Alcon Hand Brake Kit (second caliper) malfunction

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Curves Junkie

Alcon Hand Brake Kit (second caliper) malfunction

Post by Curves Junkie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:08 am

Hi @all,

in Nov. 2016 I was at Crewkerne with my Ariel Atom 3. At the factory the car got the big rear Alcon brake kit.
Now when I use the handbrake and I release it again the caliper (pistons) does not return to the starting position, so that the rear wheels continue to be braked a bit. I can push back the lever, where the brake cable is attached, by hand. Outside there is no return spring for the lever mounted. Maybe inside a spring??

Any tips or solutions what to do?
Thanks.

Curves Junkie

Re: Alcon Hand Brake Kit (second caliper) malfunction

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 am

Problem solved by the Ariel Service Departement.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Pleased they resolved this for you :)

What was the fix for this ?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:57 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 pm What was the fix for this ?
Really, you want to know this? ???
Ok, I tell you my guess.

Before, after installation at Nov. 2016 my handbrake will never have/had a function. I can rise up the handbrake lever and the brake will not block.
After I got no response here I deciced to disassemble both handbrake calipers. At the left caliper (left is this side where the transmission at the AA is :angel: ), the lever can not be moved. So I open this two little screws who fixed the brake cable bracket. Now I can move the lever BUT in the wrong direction.
Mechanical Handbrake System for Rear Alcon 4 Pot Brakes-Henry.jpg
Mechanical Handbrake System for Rear Alcon 4 Pot Brakes-Henry.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
I clain that this brake caliper was the wrong caliper for this (left) side.
I can not solve this problem myself - I need the factory. So made a package and send the caliper from Germany to UK.

Some weeks later I got the message there is no problem with the caliper, he works perfect. After clarification of which side of the vehicle the brake caliper is from, the caliper was repaired and I was informed that it would have been very dirty inside. :-X :-X :-X
After paying the invoice I got the brake caliper back.
Re-Installion at the same day because one day later I want to make a 8 day trip to the swiss and french alps. :vroom:
Oh, sh.t the brake pads will not fit - not enough space between the caliper piston and the brake disc. :H: :H:
Now I try to screw the piston a little bit in - but the dust rubber was stuck on the piston. I had to abrade the pads by 2mm each side to fit it.

BUT now the hand brake is with full function - on both sides. :tu:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks for the story ..

.. looks like it was a big problem to solve !

Glad it's now OK.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm

You do know curves are not the same as turns or cornering😄?

Nothing to add to the topic, but your name made me laugh :OT:

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:24 pm

speedmachine wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm You do know curves are not the same as turns or cornering😄?
Hej Dutchman, I don't know what your thoughts are. >:D >:D
But I also love this curves you probably mean. ;D

I think my nickname is exactly what I feel when I'm on the road with my AA3.
Take a look here:
http://www.curves-magazin.com/en/blog/c ... chottland/ and here https://www.delius-klasing.de/curves-magazin
My nickname can't be that wrong. :vroom: :vroom:

Have you ever really driven your AA on such winding roads? I don't talk about driving at a race track.
I don't think you have such great roads at the Netherlands.

sh1t happens, English is not my native language and I'm not perfect. ;)

Btw, [mention]speedmachine[/mention] do you think that you get your ordered Atom 4 street legal in the Netherlands? Or get the AA4 only a track tool for you? Is it correct that you AA4 get in production in 2021 or 2022?

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 am

I have a sick mind, so your name probably is correct 😄

I do drive my car a lot (28k km on it now) and have driven a lot of nice CURVY roads, alps, Eiffel, Mosel, but also some nice parts of Belgium, France and off course the UK where I made a thorough road trip a couple of weeks ago. I like that as much as the track actually.

I gambled on the AA4 but they think to receive small production type approval, like Donkervoort for example.
The only thing is that Brexit could be a pain in the ass.
There has to be a very friendly arrangement in order to get this essta for eu roads.
If this is not the case I’m gambling on creative minds who go for the grey import, which will be done quite some times by the time I will be getting mine. As the car was designed to get this approval for eu roads I’m expecting it to be easier to register compared to the 3.5.

If all of this is not possible...I have them build my car, try to register and if not possible sell it, or make a (very expensive) trakday out of it.

Production time is about 34 months now, I’m in for 4 months or so

I have to try...I love this thing

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 pm

speedmachine wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 am I have a sick mind, so your name probably is correct 😄

I do drive my car a lot (28k km on it now) and have driven a lot of nice CURVY roads, alps, Eiffel, Mosel, but also some nice parts of Belgium, France and off course the UK where I made a thorough road trip a couple of weeks ago. I like that as much as the track actually.
That sound good too. Elsass, Vosges are great for having lot of fun.
I like to drive my AA so much - bought in 2016 with 270miles - now there are 19000miles on the speedo. Only road never track :vroom:
speedmachine wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 am I gambled on the AA4 but they think to receive small production type approval, like Donkervoort for example.
A friend of mine drive a Donky, its a great car, at cornering better than my AA. But keep in mind, sitting in the car is like sitting in a sauna, no AC and with doors and a lot of plastic all around. >:D
speedmachine wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 am The only thing is that Brexit could be a pain in the ass.
There has to be a very friendly arrangement in order to get this essta for eu roads.
They want to go - let them go now.
It makes me sad and I feel with many of my English friends, but it's better now. It was shameful how the British representatives behaved last week in Strasbourg. What kind of screaming would there be if our politicians behaved like that in the British Parliament?

I had never heard that Ariel have made the COC paper and the emmissions-test for the new car. So no chance to get this car street legal in the EU. Caterham need more than an half year to make their new cars ready for the new regulations.
speedmachine wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 am If this is not the case I’m gambling on creative minds who go for the grey import, which will be done quite some times by the time I will be getting mine. As the car was designed to get this approval for eu roads I’m expecting it to be easier to register compared to the 3.5.

If all of this is not possible...I have them build my car, try to register and if not possible sell it, or make a (very expensive) trakday out of it.
WOW this will be a very expensive tracktool.
Originally I wanted to order an AA4 too, but at a price over 100k Euro - sorry, that is too much for a fun car. So I had ordered an other new German car, that had its first presentation in Goodwood last days.
speedmachine wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 am Production time is about 34 months now, I’m in for 4 months or so

I have to try...I love this thing
34 month O0 Horror because at nearly 3 years the regulations will change again. Then you can buy the Ariel Hypercar - its an electrical car. :doh:

Is the left one maybe your new AA4?
viewtopic.php?p=294209&sid=d862674a9e6f ... 50#p294209
It's LHD and Netherlands orange. :laugh:

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:36 pm

If brexit is kind or when it doesn’t happen at all, the coc will be there, believe me. I dont spend 100k’ish without having good chances, talk to Tom if you have interest.

They have plenty time to sort thing out as they are starting with uk cars only, but the plan certainly is to get it road legal

Curves Junkie

Post by Curves Junkie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:20 pm

We will see what Ariel will do for the Europeans. :angel:

HenryJS wrote that they have no AA4 for a testride available, so at the moment we all have to wait and hear what the new owners of the AA4 will report in the future.

I will keep my Atom and definitely not sell it, but I ordered this new toy last week, which is future-proof about street-legal. So its now to late to talk with Tom.
https://youtu.be/qqW-cQPL6tE

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:41 am

Curves Junkie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:20 pm We will see what Ariel will do for the Europeans. :angel:

HenryJS wrote that they have no AA4 for a testride available, so at the moment we all have to wait and hear what the new owners of the AA4 will report in the future.

I will keep my Atom and definitely not sell it, but I ordered this new toy last week, which is future-proof about street-legal. So its now to late to talk with Tom.
https://youtu.be/qqW-cQPL6tE

Thats a nice car too 👍

There are 2 demo’s ready for test rides, what Henry meant is that they dont offer testrides with you behind the wheel...ever.
I had a ride with them 2 weeks ago, what a blast