That corrosion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Winmoz

That corrosion

Post by Winmoz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22 pm

2300 miles in, and most of them in the dry. Wasn’t expecting to see rust on the rear suspension arms or that the powder coat on the frame would start flaking on the rear tubes. It’s obviously been hit by road rash and water has got under it, lifting it away from the metal.

Will have to have a proper look at the car and see what else needs catching. I bought the car to drive it, so I don’t expect it to be pristine, but I am surprised to see corrosion so early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

smokin

Re: That corrosion

Post by smokin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 pm

That's worrying - given the low miles. Sounds like a problem with the primer - some pictures to the factory (and here please) would seem in order

phil4

Post by phil4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:32 pm

It doesn't sound normal to me.

I'll not say I've been over mine with a fine toothed comb, nor checked every nook and cranny, but I'd say that it's not really suffered any of the problem you mention, and I've done more miles, more rain and had it longer.

Some photos here to put it into context (so we're not all reporting every mm of damage), then I'd suggest getting back in touch with the factory.

wasp

Post by wasp » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:52 pm

phil4 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:32 pm It doesn't sound normal to me.
+1

2 Atoms and way in excess of 10,000 miles and I've never had any paint lift on the chassis. Suspension arms do get battered over time but not to any great extent and not in that short a time in my experience.

As suggested, some photos and a chat with the Factory will be the best starting point.

Cheers,
Stu

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm

The suspension rods I can sort of accept. They are almost consumable items. I just killed the corrosion and dabbed some hammerite on tbh. The frame is something else though. Will take a pic and post later.

#BananAtom

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Not got any frame paint flaking off my old 2, just a few small stone chips here and there.

Definitely something amiss there mate. :-[
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Following a quick blast to Wantage and back I had a quick look over the car. Seem I have been unlucky and picked up a stone strike that has chipped the paint off the frame. Still miffed that it has removed all the coating. Image
Will raise it with the factory when the car goes in for its first years service.

#BananAtom

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Here’s a close upImage

#BananAtom

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Doesn't matter whether or not its powder coated, it will chip from road rash then rust if not treated.

The last atom suffered the same problem - I had it resprayed. I would have had the same problem with load lugger, but l put suntek self healing film so absolutely no road rash after 71k miles.

This one I've just PPFed with rhino triple layer film - job jobbed.Image

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Anon

Post by Anon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Winmoz wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:05 pm Following a quick blast to Wantage and back I had a quick look over the car. Seem I have been unlucky and picked up a stone strike that has chipped the paint off the frame. Still miffed that it has removed all the coating. Image
Will raise it with the factory when the car goes in for its first years service.

I'm sure the factory will sort that for you, looks pretty minor from the pictures.

Do I have it correct, there is a 500 mile service then a 1000 mile service, then every 3000 miles or yearly after this?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Here's the Ariel factory info on servicing :-
Attachments
Ariel Service Essentials.pdf
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold