Atom 4 - Build and Collection

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Atom 4

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 pm

No it is a very basic one. If the car is missing, call the police then call tracker and they will contact the police and tell them where the car is. Basic but cheap. They do not alert you if the car moves without the dongle in it

I believe the tracker Ariel specify and fit is the Tracker Monitor - This will send an alarm to Tracker if the car is moved or just pushed/rolled without the Ignition being activated as it uses a motion sensor.

It will also send an alarm to Tracker if you disconnecet the car's battery for any reason.
Similarly if it detects the dedicated internal Tracker battery is getting low, it sends an alarm.

Tracker will then call you on the designated mobile/telephone no and if no reply, they will also send you a text.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 am

They’re going to be using “AllTrac” going forwards. I have their system on my bikes. They’re very good, both the units themselves & the company.

Cheers,
Hedge

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 am

djh9j wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:46 pm Does that price sound about right?
No, it sounds a bit high. Of course there's lot of variables, but I've had expected you to be paying more like half that.

On the modifications/options side of things. I've always declared them to the insurer, but it's never made any difference. Usually I do it by sending a spreadsheet with them all listed, and clearly state they're factory fitted options. I've not had any problems that way.

Buuuut, I've never gone with AF. I've used MSM and REIS, both of whom are brokers and deal with kit cars, track cars etc. Whereas I always got the impression that AF were more a mainstream insurer who catered for barry'd up corsas.

I'd shop around a bit, and definitely try REIS.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:33 am

This is interesting.

As all atoms are different I have not listed options. As noted why would they care about?

LSD
Baffled sump
bigger, stronger brakes.
stainless brake pipes,
different mirrors
different dampers
quick release steering wheel
towing connections
different harnesses
different tyres
aero screens
fuel cap
carbon panels
colour options

Handbrake is legal requirement. Is everyone telling their insurance when one ISNT fitted! Same goes for fitting the decat. Both invalidate your insurance as the car is not MOT standard. An inspector might miss the decat, but the handbrake missing is an obviously illegal car.

I have stated the car is a 320 model, beyond that do they really need a list of all the other bits? With cats in place and handbrake fitted, i'm not worried about insurance. :)

I guess I will ask, but almost all of it is irrelevant, excepting power upgrades.

EDIT
A- Plan don't care About Ariel factory options. They did ask power output though.
REIS also don't care About Ariel factory options. They just care power upgrades.
Last edited by Peter255 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:36 am

The reason I send a list is that the insurance in the unfortunate event of being needed seems to go on the market value of the car. As the market value is very much defined by the options selected (obviously some more than others), I thought it wise to list them.

My concern is that obviously if not listed, and declared simply as an Atom 4 320, that you'd get the value of the basic car... not the one you're driving.

It's basically to try and ensure they have all the info, and leave no grey area or room for wriggle.

No, I wouldn't list things that made it illegal.

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:45 am

Fair point.

I have this week declared the supercharger and paid extra because the 'model' of my car has now changed from a Nomad 235 to a Nomad 300.

Who decides the market value? Surely there is a book that says an Atom 4 is worth X and an Atom 2 is worth Y. Or maybe valuation is sought from the factory. I have heard of one or two that have been in accidents and the car was valued by the factory when the insurers were trying to work out whether to repair or replace.

Maybe this needs it's own thread. I can't see it having been discussed in any detail anywhere.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 am

phil4 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:36 am The reason I send a list is that the insurance in the unfortunate event of being needed seems to go on the market value of the car. As the market value is very much defined by the options selected (obviously some more than others), I thought it wise to list them.

My concern is that obviously if not listed, and declared simply as an Atom 4 320, that you'd get the value of the basic car... not the one you're driving.

It's basically to try and ensure they have all the info, and leave no grey area or room for wriggle.

No, I wouldn't list things that made it illegal.
Just had a chat to A-Plan and they contact Ariel with the chassis number who confirm the spec. So no need to list everything to them in the event of a claim. I guess that puts those not specifying the handbrake in an interesting position though, unless Ariel are creative with their feedback.

REIS also confirmed they don't care unless there are power upgrades. They will request the spec sheet from the claimant and pictures to confirm the value of options in the event of a claim.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Badders

Post by Badders » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am

Thought I'd post a quick note as I've now had my car since Monday and have had the chance to do a couple of hundred miles. It's my first Atom, and it's been on order for a little over two years.

First, the build. Fit and finish is exceptional. I have an Ace, which I've always considered to be something of a work of art, and the car is no exception. The mouldings, switchgear, panels and absolutely everything is so precise and well manufactured. And the welding. I could stare at it all day.

It's surprisingly comfortable. The seats are great and very well shaped. I may need some self adhesive foam pads (can anyone recommend?) as I have a bad back, but it's not the cars fault. It's not that windy either, which surprised me. The little perspex screen is very effective.

The dash is great and clear, although I'd like a more prominent rev counter. It isn't very clear at a glance as RPM is indicated as decimal numbers and a tiny dial (for example 4,200rpm is shown as 4.2). It may be possible to change it, but there are no manuals for the car yet, and I haven't found a method while I've been playing with the dash. My car is a 350, and I have the variable boost controller. The three stages are as follows: rapid, OMFG, and time warp. Or 290, 320 and 350bhp.

The engine. Oh my sh*t. The engine is fantastic. So, so tractable and smooth. No noticeable lag to speak of in any gear, at any RPM. The throttle is so progressive, and lower in the rev range, it is very docile and smooth in town traffic. Further up the range, once on boost, it's a case of feeding it gears as fast as you can. Relentless. I've spent many years on 1000cc superbikes. This car matches the majority of the performance specs on paper. On the road it's so much quicker because you can use it without fear of falling off the back, or punching a motorbike shaped hole in the hedgerows.

The brakes are tremendous. I have the AP big brake kit. I was a bit concerned as they were poor to begin with, and lacked feel. I shouldn't have worried. Now they're scrubbed in, they are fantastic. Lots of feel, and very, very effective.

Noise. This is one thing I will never tire of. The whooshes, chatter, and whine of the turbo is incredible. It sits about 10 inches behind your left ear, but sounds like it's in your ear canal. Wear ear plugs. Seriously. The exhaust note is great (sports exhaust on my car), and sounds excellent for a 4 cylinder engine. It's not that loud from the drivers seat, but my family have informed me it is very loud from outside. May be a problem at track days. I'll find out soon.

The keyless ignition is great, and very convenient. It can be disabled with an additional fob if desired for track days etc.

Rear visibility is great through the mirrors and utterly hopeless for reversing. I gather that's something you have to get used to if you have an Atom.

I had a bit of a hoo-ha with Tracker trying to get my unit subscribed. It's a battery powered Retrieve unit. Fit and forget. It doesn't need ignition to move the car, and will only be activated when a call is made to the centre if the car goes missing. Subscription is reasonably priced. They're aware now, and it won't be an issue going forward.

I think that's it. Happy to answer any questions anyone has, but probably not until a bit later. I'm going out in the car. :vroom:

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:06 am

FWIW Adrian Flux is not an insurance company per se - but are actually brokers who usually place the insurance (if possible) with a Lloyd's Syndicate!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:13 am

autobackup wrote:FWIW Adrian Flux is not an insurance company per se - but are actually brokers who usually place the insurance (if possible) with a Lloyd's Syndicate!
They openly admitted to me on the phone that they are not competitive on Atoms. So if ur really stuck or have 45mins to waste, phone em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:40 am

Badders wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am My car is a 350, and I have the variable boost controller. The three stages are as follows: rapid, OMFG, and time warp. Or 290, 320 and 350bhp.
Did you have a go in the normal 320 car?
Is there a big difference with the 350 car?
For example. Ecu tuned more agressive, throttle respons,......
Thx

Badders

Post by Badders » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Tompy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:40 am
Thx
Hi Tompy. I didn't get to drive a 4 unfortunately, as test drives were stopped by that point. Steve did take me out in the 350 though, but stayed in map 2.

My butt dyno tells me that there isn't much difference in throttle response between the maps. They all seem equally linear and progressive. I could be completely wrong though, and happy to be corrected. That said, I haven't spent a huge amount of time in map 3, or at the top of the rev range. I keep running out of road. Once on boost, it's ferocious.

Ariel have done a wonderful job with the mapping. It's so smooth everywhere.

Tompy

Post by Tompy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Badders wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:28 pm
Tompy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:40 am
Thx
Hi Tompy. I didn't get to drive a 4 unfortunately, as test drives were stopped by that point. Steve did take me out in the 350 though, but stayed in map 2.

My butt dyno tells me that there isn't much difference in throttle response between the maps. They all seem equally linear and progressive. I could be completely wrong though, and happy to be corrected. That said, I haven't spent a huge amount of time in map 3, or at the top of the rev range. I keep running out of road. Once on boost, it's ferocious.

Ariel have done a wonderful job with the mapping. It's so smooth everywhere.
So do you think the 350 upgrade is worth the money?
Big difference between 320 and 350 on boost control?
Thx

Badders

Post by Badders » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Yes, absolutely. The difference is quite significant. Of course, in such a lightweight car, that 30bhp is very noticeable. You also feel every kilo... A fact I constantly reminded my chunky mate about when I took him out earlier.

atomiser

Post by atomiser » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:57 pm

I think 350 is a conservative estimate by ariel :-)

Most tuners see 360 to 380 on this engine
Attachments
Screenshot_20190808-214823_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190808-214823_Chrome.jpg (792.24 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Screenshot_20190808-213003_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190808-213003_Chrome.jpg (260.96 KiB) Viewed 630 times