Super hero or zero

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Winmoz

Super hero or zero

Post by Winmoz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Given that the wait list is now nearly 3 years (and that’s Somerset years people) for a 4, I am thinking that I may as well hunker down and really enjoy my 3.5.

It’s time to fit a supercharger. I specced my car with this in mind, so I don’t think I need to add anything besides the charger. Or do I?

I have Alcons on the front and sports brakes on the back, with on board brake bias plus an LSD. Apart from some shares in Shell, what else should I add to the job list for when the car goes in for a bit of a tickle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

Hedge

Re: Super hero or zero

Post by Hedge » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:51 am

I’d say you need rear Alcons, too, for sure. Apart from that, not much. What suspension have you got & do you track her much/ at all?

Cheers,
Hedge

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 am

No performance effect but I'm a huge fan of the cf seats. Hug you nicely, look beautiful and are technological marvels! There's a lever under the seat allowing you to slide them back and forward without the use of spanners.
Only problem with them is avoiding getting then scratched.

Lightweight wheels have a disproportionate effect on acceleration and handling, is it 1Kg saving in rotational mass is equivalent to 2.5Kg elsewhere? And when you steer you've less rotational momentum to fight. I'm sure I'll be corrected if necessary...

And, of course, you'll get most of the money back when you sell.

Goi for it! How many times do you live?

Alan

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:02 am

With Hedge,

I went from Alcon/sport to Alcon/Alcon and was surprised at the difference. Downside is I've a bloody great box in my garage with the old brakes inside. I can't dump them and I can't sell them as they're of no interest to anyone.

A

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:10 am

Even when the CF seats do inevitably get scratched, they can be brought back by some judicial sanding. I did so on my 3. Mine didn’t adjust (think I had the first ones installed in an Atom at the time) so that’s a massive plus.

If you haven’t got Dymags, they’re worth considering, for sure.

You’re talking about some quite jazzy numbers now though - on top of the cost for charging her up....

Cheers,
Hedge

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:36 am

I'll talk to you about that at some stage Andrew. Thanks,

A

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:02 am

Speak to Rooky, Mr. P. He sorted mine...

Cheers,
Hedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks, I will.

A

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:34 pm

It's really easy to spend other people's money :)

Baffled sump?

I've got rear alcons now, but pretty sure I'll be going sports with the 4. I can't think you've missed much on your current car that's really needed though.

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 am

With Hedge, Alcons at the rear for sure.
Baffled Sump if you don't have it.
If you are going to do a good amount of track work the 3.5R Geo settings and a set of Kumhos will transform the handling too!

Cheers,
Stu

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 am

Thanks all. I have the baffled sump. I specced the car with the plan of getting is charged at some point in the future. Turns out, that point is pretty much now.

Am intrigued by having Alcons on the back.

I can already manage to get the rear Sports brakes to lock before the front Alcons under heavy braking by playing with the brake balance. More friction at the rear will just mean this point is reached with less rearward bias, but will it actually increase overall breaking effort? I get that heat management will be better and that they look cooler, but I’d also need to add the handbrake Caliper and that’s all weight (and cash).

Was thinking I will probably run a more aggressive front and rear wing angle and will look at the Kumhos when the current AO48s vapourise.

#BananAtom

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:06 am

It's not so much about stopping in a shorter distance than being able to 'feel' when the wheels are on the point of locking up and being able to modulate that to maximum effect.

It's more of a 'quality' thing.

If you never go there, then spend the £ elsewhere as you mentioned ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 am

Winmoz wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 am
Am intrigued by having Alcons on the back.

I can already manage to get the rear Sports brakes to lock before the front Alcons under heavy braking by playing with the brake balance. More friction at the rear will just mean this point is reached with less rearward bias, but will it actually increase overall breaking effort?

Was thinking I will probably run a more aggressive front and rear wing angle and will look at the Kumhos when the current AO48s vapourise.

Yes, the overall breaking effect will be significantly improved and stopping distance improved. You will have a much better balance especially because the Atom's weight mainly sits at the back, so the rear brakes do a lot more work than on pretty much any other track car (or car for that matter!) The braking stability is also improved giving the ability to brake later and harder. You won't lock them up anywhere near as easily as your current setup.

The Khumos are a revelation. After years of A048s and R888's I could not believe how much better they were. They also grip brilliantly right up to the point where they are slicks, when those above would have given up the ghost. I'm really hoping that the Avon's on the 4 are ok as they have a really hard act to follow.

Cheers,
Stu

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:24 am

wasp wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 am
The Khumos are a revelation. After years of A048s and R888's I could not believe how much better they were. They also grip brilliantly right up to the point where they are slicks, when those above would have given up the ghost. I'm really hoping that the Avon's on the 4 are ok as they have a really hard act to follow.

Cheers,
Stu
Thats interesting. Ive never had Khumos. Just switched to Avons on my 3.5 after always having had AO48s. I don't think Ariel have any left now. I just don't think the Avons are as good as the AO48s in terms of grip. It just feels like that to me. Admittedly Ive got the ZZS Avons, which im told are not much different to ZZRs for grip but better in the wet. Might try Khumos next

drcaw

Post by drcaw » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Have run 2 x sets of Kumhos on my 3.5R over last few months and agree they provide fantastic grip... but do seem to drop off after 3-4 laps at peak.