Atom chassis paint code

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Toilet Duck

Atom chassis paint code

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:11 pm

Evening all,

I want to touch up a few minor stone chips etc on my 2011 Atom 3. Does any know the paint code? It's the slightly darker grey compared to earlier versions. I was hoping someone who has had paint made up for similar reasons would have a paint code I can use.

Cheers in advance 8)

autobackup

Re: Atom chassis paint code

Post by autobackup » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 am

TD

I suggest that you call the Ariel factory and ask - I suyspect that they can probably help with the exact shade but, in the mean time, I would point out that it is not 'paint' as such as an Atom frame is powdercoated of which the colour, I would imagine, might be rather more difficult to match with plain paint!

However if you take your Atom to a good paintshop they should be able to photo computer match the colour and get something very very close to it's powdercoat colour?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Hiya,

I rang the factory a while ago about this but they told me that there isn't a paint code. Obviously there must be some sort of code/reference for the colour in order to ensure consistency.

When the factory repair damaged atoms needing chassis repairs, they obviously get new/repaired chassis sections painted (rather than strip the whole car to get the chassis re-powdercoated) so there must be a paint code.

I know it's powdercoated and not "paint" but was hoping someone had had some paint matched up in the past with success, otherwise I'll try some local paint factors and see what they come up with.

Cheers :tu:

smokin

Post by smokin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:40 pm

If you can get a small quantity of the powder from the factory or Arc, mixing with clear nail polish (or other lacquer) does a good touch up job

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:52 pm

I took mine to Halfords where they mixed a small touch-up bottle using colour match samples.

Not perfect, but it does the job.

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

Toilet Duck wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm Hiya,

Obviously there must be some sort of code/reference for the colour in order to ensure consistency.

TD, there is a code - but its a code that means nothing to anyone, because its a colour we had made. it doesn't exist on the RAL chart for powder coatings.

Ill echo the thoughts of the others, and your thoughts - go to some paint shops / paint factors and get them to match as closely as possible.

Sorry we couldn't be of more use this time round!

Smokin - that's a good idea! however - most powders (that we supply anyway! because were seemingly awkward like that... but definitely not on purpose i might add) change colour when they're baked...

I am happy to try to get a 35mm film case or equivalent suitable container) full of powder if you'd like to try TD?

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Henry,

Appreciate the offer but Im going to go with the option of visiting a local paint supplier to get some matched up. :tu:

Do you not have a paint code from when you've had to spray cars following chassis repairs?

Cheers

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:58 pm

TD,

Ok :tu:

We dont have the code no, as the repair is done out of house by a professional painter. They match the paint when they get the car there... As with powder its slightly different every time - mostly dependent on thickness, but a few other variations too. One pot of grey might not match the next one!

If we can assist in any other way - let us know.

Anon

Post by Anon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 am

Has anyone thought about wrapping their chassis to avoid these issues? maybe a clear wrap or even coloured so the colour can change more easily.

Simon