Race Tech Dash2

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
speedmachine

Re: Race Tech Dash2

Post by speedmachine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:11 pm

^^^^What he said ^^^^

I’ve ordered an Atom 4 without seeing it in the flesh, just because they are the only manufacter ever I would trust my money that way.

I am an eu mainland customer who is on it’s third atom now, first 2 where used, they only earned penny’s on me last 10 years (ok last year I spend about 15k, but first 9 years was just seal here and gasket there)
They have ALWAYS helped me out with stupid or difficult questions, they have never asked me to just bring the car by and always kept pushing to help me out.

So I don’t see the problem either, sure cars like these have minor issues, but they will always solve them, foc when its appropiate.

On this topic, my 3.5 has had zero issues with the dash and is 5-6 years old, used all weather and has about 20k miles, so changing all units would be too much imho.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:29 pm

Just to add my 2p worth

Buying from Ariel is a very different experience to anything else I have found. There are no warranties - so you have to get your head round that. But then whenever I have had an issue they have gone beyond the call to sort it. I have had some pretty major things happen - and I am still buying their cars. They have experimented at times with different ways to do things and it doesnt always work.

For a small manufacturer they cannot recall all the units and do what some say here - just not feasible. I agree with a lot of the comments - lets not ruin any goodwill and just go with Henry's advice - if you have an issue they will sort it.

Trigger

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:34 am

Picking this quite old thread up which I followed with interest at the time.

Our Nomad's got a good soaking from overnight rain on the Dirty Welsh Weekend recently. All 3 Nomads on the trip had the old Dash2, but on inspection later, mine was the only one without the silicone sealing around the scree edge. It was also the only one that played up the next day. Usual symptom of unreadable hieroglyphics etc. Mine was the oldest Nomad out - 2016. I hoped the dash would dry out (some chance in the Welsh drizzle) but it didn't. So when I got back I removed it and opened it up. Obvious signs of water damage and indeed droplets. Sent it off to Race Technology who said they could probably repair it. They have just told me they can't, but can replace it. Based on this thread I would have asked Ariel to sort it, but with the car being 5 years old, I think that would be pushing my luck.

Steve at Ariel has said that the new AIM dash can be fitted to a Nomad (is it on the Nomad R?) but it looks like it will also need a new surround, and I think it is pretty pricey (not sure yet what it would cost or if it is plug and play and I could fit it).

Thoughts/advice anyone?!

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Sorry to hear about the issue Mutley. :(

This will keep happening as the old unsealed units get wet and corrode over time.

The new AIM dash is great (and waterproof) but its not going to be a cheap replacement including a new dash surround!

I guess it all comes down to cost... :-\
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:58 pm

Ever responsive, Steve at Ariel has come back re: the AIM dash:

"Yes the instrument surround is different too, as there are side buttons.

Costing is between £1650 and £2513 plus vat, dependant on whether the vehicle has underbody protection, or brake bias control, also whether you want a reverse camera (yes a reverse camera)."

;D Not sure all this is quite in the spirit of the Nomad. Perhaps I should ask them to install a/c too. . .

Still, it does have the benefit of making a new Dash2 actually seem cheap.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:57 pm

If you don't mind me asking... how much do RT want to replace it / will it come back with the Ariel branding still?

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:40 am

Atlarge wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:57 pm If you don't mind me asking... how much do RT want to replace it / will it come back with the Ariel branding still?
So this has taken an unexpected twist. RT told me that they couldn't repair it but were 'Happy to provide a replacement dash'.

I took this to mean 'at retail price'.

So I checked back with them and they said 'FOC'. Still pinching myself as although pi**ed off with the lack of waterproofing on the original, I thought asking for a free replacement of a nearly 5 y/o dash would be pushing my luck.

I also asked about the branding on the unit (for re-sale time) and was told it would be Ariel branded.

Can't quite believe my luck still, and will only really believe it when the dash turns up. But - hats off to RT. I'm not sure if their dash is still an option on the Atom 4? (and I really don't think Ariel are currently building any Nomads), and although I do think that the AIM dash is quite sexy, but if I was speccing a car today I really wouldn't have any reservations about going the DASH2 route given RT's commitment, and personally I am quite a fan of its layout and function.

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm

That is great news [mention]Mutley[/mention] sounds like a good result!

Intrigued by your comment about not building any Nomads at the moment? Due to Nomad 2?

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:51 am

mynamesnotbob wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm That is great news @Mutley sounds like a good result!

Intrigued by your comment about not building any Nomads at the moment? Due to Nomad 2?
No one has said this directly, but I don't think anyone has seen a Nomad on the 'production line' at the factory since the set of Nomad Rs were finished. The NA K24 engine they use is I think no longer available, and the unit going in the Atom 4 won't fit in the Nomad.

Don't want to indulge in mis-informed speculation but it does seem that either they will announce a Nomad 2 with a new powerplant soon and that will offered to those on the waiting list, or those same people will have to wait quite a while for it to be both designed and built - if the latter could be quite a wait I guess.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:02 pm

mynamesnotbob wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm That is great news @Mutley sounds like a good result!
+1 Great news! :tu:
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:16 pm

I'm at the factory on Wednesday, I'll certainly report back on presence or absence of Nomads in production.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:29 pm

Mutley wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:51 am

No one has said this directly, but I don't think anyone has seen a Nomad on the 'production line' at the factory since the set of Nomad Rs were finished. The NA K24 engine they use is I think no longer available, and the unit going in the Atom 4 won't fit in the Nomad.

Don't want to indulge in mis-informed speculation but it does seem that either they will announce a Nomad 2 with a new powerplant soon and that will offered to those on the waiting list, or those same people will have to wait quite a while for it to be both designed and built - if the latter could be quite a wait I guess.
Be interesting to know if there is a Nomad 2 on the way. May explain why there seems to be a lot of Nomads for sale from those in the "know".

mynamesnotbob

Post by mynamesnotbob » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:02 pm

Interesting thanks all, and sorry for the thread hijack - having been all set to go on a Nomad, there was always a nagging feeling that I should see if the Nomad 2 was around the corner

Sorry again for thread hijack!

Mutley

Post by Mutley » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Jerry wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:29 pm
Mutley wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:51 am

Be interesting to know if there is a Nomad 2 on the way. May explain why there seems to be a lot of Nomads for sale from those in the "know".
Well they might have quite a wait. Many of us would rather have a "Bird in the hand than a '2' in the bush" :laugh:

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:25 pm

As always, it will be ready for "Easter" ! :laugh:
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold