Atoms for sale - information thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
atomiser

Re: Atoms for sale - information thread

Post by atomiser » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:07 pm

1% of the final transaction (min. £20, max. £35). 

Plus whatever reserve etc you have gone for - less for business.

Cheap then

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Is that John Scherrer's car, mentioned in this months CAR mag?

Cheers,
Hedge

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 am

It could well be Andrew!

Before Ariel sold it, I got a call from Tracker at 5:40 am to say my car was in alarm, was it safe?

I assumed it was as it was at Crewkerne, but called them when they opened to be told the car was being put on a transporter for a Car Magazine photo shoot that day !

Was a bit miffed they didn't ask if that was ok and more so as they ignored the Tracker process at 5:30 am !

Must get myself a copy ..

Thanks for the heads up!
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 am

Here's an "interesting one" - a 10k mile, 2009 Atom 3 na for £22k, but based in the Canaries: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ariel-atom/1 ... :rk:6:pf:0

Discuss...
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:05 pm

It's a cat D with no indy or factory service history mentioned.

Price is probably vatex so there is £4k on that plus any other import duties. Possibly need to go through EVA here as well.

With that and the delivery and inspection cost, it would be close to a pukka one in blighty

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Atomiser

As this is a RHD Atom I suspect that it is in fact ex UK and will be VAT paid - anyway the Canaries, as they are part of Spain, are in the EU (just not for unlimited duty paid tobacco & alcohol by air travelers due to the special island enterprise area prices!!)

If it has indeed had a new frame from Ariel - I suspect due probaby to a crash while racing or being tracked - then Ariel should have a record of this - if it was properly rebuilt from the frame up then there should be few problems that an in-depth service and set up back at the Ariel factory couldn't sort out.

Even including shipping (I would estimate about +/- £650 including VAT and port fees) it would be very cheap if, on top of the shipping costs, about £5000 was also budgeted for at the factory to include new boots!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:46 pm

What did they take the pictures with a 2009 smart phone! It looks like it's had a hard life. By the time it's cleaned up, I suspect you are getting near what a much better condition Atom would cost as mentioned earlier.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 pm

autobackup wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm Atomiser

As this is a RHD Atom I suspect that it is in fact ex UK and will be VAT paid - anyway the Canaries, as they are part of Spain, are in the EU (just not for unlimited duty paid tobacco & alcohol by air travelers due to the special island enterprise area prices!!)

If it has indeed had a new frame from Ariel - I suspect due probaby to a crash while racing or being tracked - then Ariel should have a record of this - if it was properly rebuilt from the frame up then there should be few problems that an in-depth service and set up back at the Ariel factory couldn't sort out.

Even including shipping (I would estimate about +/- £650 including VAT and port fees) it would be very cheap if, on top of the shipping costs, about £5000 was also budgeted for at the factory to include new boots!
You still need absolute proof of VAT paid - DVLA will not give out a reg on an import without that proof under their new rules. The original receipt with vat paid maybe long gone after 10 years https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... t-and-duty

Additionally you would need to go through an EVA which is about £3k with the factory if you want it road legal.

Its worth noting an inspection is important - all the older AA2/3 atoms I looked at, without a factory/indy proper service history, required £5+k to bring them upto standard according to the factory. The frame looks in terrible condition - minor refurb on mine cost £850 per side

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 pm

It's actually temping to go for this to get a car now:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ariel-Atom-3 ... 0005.m1851

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 pm

simonrhart wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 pm It's actually temping to go for this to get a car now:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ariel-Atom-3 ... 0005.m1851
Each to their own, but I'd have spent the "...£12,245.00 in optional extras added to this vehicle..." differently. But it's available now and it's easy to get the hop-ups added if you need / desire them so I can see why you may be tempted

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm

It is missing the supercharger and alcon brakes, other than that its a very nice spec. I would not be happy paying £42k though without a supercharger. It will be another £5k for that.

CAG3D

Post by CAG3D » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm

I drove the Atom at 6th Gear 6 years ago.
It was so bad it actually put me off Atoms.
I did call Ariel to tell them my experience was shite, and the cars don’t do anything for their rep.
It was a dog, restricted, so didn’t feel remotely quick.
It was a shame, I drove the 911 Turbo, Lamborghini, and lastly the Atom, and it was the Atom I really wanted to try, but sooooo disappointing!
The 911 was the best of the bunch, which is what I ended up buying.
Anyway I’ve given in now, it’s sat in the garage waiting to hit the tarmac!!! This crap weather is killing me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:51 am

simonrhart wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm It is missing the supercharger and alcon brakes ...
and adjustable dampers/two piece springs

Anon

Post by Anon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 am

The ad says Bilsteins so I assumed adjustable 2 way shocks.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:30 pm

This 2011 supercharged 3 reappeared yesterday (it was for sale with the same pretty awful photos some months ago) it has obviously been the owner's track toy since they bought it from the factory 2 years ago. It comes with lots of extras including a new spare front wing.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ed/9394072

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range