Atom 4 - Spec and Discussion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
44 TOY

Re: Atom 4

Post by 44 TOY » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post, I have been lurking for a while......

I had a call today to say my car will be going in to be built soon, can't wait for it and I've been over the spec sheet around 100 times, changing things each and every time, this is my first Atom so any thoughts on my current (hopefully final) spec would be greatly appreciated- if anything crucial is missing please let me know.

It will primarily be used for the road with perhaps one of two track days a year......

My current spec list is looking as follows:

350 BHP upgrade
Limited Slip Diff
Adjustable traction control and launch control (undecided on this option)
Polishing of complete exhaust system
Baffled Oil Sump
AP racing 4 pot calipers- 290mm front and rear (not the most expensive ones)
Black Brake, clutch lines with stainless steel fixings.
Handbrake system
Cockpit adjustable remote brake bias (not sure if i need this)
Bilstein Single adjustable dampers with 2 piece springs (road and track)
Quick release steering wheel
3" seat belts and harnesses with alloy chest adjusters
3" seat belt harness pads
Road Legal Wheel and track day tyre package
Roadside puncture repair kit
Stainless steel fixings
Aero Screen
High Level brake light
Locking fuel cap
12x Aux feed with USB socket
Tracker
Reversing Camera System
Passenger and Clutch foot rest
Battery Optimiser/trickle charger
Carbon Fibre Instrument panel
Rear Fog/reverse/ number plate tidy
Black colour wheels
Powder Coated Chassis (unsure what colour at present)
IVA test
Road Tax/ Registration.

Thanks in advance.
Dean

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:34 pm

I would say you definitely want the remote brake bias adjuster.
Good luck.

Alan

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:44 pm

Very similar spec to me. Only things I would say, are you sure you want the exhaust you get with the 350 upgrade is really noisy so you will be limited on tracks you can do. I have gone with the 350 but with standard exhaust. Quick release steering wheel means that if you stop to go in the pub or anything you have to take the wheel with you everywhere you go otherwise someone will nick it. Right pain. I have gone for Traction and also boost. I personally thing with so much power always nice to have a bit of a safety net especially while learning the car and when it rains. I have not gone for the brake bias mind, never felt the need for it but some people say its essential

The wait for the last few weeks is a real killer.

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:21 pm

All I can say about having a polished exhaust is that it was nothing but a pain in the butt on my 3.5R.

- if the Atom 4 silencer is not double skinned I would suggest that you might consider having the full exhaust system 'Zircotec' ceramic coated (inside and out) in a complimentary colour (lots available) and never have to polish the 'b*****d' ever again - it could save you hours of work!!

FYI - Having it Zircotec'd also claims to add 2-3% more power due to better heat dissipation!

Mine was done in 'Volcano' Black
Attachments
IMG_20180608_105844 (800x600).jpg
IMG_20180608_105844 (800x600).jpg (444.78 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Whats the price for boost/traction?

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:41 pm

If its mainly for road use then surely the windscreen is kinda useful....or stay anonymous and wear a helmet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Don't worry about changing your mind, this is my 3rd one coming and I change my mind almost every day about something!

That sounds like a great spec in general but if you've not had an Atom before, I'd definitely not go for the 350 upgrade initially but add it in a year or so which will feel like a new experience. You've got more than plenty to get to grips with in the meantime.
I've also done the same as Mark though, I've got the 350 kit but with the standard exhaust as you don't want issues at track days.

I would go for the brake bias as it's useful on a wet track day and is a big yellow twirly knob to play with when you're bored.

I think the traction seems expensive but I've optioned the variable boost which is a more simple way of cutting the ponies if conditions require it (and waaaay cheaper!)

It way be worth just sticking to the ZZS tyres for now too, as you'll be getting your car at a time of year that will be difficult to generate much heat and the ZZR's won't dispel water as quickly. They will still be v good on track and way better on the road. Just my 2p.

My chassis has just been ordered so I imagine our builds will be at a similar time.

Cheers,
Stu

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Surprised at the comments about the sports exhaust being loud. Having been out in the demo car with it fitted it didn’t seem to be to me - not compared to my Elise anyway.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:05 pm

robfitz wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:01 pm Surprised at the comments about the sports exhaust being loud. Having been out in the demo car with it fitted it didn’t seem to be to me - not compared to my Elise anyway.
You're right, it's not that loud but some tracks have a pretty low Db limit and I'm pretty sure that Ariel have said that it won't get through most tracks with it on.

Cheers,
Stu

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 pm

I defo wouldn’t go for the 350 shizzle - yet. See how you go. 320 is more than enough for the road, after all.

Cheers,
Hedge

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Get the 350. How many times does anyone on here think 'Ooh, I wish it wasn't this quick' or 'Should've got the slow one!'

Never.

A

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:13 pm

That's 2 posts now without mentioning the Sadev, I'm beginning to worry you've gone off it ;) ;D ;D

Cheers,
Stu

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:17 pm

;D

44 TOY

Post by 44 TOY » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks to all those who have taken the time to reply, hopefully I will get to meet some of you at an event in the future.

Lots of interesting comments regarding the spec.

I will definitely keep the remote brake bias, Stu sold it with the comment its a yellow twirly knob to play with and of course Alan saying it was something I definitely wanted also helped.... haha.

The Zircotec exhaust does look quality, however, I do like the look of the polished exhaust so undecided there.

I did consider the full windscreen when I went to the factory and discussed with Henry, but I want the full experience including the use of a helmet.

The sports exhaust is definitely something to reconsider, I will check the noise limits for tracks local to me to see if it falls within their guidelines, really helpful that so thank you all.

I am sold on the 350 bhp option, that is one option which is definitely going on, Atom 4's acceleration to 60mph is almost identical to that of my current toy at the moment so hopefully it won't cause me too many issues.

Interesting thoughts on the traction control, I won't be using it in the rain but the idea of a safety net is an appealing thought, albeit an expensive one.

Its definitely going to be another night of chopping and changing the spec for sure, exciting times....

Dean

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:34 am

Nice spec Dean! Not a very memorable forum name tho! ;)

I would say you could remove some of the options though.

If you have a can of tyre weld in the garage already there is no need to pay 5 times the price for another one from Ariel. Or buy one from amazon! Just leave one in the cubby under the bonnet wrapped up in a towel or something (good for un-expected rain and to stop the can rattling). Might seem like a small change but why waste cash...

As you have another toy of similar performance I doubt you really NEED traction or boost control. You won't be going fast on the track day tyres in the rain anyway (they will be rubbish), and in the dry there is plenty of rear end grip. BUT if you want it then go for it!

Otherwise enjoy your spec tweaking. 8)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.