and hang on for dear life.

No longer Suspension clonking, improved brakes.... my suspension is awesome, it doesn’t clonk, the brakes don’t need to be better on my car, suspension roll, nose diving when braking. I don’t get any roll or nose diving.

My daily driver is the RS3. Brilliantly boring, because of the gizmos.

I can’t believe you own an Atom and the fact you can do a perfect three point turn excites you. All you have to do is turn a little and put your foot down and simple, you’re facing the other way. If not it ends up like the scene on Austin Powers, but that’s the beauty. Aching arms..... etc etc

Everything you’re saying is what I don’t want in my car. Yeh Turbo will be more tunable, but it won’t stop the fact that the 3’s are still capable of sub 3 sec to 60, etc etc. This is down to technique and not launch control.

I had 20 minute tuition at Bedford last weekend, and what a difference.

Pushing yourself, and the car to the edge & being so raw. That’s satisfaction

SC noise vs Turbo...... c’mon, let’s be honest

Maybe your lists of pro’s secretly disappoints, but you don’t yet know it.......

Raw raw raw, yes please!