Atom Fuel system issues

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Maxi_z

Atom Fuel system issues

Post by Maxi_z » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi

I would like to know if there are any specific issues on the fuel system on the uk supercharged Atom 3.

Anyone had to replace the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator or any problems with the fuel tank?

I ask that as there was some kind of hesitation at around 7000 rpm at wot on my Atom 3.5R but after some use and using some fuel additive it seems now ok but I was wondering if it could be something related to the fuel pump.

Fuel filter is new and spark plugs are new too.

dc5ian

Re: Atom Fuel system issues

Post by dc5ian » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 pm

was you low on fuel. you could be getting fuel cut.

ive had many problems with the fuel pump. ive bitten the bullet and going to install a proper fuel pump and housing to replace the rover unit ariel use.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 pm

dc5ian wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 pm

ive had many problems with the fuel pump. ive bitten the bullet and going to install a proper fuel pump and housing to replace the rover unit ariel use.
Just for future reference, do you mind sharing what you've gone for? Do you know what sort of pressure the OE fuel pump is good for i.e. up to what BHP can it safely supply enough fuel?

Cheers :)

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm

i modified the existing pump and put a 255l. ive also changed the hoses going into it. but ive had problems with the rubber seal leaking and the pump stop working which means ive had to pull it out a few times which is a pain.

ive also had problems with fuel starvation with over 20ls of fuel in the tank

so ive gone out a bought a Aeromotive Phantom 340 Stealth Universal Fuel Pump, which ill be fitting in the next few weeks.

it will take out the fuel gauge sender unit, but lets face it that thing never works anyhow.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

dc5ian wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 pm i modified the existing pump and put a 255l. ive also changed the hoses going into it. but ive had problems with the rubber seal leaking and the pump stop working which means ive had to pull it out a few times which is a pain.

ive also had problems with fuel starvation with over 20ls of fuel in the tank

so ive gone out a bought a Aeromotive Phantom 340 Stealth Universal Fuel Pump, which ill be fitting in the next few weeks.

it will take out the fuel gauge sender unit, but lets face it that thing never works anyhow.
Jesus, that looks like a serious fuel pump! Interested to know how you get on, good luck :tu:

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 am

Maxi_z wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:49 pm Hi

I would like to know if there are any specific issues on the fuel system on the uk supercharged Atom 3.

Anyone had to replace the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator or any problems with the fuel tank?

I ask that as there was some kind of hesitation at around 7000 rpm at wot on my Atom 3.5R but after some use and using some fuel additive it seems now ok but I was wondering if it could be something related to the fuel pump.

Fuel filter is new and spark plugs are new too.
Maxi,

What grade fuel are you using?

if there is an issue with the fuel system it should be looked at... as you really dont want to starve the engine of fuel, it to run lean - overheat and cause damage!

dc5ian

Post by dc5ian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:47 pm

well update on mine:

engine is out, fuel tank out (without touching the tub)

now just need to install the new pump, will also be upgrading the lines, fuel rail and wires going to the pump