What trailer?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
autobackup

What trailer?

Post by autobackup » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

I have almost decided to purchase a trailer to ship back to Cyprus (with my repaired Atom perched on it).

To containerise a car the price is calculated on length x width (height is immaterial) so it will be the trailer size that dictates the price - my Atom will, to all intents and purposes, be shipped free!

After some considerable research I have come to the conclusion that I (should I decide to go ahead) will probably need to buy a Woodford WBT-060 (2330mm overall width) as it will fit (but only just!) through the door of a standard 40' container (2350mm)

- the recommended Brian James trailer (#125-2222) is marginally too wide to risk at 2338mm (it is also some 360mm longer overall - which is an extra £190 + VAT shipping cost)!

The Brian James #125-2222 trailer is also £69 + VAT more expensiive than the Woodford WBT-060 but generally they appear to be fairly similar to my untutored eye.

Anyone have experience of Woodford trailers? (i.e. build quality)

Anybody have any suggestions re any other manufacturers?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

smokin

Re: What trailer?

Post by smokin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:26 am

Have you considered a beavertail? PRG are good and will customise length to your reqts http://www.prgtrailers.co.uk/products/t ... eavertail/
Attachments
lodeck-beavertail-trailer-w960h450.jpg
lodeck-beavertail-trailer-w960h450.jpg (101.2 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 am

Paul there is also the single axle 3.7m long bed Brian James the 126-1221 which would suit the Atom. Its the cheaper model, however its the same width as the one you looking at. Is there a reason a twin axle is recommended? Given the car is so light and as long as you maintain the tyres properly?

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am

I had a Woodford Widebody trailer for the Atom a few years back, I think it was the single axle model maybe a WBT-030. Great build quality overall but you had to be careful loading, the tub would catch on the trailer due to the load angles. It was not a problem if loading the Atom when the trailers not hitched as you could raise the nose. It was incredibly tight with garage door though, it damaged the tyre in the process of squeezing it through... Plenty of length on this model, maybe could have gone 1 foot shorter if you were looking to save on the shipping costs.
Attachments
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1394.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1275 times

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

Another pic of the Atom and trailer,
Attachments
IMG_1396.jpg
IMG_1396.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1275 times

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

russty_james

Did you just buy the standard (short) supplied ramps that come with the basic trailer or did you opt for the longer ones which are avaialble from the Woodford options list?

Did you only use the standard length supplied ramps?

If you had opted for the longer ones do you think that it might possibly have sorted the tub problem?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

russty_james

Post by russty_james » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 am

As I purchased the Widebody model it came with the ramps integrated into the trailer, I'm pretty sure there was no option for longer ramps. The ramp length was around 6ft from memory, I only ever used the ramps that it came with.

I got used to loading the trailer whilst not attached to the car at an angle, it was never really a problem for me. I bolted some rubber trailer truck stops beneath the lights on the rear of the trailer allowing the trailer to sit on the ground for loading

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Am wondering if a trailer is the way to go for the Atom. Needs to fit in quite a narrow garage (as will have to store the Atom on the trailer, with both being kept in the garage.

Will need to measure up and assess options. Trailer is on the options list as I intend to head out to the Ring and I am too old and intolerant to make the schelp without aircon and streamed Radio 4 comedy.

stupot

Post by stupot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm

I can certainly recommend the PRG Lodeck Beavertail that they custom made for me to fit in a single garage of 16' x 8' with a 7' wide door. Overall size of the trailer is 15' x 6'6" with the deck 11' x 6'6". The change they made was to make the A-Frame slightly shorter and even with this is totally stable even at 75-80 leptons ;D . Make sure you get a winch and rear support stands so you easily load/unload when in the garage plus a hitch lock for security.

A bonus is that I find it a perfect height to work on the car standing up with the Atom on axle stands. I could just about work on it my garage but could roll it outside if necessary. We've just moved house so now have a double garage but the Atom still lives on the trailer and I still work on it that way.

I ordered it on the basis that I would tow with the Atom on backwards, as per normal convention, hence the deck is the length of the car. However, I found this gave too high a nose weight so found the solution is to tow with the Atom facing forward and the front wheels as far forward as they will go against the fixed wheel chocks. This gives around 100kg nose weight and is perfectly balanced. I can even unhitch it and wind up the jockey wheel up and it just takes up a slightly nose down attitude.

This is my set up and had it for 13 years now. it certainly makes the trips to the Pyrenees/Alps etc more relaxing.
P1100967.JPG
P1100967.JPG (103.45 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
P1100969.JPG
P1100969.JPG (116.91 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 am

Has any one considered a single axle tipping trailer, such as the Lider?

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Nick

Yes I did but quickly discarded their products as unsuitable for an Atom.

The max bed width they offer is 190 cm (2500 kg 2 axle unit) - An Atom really needs a minimum of 195 cm to be comfortable (see the Atom Handbook) the 1600 kg single axle trailer is even narrower at 185 cm!

Specification (1 axle ):
Max. legal weight(kg) 1600
Payload (kg) 1200
Internal dimensions (cm) 361x185x11
Internal dimensions (ft/in) 11’10”x6’1”x4”
External Dimensions (cm) 540x237
External Dimensions (ft/in) 17’9”x7’9”
Gap Between Tracks 930mm

Specification (2 axles) :
Max. legal weight(kg) 2500
Payload (kg) 1950
Internal dimensions (cm) 394x190x14
Internal dimensions (ft/in) 12’11”x6’3”x6”
External Dimensions (cm) 547x237
External Dimensions (ft/in) 17’11”x7’9”
Gap Between Tracks 930mm

At 237 cm wide oa it is also too wide for a shipping container door (230 cm)
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:05 am

Stupot

- thanks for the 'heads up' about PRG Trailers - turned out that they could produce a trailer to the exact specifications I need!

New PRG Beavertail special build, 3000KG Gross (Open centre)
3650mm x 2130mm, braked twin axle on 10" wheels (Reduced height beavertail for best loading angle for an Ariel Atom)
Hydraulic tilt bed
2.5m loading ramps
2 x moveable chocks
Includes Winch, Hand brake, Spare wheel & tow hitch lock (Winch fitted on the NS of the trailer)
Lodeck Beavertail punched decking
MAX draw bar length is 4ft
Bulldog hitch lock
All electrics + Number Plate board
PRG trailer job number :- 11xxx
PRG Trailer build number :- 44xx

The 'Open centre' option above is because this trailer is usually supplied with an all weather industrial board load deck - however as I will be exporting it to Cyprus and neither PRG or myself were sure how the Cyprus summer sun would affect the Industrial board (from experience of the Cyprus sun I rather suspect not well!!) I have opted for punched decking (as per a normal car trailer) - at extra expense of course!.

However because of the punched decking this trailer will carry 3000kg (gross) so will happily transport most cars if needed

I dealt with a gentleman at PRG called Richard Proudlove who was very helpful and was happy to build me a trailer to the exact width and length required suitable for an Atom and also of a size to fit comfortably into a shipping container.

- delivery will be circa the third week of April 2018 - in time for me to collect my rebuilt Atom 3.5r from the factory - both will then be exported to Cyprus with my Atom strapped to this new trailer.

- Richard Proudlove, no doubt, would be happy to hear from any other Ariel owners who might be either considering or actively looking for a bespoke trailer.
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 am

What sort of money Paul?

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Nick

Decided that I might as well be 'hung for a sheep as a lamb' so went for the 'all singing & dancing' tilt/punched deck (all metal) version, the industrial board version without the hydraulic tilt and single axle 13" wheel version is considerably cheaper.

after much cogitation I decided to go for the twin axles with 10" wheels & hydraulic tilt 3000kg gross version because I will be able to use it for other cars as well as for my Atom

I will send you a pm with the full pricing details

Paul
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Makes total sense Paul if you will intend to have the versatility to haul different cars. I'm only going to pull the Atom and will offer the trailer as part of the deal when it comes time to sell her.

I'll be at the factory next week. Will send you some pics of your car.

N