Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
reg

Re: Atom 4

Post by reg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Hedge wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 pm I need to look up the meaning of the expression “ keyboard warrior” when I’m in.

Cheers,
Hedge
And ‘Irony’

It’ll be between Coppery and Steely.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:22 pm

The 245 did not/does not need a supercharger !

I'll admit that half way through my ownership, I did go for the 310 charger upgrade - it made the car even more mental than before and i really enjoyed it, but if i'm honest, the car went exceptionally well before and I think I preferred the NA sound.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

stupot

Post by stupot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 am

John S is so right. The 245 is a great car. It is in no way slow, particularly on the road. Had mine for 7 years and preferred the NA sound and the need to work it. Originally thought I would upgrade but never felt the need.

I am going SC on the Nomad but purely because the extra power offsets the weight increase.
Atom 2 160 (05-11) / Atom 3 245 (12-19 ) / Nomad 300 (22-)

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 am

I have managed to finish first day on track with the Atom. First time at Oulton Park so not only trying to get to know the car but the circuit as well. What I will say is that Oulton is a power circuit with some really good sweeping corners in it. The Atom was just superb, where the 4 really shines is with punching out of the corners, the torque is just stunning, where as the other 2 atoms here were taking the corners in 3rd I was taking the same corner in 4th and using the torque to power out of the corner and not changing gear anywhere near as often. AP Brakes are brilliant and just as good as the Alcons on the old 3. Very stable under heavy braking but wish I had put on a brake bias system. Think I will add that next year. The steering is wonderful and an improvement.

Now off to Anglesey for the day to try a different circuit. 1300 miles so far and another 300 miles to get home and another day on track to go.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am

Nice work! Oulton isn’t the easiest of circuits. V jealous of you going to Anglesey.

Which corner were you grabbing 4th in, by the way, rather than 3rd? Or was there more than one? I can defo think of a couple..maybe?

Cheers,
Hedge

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 am

AlanP wrote:Luckky, You wouldn't...
The cheek! Image

Tbh, I can barely recall your goodself, Mr. P - let alone your Old Trout Image

Cheers,
Hedge

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 am

Hedge, maybe you should turn up at something occasionally? South East breakfast runs are good for you. If you still have the Ace I'm sure we'd all like to see that ridden. A

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am

Planning on doing so, next year. Weekend time is a tad precious, though. That’s always the issue.

The Ace needs some fettling beforehand. All done soon enough.

Cheers,
Hedge

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 am

Interesting to hear a lot of recommendations for the adjustable brake bias. Do you guys find yourselves constantly tinkering with it to get the best out of the brakes or do you end up settling on specific settings for dry/wet?

phil4

Post by phil4 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am

Preseh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 am Interesting to hear a lot of recommendations for the adjustable brake bias. Do you guys find yourselves constantly tinkering with it to get the best out of the brakes or do you end up settling on specific settings for dry/wet?
Personally, don't like a blank space on the dash. Also makes it look more "racecar", esp with removable steering wheel. And really doesn't cost much in the scheme of things.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 am

Preseh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 am Interesting to hear a lot of recommendations for the adjustable brake bias. Do you guys find yourselves constantly tinkering with it to get the best out of the brakes or do you end up settling on specific settings for dry/wet?
Not on the public road, but the 3.5 is sensitive to swapping ends on track depending on how many heat cycles the rears have had, whether or not the tyres/ brakes are up to temp - so the bias change imho is essential.

You may also change the bias mid session depending on the corner. So if it's a downhill hard brake from a long straight into a hairpin, I may put on slightly more front bias to prevent rear lockup before the fronts.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Definitely useful in the wet. I wind it full on to the fronts, don’t want the rears locking up after all..

Cheers,
Hedge

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Peter255 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:48 pm Collection day! 8)

Quick thoughts on the drive home. Remember I am still running it in so not yet really opening it up!

Looks
I love the colour scheme and the carbon panels. Dash looks great, the circular traces around the digital rpm and speed gauges is a bit pointless tho.
Overall is looks good, definitely more modern, but not better than the old cars to my eyes. Hopefully it will grow on me.
Its not as pretty around the nose as the earlier cars as it is wider and looks a bit "squashed" to my eyes.
Still don't like the small drooping nosed air intake. Glad I went carbon to hide it a bit.

Suspension
Much improved over the old cars, but I am comparing to a 2 so maybe not such a improvement over a 3.5 with Ohlins for example.
Feels very stable and planted under cornering acceleration and braking, but I've not pushed it in any way yet.

Brakes
Too soon to tell really but seems solid as per older cars with big brakes.

Drive train
Completely different character to the older k20s.
Whistles all the time and the dump value coming off hardish acceleration is very noticeable.
Thus far I am honestly not a fan of how it sounds. I hope it grows on me, and I will happily accept it assuming it proves to be quicker run-in.
I miss the supercharger whine which was iconic in the older cars. :td:
Seems strong and pulls hard in the mid range, seemingly more than the older charged cars.
I can't really comment on top end acceleration etc as its not run in, but thus far when opened up a little it feels good. Fingers crossed.
Didn't feel any lag tbh. Happy to say that! :tu:
Seems like a smooth map on the 320s.
Clutch was still bedding in. Not much more I can say.
Like the handbrake and gearstick placement!
Didn't much like the engagement of the gears. Bit hard sometimes to find the right cog! But the box is still tight. Should improve.
6th gear is very long and acceleration there from normal speeds is slow.

Other comments
Seat is much deeper and more supporting, feels good but i'm not 100% comfortable in it yet after a few hours.
More windy on the right arm which now sits in the air flow in the side. Surprised me!
Love the keyless immobiliser.

Its a much more well rounded package in general. Seems more composed, smoother and hopefully faster and more grippy. But I can't say its more exciting.... yet. Hopefully when run in, and flat out it will be, but I reserve judgement on that one.
:vroom:

Sounds like you made a bad deal, I advise you to swap this bad sounding turbo car for the real deal. I have the best interpretation of the old one, a sc 3.5, if you pay me 10k I am happy to take in your wide nosed little car with its funny looking snorkel.😄

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Looks like the 350 demo is on the Top Gear car of the year shindig: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/tg24-2 ... s-car-2019
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Italianpaul

Post by Italianpaul » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm

robfitz wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pm Looks like the 350 demo is on the Top Gear car of the year shindig: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/tg24-2 ... s-car-2019
Top gear were filming at Cadwell Park today, possible 4 -350 test? Closed to the public unfortunately.

I'll try to find out next Tuesday on a track day.