Atom 3.5R chargecooler

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Maxi_z

Atom 3.5R chargecooler

Post by Maxi_z » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi

I own a UK Ariel Atom 3 supercharged from 2009 that was then upgraded with a full 3.5R kit at the factory.

I had to replace the chargecooler dedicated water pump as it was leaking and then purged the system but there was some coolant coming out of the overfill hose.

Then I replaced the cap and the problem stopped but I was wondering if people using the 3.5R on track usually top up the system often or if there is a specific air purge procedure.

I removed the screw on top of chargecooler radiator to let the air out when filling and then let the engine run a little at idle without cap and topped up a few times but sometimes I still have to add some coolant on the small tank.

Thanks

Maxi_z

Re: Atom 3.5R chargecooler

Post by Maxi_z » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Just for update the problem was that the small radiator fitted in the chargecooler was leaking and the coolant was going in the engine.

Everything fixed and performance is back to normal.

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Was it the actual chargecooler core in the inlet manifold that was leaking or the radiator in the side pod for cooling the chargecooler core that was leaking?

Also, are you (or any other 3.5R owner) able to tell me the size of the chargecooler core fitted in the inlet manifold? And also the size of the radiator fitted in the side pod used to cool the coolant for the chargecooler circuit?

Many thanks :)

Maxi_z

Post by Maxi_z » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 am

It was the chargecooler core in the inlet manifold that was leaking.

I asked the factory for a replacement that they would have in stock but at around £1000

I had a custom one made locally for around £350

I do not have the exact size but the charge cooler core is quite small maybe 20cmx15cm

If you need the exact sizes I ll see if the mechanic remembers them or if there is still the old one around and I can measure the pod one

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:17 am

Surely this chargecooler core leakage problem should have been covered under warranty?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Maxi_z

Post by Maxi_z » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:08 am

I bought the car used and it's from 2009 so probably not

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 pm

When did you have the upgrade to 3.5R charge cooler and oil cooler installed?

Your Atom may have been built in 2009 (mine is 2011) but the 3.5R upgrade has not been available for very long so the inlet core might well still fall under the UK Common Law Sale of Goods 'fit for purpose' regulations - which are not subject to any installer/manufacturer offered warranty period as they can extend for a considerably greater period than any warranty implied or offered?

The manufacturer warranty is trumped by the UK Sale of Goods legislation - despite any fancy warranty paperwork - just ask your local Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) or your solicitor about your rights.

My Atom was upgraded to 3.5R earlier this year and I would not hesitate to request that such a problem should be rectified ASAP by Ariel who fitted it should it occur within the next couple of years or so!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Maxi_z wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 am I asked the factory for a replacement that they would have in stock but at around £1000
£1000?!?! What was it made of? Ground up unicorn horns woven together with mermaid pubes?