Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Preseh

Re: Atom 4 buyers spec discussion thread

Post by Preseh » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 am

Spec looks good! I think I'll be going fairly similar but with the Ohlins and traction control - I'm going to need all the help I can get on a wet track (and probably a dry one too for that matter!) :laugh:

Out of interest, can you get the brake callipers painted by the factory? I want to keep the spec black but potentially with some accents to brighten things up.

On the fence about the aero too... I bet it'll look awesome but I think I'll have to see the on-track benefits before taking the plunge otherwise my budget will be well and truly blown.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Is March a realistic time frame for delivery? This would mean the build would need to start this month.

Simon

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:19 pm

I am hoping for March might be April for mine. They are hoping to start builds next month, however when dealing with new suppliers you never know if everything will turn up on time. Fingers crossed

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:42 pm

simonrhart wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm Is March a realistic time frame for delivery? This would mean the build would need to start this month.

Simon
With the parts queued up, I think the "build" only takes a couple of weeks. From absolute start to finish it's longer, you're right. But from the factory point of view, the "final assembly" I think isn't anywhere near that.

So yes, Arch probably need to be welding away now, and parts being ordered in for the rest of it. But at the factory, I doubt you'd see your car in build until a few weeks before handover. Indeed from memory, I'd take the payment of the first half of the cost to be an indicator of "roughly" when it starts.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm

phil4 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:42 pm
simonrhart wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm Is March a realistic time frame for delivery? This would mean the build would need to start this month.

Simon
With the parts queued up, I think the "build" only takes a couple of weeks. From absolute start to finish it's longer, you're right. But from the factory point of view, the "final assembly" I think isn't anywhere near that.

So yes, Arch probably need to be welding away now, and parts being ordered in for the rest of it. But at the factory, I doubt you'd see your car in build until a few weeks before handover. Indeed from memory, I'd take the payment of the first half of the cost to be an indicator of "roughly" when it starts.
That's not what I understand. The factory told me once the build slot is ready or confirmed, the car will be complete 10-12 weeks later. So if you get your build slot in January you hand over your final spec, the car should be complete in March/April. As we don't have prices for many of the items yet i.e. gearbox, wheels etc. Delivery for March is pretty optimistic I'd say.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:59 pm

simonrhart wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:23 pm
phil4 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Simon

That's not what I understand. The factory told me once the build slot is ready or confirmed, the car will be complete 10-12 weeks later. So if you get your build slot in January you hand over your final spec, the car should be complete in March/April. As we don't have prices for many of the items yet i.e. gearbox, wheels etc. Delivery for March is pretty optimistic I'd say.
I think we're all just looking at different points of the build. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't take Ariel 10-12 weeks to assemble the car. That a car doesn't sit there in the build bay for 10-12 weeks. Indeed the service guys have put cars together (albeit from pre-made parts) in a matter of days (albeit under pressure)... like this:

Drop that down to mostly one person, and taking their time a little more, I suspect they'd have it done within a couple of weeks.

That's what I mean by time to build. From build slot confirmed, or frame on order... sure it'll take a lot more time.

What I'm trying to say (and evidence above suggests I'm unlikely to be too far out) is that the build of parts, frame etc. may well be starting now, for delivery in March. But as above, there won't be a bay with your car in until Feb, and that's about when Ariel will start "building it".

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm

to confirm

It takes between 140-200 hours to assemble your car depending on spec.

A 3.5R was around 230 hrs.

A V8 was around 800 hours.

We havent started any sub assemblies for Atom 4 - the car is built entirely from scratch, by one technician start to finish in one sitting.

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm

There is no way you can build a car in a couple weeks, certainly not one I would ride in let alone buy.

That sounds more like it around 200hrs or so is 5 to 6 weeks as Henry just said. So the 10-12 weeks I assume includes time to get the chassis made and other parts ordered?

smokin

Post by smokin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Many hands make light work - and an Atom in quick time

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm

simonrhart wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm There is no way you can build a car in a couple weeks, certainly not one I would ride in let alone buy.
Whether you choose to buy it, the one in the video took a couple of days.
simonrhart wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:23 pm That sounds more like it around 200hrs or so is 5 to 6 weeks as Henry just said. So the 10-12 weeks I assume includes time to get the chassis made and other parts ordered?
In fairness Henry's time's suggest 17.5 - 25 days... so 3.5 to 5 weeks. So yes, I was out by a factor of 2 and a smidge.

And yes, that's exactly what I've been trying to say, the 10-12 weeks includes the other bits being made, not the car sitting in Somerset being built at Ariel.

I may be out a bit on the stats, but I'm trying to help as I've been through the process before... not argue the toss left and right.

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:43 pm

I’d guess the mixed messages might be down to the first few cars will naturally take longer to build whilst Ariel optimise the process and coach and support the rest of the build team getting up to speed.

It wouldn’t surprise me to hear that the first few take 10 weeks the next few 9 weeks etc

Am I way off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:46 pm

That black-framed card in the time lapse YouTube video was built from scartch in under a day by many Ariel techies during the factory tour Atom 'X' celebrations ... 5th Sept 2010

In some of these pics, you can see the camera mounted high up on a wall shelf.

Some of the delays are outside Ariel's control due to booking slots for the IVA test etc
Attachments
Point 174.jpg
Point 174.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 178.jpg
Point 178.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 175.jpg
Point 175.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 176.jpg
Point 176.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 171.jpg
Point 171.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 141.jpg
Point 141.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 158s.jpg
Point 158s.jpg (733.33 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Point 157.jpg
Point 157.jpg (3.26 MiB) Viewed 1305 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Thewelder

Post by Thewelder » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Must have been winter as not a pair of shorts in sight ;D ;D

Anon

Post by Anon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:46 pm

phil4 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm
I may be out a bit on the stats, but I'm trying to help as I've been through the process before... not argue the toss left and right.
I know and it's great to learn thank you, I have not been through this process yet. To me all the internal process of buying/building parts and timelines of such etc doesn't matter and confuses people also. What does matter is when your slot is confirmed and you hand over the final spec sheet, 10-12 weeks later you have a car. This is important to know because one needs to make sure you have enough cash to pay for the beast! and to make sure you have the space in the garage for the new queen! My car is at the top top end of my budget as it is at 20k more than I originally planned :)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:49 pm

It's ready when it's ready .. !

While you're waiting, buy a used one, drive it and enjoy it for 1-2 years and get most of your money back before you have to drop the final balance :wize:
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold