Atom 4 - driving impressions

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Peter255

Re: Atom 4 - driving impressions

Post by Peter255 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:14 am

For what its worth i see many improvements on the 4, but I don't see any aspect of the Atom 4 that is more exciting than the older cars.

The 4 is just a far more advanced package in pretty much every way. Smoother and more composed and often a little quicker, but it is a little less raw and visceral. Excitement is subjective, but for me the old cars have the edge due to their behavior in full attack mode bouncing off the limiter. And thats due to the peaky delivery, excess of power, noise and limits of the suspension. Maybe on track the 4 will come alive, but i doubt it will become the flawed but fabulous wild lunatic my old car was.

But thats progress. We cannot complain over a more refined advanced capable package that is in most scenarios faster and easier to drive. Ariel have done a GREAT job enhancing everything on the new car. Indeed it may turn out significantly quicker on track too in the right hands. Also the 4R may blow us all away and introduce a whole new level of madness. Time will tell.

The new cars are IMO a more rounded package, slightly less extreme, less charismatic but often quicker on the road and more usable. Many will love that, some will miss the old flawed lunacy. Lets be honest all Atoms are a GREAT drive but far from perfect, each with their own set of negatives. Just enjoy your cars, none are intrinsically better than any others.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks for the great write up guys, your reviews are insightful and welcome to any who have or are considering taking the plunge. The time you have spent is genuinely appreciated.
Having had a go recently in my old 2 courtesy of the new owner I can tell you that car is still brilliant. My 3.5 was the best car I've ever owned for suiting its purpose and I was very unsure about letting it go for the 4, which will just about be starting build. The 4 will be different for sure but it will present a new challenge and I'm just as excited as when I bought the first one 12 years ago. It's great that we are all in the position to discuss/complain/compare, what lucky boys and girls (and any non specified group) we are.

Cheers,
Stu

jpswift

Post by jpswift » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 am

great write up andrew

"elucidated"...........nice :laugh:

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am

I really think that attempting to make comparisons between the 3.xx series and 4 series Atoms is intrinsically pointless.

Without doubt both are insanely quick - but, from what I have understood from many posts, need to driven rather differently - the SC 3.xx series requires more use of the gears and RPM to achieve the same effect as the more torquey, but lower revving, Turbo Atom 4.

That said I suspect that there is probably little real world difference in performance between the 350bhp Atom 3.5R and the 350bhp Atom 4 except the innate ability/skill of the individual driver.

I suspect that driven in sequence, given the same skilled driver, lap times at most tracks would be within a gnat's whisker - given the real world restrictions and traffic on the public roads the difference is probably, to all intents and purposes, is most likely to be immeasurable - albeit that it has to be remembered that the Atom 4 is quite a lot heavier.

That said, it appears that most new owners report the ride quality of the Atom 4 as 'more composed' than the 3.xx - I would tend to agree that this is probably true if the 3.xx has Bilsteins fitted - however when I upgraded to Ohlins on my 3.5R it was another whole different world as on the 3.xx series, in my opinion, retro-fitting Ohlins was an absolutely HUGE improvement to the ride quality/composure!

All I can say is (I suspect in common with CAG3D) my 3.5R often frightens me with the insanely brutal performance available under my right foot!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

ooinaru

Post by ooinaru » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am

autobackup wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 am I really think that attempting to make comparisons between the 3.xx series and 4 series Atoms is intrinsically pointless.
Yes. But we still want to know :)

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 am

I don't see why everyone's hands feel so tied to choose 4 or 3.5. What about an Atom 4 chassis with a K24/K20 combo? The world is your oyster. Progress doesn't have to be a painful compromise.

The way this is shaping up, I might move to the 4 in the future, but I'd get a rolling chassis and throw the aero and engine I'm developing on the 3 in it.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:29 am

I suspect the 4R with circa 400BHP will blow us all away when it comes out next year though! 8)

It would be a brave person to buy a 4 and immediately swap the engine out! I can't see Ariel selling you a rolling chassis. I agree though with the idea. An Atom 4 with a supercharged k24 block with a k20 head revving to 9000+ rpm would be a monster. You might be able to charge cool it too! >:D

Anon

Post by Anon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:30 am

cvjoint wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:04 am I don't see why everyone's hands feel so tied to choose 4 or 3.5. What about an Atom 4 chassis with a K24/K20 combo? The world is your oyster. Progress doesn't have to be a painful compromise.

I didn't think the regular K20 engine was still being made/available. Also not sure how one would go about ordering just a chassis and all the bits, it's not a kit car after all.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:06 am

Our US colleagues had the option of ordering a rolling chassis from TMI ..

I think this was to try to alleviate some of the road registration issues in some States ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

reg

Post by reg » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:43 am

simonrhart wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:30 am I didn't think the regular K20 engine was still being made/available. Also not sure how one would go about ordering just a chassis and all the bits, it's not a kit car after all.
You’d only want the head and gearbox off of the K20 :)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:10 am

So my car has been upgraded to 350(quiet) spec, so assuming the back box is more about noise than performance it should be somewhere approaching 350bhp. It is still new and tight though so will be a little down on power for now.

I haven't driven it that much, but initial impressions below.

I has much more of the exciting lunacy of the older cars. Before it was very smooth, refined and effortlessly quick, now it grabs my attention in the lower gears like the old car used to.

I think care will be needed on track as the boost comes in harder now, and is less linear than the chargers. But it does add the kind of sudden brutal performance that make it such a memorable experience..... Before it was so composed, smooth, and rounded it felt a bit too easy.

I also prefer the noise now which is a little more exhaust / engine noise (to counter the turbo whistle).

I think as we suspected (and hoped) the car does somewhat come alive with the extra power. I am looking forward to getting to grips with it on track when the weather allows. :tu:

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:11 am

Excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelbug63

Post by travelbug63 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 am

That's great to hear Peter, putting my spec in this week for a March delivery and am going for the 350 upgrade
Atom 4, Jaguar I Pace, Honda cr-v (dog carrier), Mini JCW (wife's)

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am

I should add to be clear i suspect a fair few remapped 4's will visit the ditch / hedge due to the unwise / unwary use of the right foot.

Like the older car at high revs i would suggest respect, needing warm tyres, a smooth surface, and steering finesse at full throttle in lower gears.

Or spec traction control, but IMO that goes against the whole analogue, un-assisted ethos of the car and experience.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Do you have the cat delete?