GoPro Bracket

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AlanP

Re: GoPro Bracket

Post by AlanP » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

DVR on the dash. Upside down because the cables come out of the top.

A
Attachments
20190215_160042.jpg
20190215_160042.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1322 times

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Looks quite trick. Pleased with it, overall, Mr. P?

Cheers,
Hedge

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 pm

It's all pretty slick, connecting with the phone works perfectly, everything looks and feels good.
I've looked at some video before I fitted it all and it seemed damn good. I haven't driven the car with it fitted yet but happy that the position of the camera is right. The lens could be vulnerable down there but I'll find out I guess.
To view what the camera is showing just connect the phone app to the Innovv wifi generated by the DVR. Downloading video from the DVR to the phone seems a little slow, but I like the way it works. With the DVR accessible you can see that it's on and recording, and you can turn it on and off with the big buttons. There is no screen, but that is what your phone is for.
Alan

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:33 pm

I’ve been planning to fit one of these systems for the forthcoming season so given the sudden clement weather, I suppose I’d better pull my finger out.

I was thinking of installing the forward facing camera in the top of the air intake behind the grill. Not too sure where to fit the rear facing one though?

Chris

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 am

Looking at the website and reviews I'm not sure the 2 x camera system is quite the charmer that the C5 is, I’d check.

Alan

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am

Alan,

How do you rate the lens bracket? Does it seem sturdy enough?

I see there are optional brackets for £20 a pop ( Do you reckon the standard one will be up to the job?

Cheers.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am

I've used the standard bracket. The lens is a very tight fit in there and see little chance of it moving.
It's a bright, clear, dry day here, I'll be checking it all out very soon.

Alan

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Just finished an hour's London Late Afternoon Raid with the girl child.

We played with a Lambo and a Vette down The Strand; trooped the colour down the Mall with an Aston and an Exige; and held up traffic on a slow drive over Westminster Bridge with a Fez 458 and 355.

And I have zero proof!

I'm gonna take the plunge on the Innovv C5 - you've convinced me [mention]AlanP[/mention].

Oh, and as for Alan's previous comment: "I'm not sure the 2 x camera system is quite the charmer that the C5 is", I'm coming to that conclusion too.

There seems quite a few grumbles about the K2 and battery drain when 'switched off'. Some owners are reporting the GPS module may be remaining active, but the most feedback seems to be around the 'Parking Mode' that is a G sensor in the DVR that stays active to fire up the cameras if a 'knock' is detected. Allegedly draining a small battery like ours from useful to dead weight in about two days (?). The C5 has neither of these options.

Onwards!

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 am

Took the car out yesterday, pretty happy with the results with the camera.

It seems to default to creating lots of 1 minute videos, I think I'll change that, otherwise very pleased, in particular I think the mounting position is great, though I may move it forward slightly to lose the little bit of body on the right of the image.

I've tried to attach the 1 minute where I came across a very pretty 720S, but I get a 'invalid file extension' message. Any ideas? I've changed the file extension to MPEG and mpg to no avail.

A

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:39 am

AlanP wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 am I've tried to attach the 1 minute where I came across a very pretty 720S, but I get a 'invalid file extension' message. Any ideas? I've changed the file extension to MPEG and mpg to no avail.
You'll need to upload them to youtube, and then post a link to that here. Youtube make it very easy, and there's no reason to publish it for the whole world to see (set visibility to public, private or unlisted... I'd suggest using unlisted if you want to share here, but not the whole world).

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks,

Hopefully that works.

A

phil4

Post by phil4 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:41 am

AlanP wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am Hopefully that works.
Perfect!

Cjg62

Post by Cjg62 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:56 pm

AlanP wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 am Looking at the website and reviews I'm not sure the 2 x camera system is quite the charmer that the C5 is, I’d check.

Alan
Thanks Alan. I should have noted the model you were talking about!

I'll order the C5 as you suggest. It solves the problem as to where to place the second camera!

Chris

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:41 am

The INNOVV C5 received and installed today.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. I've spent weeks planning where various wires will run and tonight it all came together quite nicely.

I have mega pixel's worth of footage of me bolting on the front end of a Nomad, but that isn't why I bought it...

I'll attempt a few drives and a write up over the weekend.

I have opted for the external microphone though. That'll be arriving later in the week. Until then...

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:20 pm

So I thought I'd write up some notes on the install of the INNOV C5and results.

I spent quite a while thinking about where to mount everything, and opted for the camera on the light bar, running the cable down the side of the windscreen to the DVR unit under the bonnet:

Camera.jpg
Camera.jpg (381.78 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Cable.jpg
Cable.jpg (258.77 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
DVR.jpg
DVR.jpg (298 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

It all went in nice and neatly and the app on the phone is quite easy to use.

I'm not really liking the sound quality though! There is an inbuilt microphone in the DVR unit that is a bit pants. I experimented with an external microphone that plugs in, but the interference noise is horrendous - seems a 'known issue' with the INNOVV 5 units.

I tried rotating the DVR until so that the microphone is at the top (rather than sucking up the air) and added a bit of foam to try and baffle the wind noise, but it hasn't made too much of a difference.

DVR_2.jpg
DVR_2.jpg (345.83 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

Sound aside, the video itself is not too bad.

Dappled sunlight - https://youtu.be/9PnFYBfVQs0
Overcast - https://youtu.be/gvZlTR5syy0
It even works in the wet - https://youtu.be/uAkIYn0bD1Y

That said, after today's wet spell, I may think about relocating the camera to inside the cabin - https://youtu.be/51s-xWUeASc

Will it make bus drivers stop traffic to listen to you rev the engine? The camera won't, but the car does... https://youtu.be/JHvMwf_XyVE