Different tyre pressures on toyo/kumho/yoko??

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AlanP

Re: Different tyre pressures on toyo/kumho/yoko??

Post by AlanP » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Dear Mr. Duck

Excellent couple of videos. Nice footwork and dream passenger in the first one.

Alan

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:34 pm

I know this might be teaching granny to suck eggs but here my tuppence...

change one thing at a time!

I think a camber change (maybe an extra half degree?) will help you with the uneven wear more than the tire pressure... Its possible the outside edge of the tyre is overheating (although they aren't starting to blue) and wearing very quickly. Exasperated (spelling?) by the super soft compound. is the inside edge of tyre looks virtually untouched.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am

Nice work. That hand held camera by the passenger looks well dodgy! Not allowed at Castle Combe.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 am

AlanP wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 pm Dear Mr. Duck

Excellent couple of videos. Nice footwork and dream passenger in the first one.

Alan
Cheers, was definitely a passenger to remember!
Sir Nick wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:49 am Nice work. That hand held camera by the passenger looks well dodgy! Not allowed at Castle Combe.
Not normally allowed hand held cameras etc anywhere, but because it was a charity day and not a trackday, the rules are a bit more lenient. Plus that passenger was a fellow volunteer ;)

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:03 am

dc5ian wrote:i used to run r888 with the usual pressures.

i upgraded my wheels and went bigger, i can run a 255 tyre now. i choose to go r888r and run the same pressures as i did with the the r888. i was expecting more grip especially with the wider tyres. this wasn't the case and it was like driving on eggshells.

be handy to know if a different tyer pressure would help or do i need a new set of tyres. ive been off work all summer due to me tearing a ligament, as im self employed ive lost a fair amount of money so i don't have loads of spare cash at the moment.

The eggshell thing is exactly why I opened this thread, in the mean time I talked to a lot of trackday boys who liked the r888 just like I did on my previous atom and all where disappointed by the new tyre. They just don’t work on our cars.
For me starting cold on 13 and 19 psi and just don’t do a thing during the day (so hot is a fair bit more, especcially as all my trackdays where 30+ degrees) worked out the best...probably due to the floppy sidewall, they need more pressure.

But they still don’t nearly give me the trust as the old ones did. Them trackdayboys who had the same experience all went to the kumho’s and all told me they gained as much as 3-5 seconds a lap on a 2 minute lap!

So that’s what I’m switching to, but having second thoughts about hard or medium rears...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 am

ive just put a set of avon zzr on mine coming from the r888r. ill let you know how they compare in a few weeks. 43

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm

dc5ian wrote:ive just put a set of avon zzr on mine coming from the r888r. ill let you know how they compare in a few weeks. 43

So how did it go?

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:49 am

dc5ian wrote:ive just put a set of avon zzr on mine coming from the r888r. ill let you know how they compare in a few weeks. 43
Still qurious for your experiences as I just bought a set too. What pressures are you using? I think to start with 16 front and 19 rear, allthough Avon advices some bits higher (but thats also with yoko and toyo)

Nick C

Post by Nick C » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Toilet Duck..
nice driving there.
your car looks very well set up. not much movement at all...

can I ask what pedal box you are using? I have tried, but just cant heel & toe, due to the pedals being at differing heights... are they adjustable ones ?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi Nick

Yours are height adjustable too !

The process involves adjusting the brake cylinder pushrod nuts to move the brake pedal to the correct height for you.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 am

Nick,

The brake pedal should be a fair bit 'higher' in the travel than the throttle. so should be fairly level when applying a medium - firm brake pressure.

Whats happening in your car?

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 am

Nick C wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm Hi Toilet Duck..
nice driving there.
your car looks very well set up. not much movement at all...

can I ask what pedal box you are using? I have tried, but just cant heel & toe, due to the pedals being at differing heights... are they adjustable ones ?
Hi Nick,

Looks like you've already got the replies you need but yes, I'm using the standard Atom 3 pedal box which is adjustable. I had to fiddle with the brake pedal to raise it higher than the accelerator to a point I was happy with. I have it set so that when I'm hard on the brake pedal it's pretty much in-line with the accelerator pedal.

Cheers :vroom:

Nick C

Post by Nick C » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:54 am

HenryJS wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:40 am Nick,

The brake pedal should be a fair bit 'higher' in the travel than the throttle. so should be fairly level when applying a medium - firm brake pressure.

Hi...
its nothing serious.. just that when applying the brake my "heel" (side of foot) is catching the side of the throttle..so not making proper contact.
I think, perhaps the brake pedal just needs to be a bit higher. I was unsure if it could be moved or not

Nick C

Post by Nick C » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi...
its nothing serious.. just that when applying the brake my "heel" (side of foot) is catching the side of the throttle..so not making proper contact.
I think, perhaps the brake pedal just needs to be a bit higher. I was unsure if it could be moved or not

Nick C

Post by Nick C » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi...