Set of dampers for spring clatter

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
meladdo

Set of dampers for spring clatter

Post by meladdo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 am

following on from this topic http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,14564.0.html I may have sourced some manufactured washers that are similar to those made by ChuckUK for his car.

I have hopefully managed to get them made in red and self adhesive backed - so no messing about with double sided tape and what not. I have estimated 3 units per corner so 12 units per car set.

I have a set hopefully being delivered soon and I will try them on my Atom 3.5 and see how they effect the spring clatter. If they are as effective as I hope would anyone else be interested in a set. A rough guess at this stage would be £25 - £30 quid per car set. plus a bit of p&p

The red is limited as stock of this 0.8mm material is limited. After this is gone they will be black 1mm

There is no obligation at this time as price not set - I will make a list of those who are interested.
Once I get mine and fit them and test them I will report back and then you can decide.... :tu:

1. me 1 set
2. piquet 1 set
3. smokin 1 set
4. jaylatti 1 set (in black)
5. Northnoble 1 set
6. Maxime06 1 set
Last edited by meladdo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

piquet

Re: Set of dampers for spring clatter

Post by piquet » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:28 am

i'd be interested, when i drive along it sounds like something is broken, wearing a crash helmet makes me feel better but my neighbours worry

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm in
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

jaylatti

Post by jaylatti » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Yes please in black, if good
atom 3 245

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes please.....add me in too

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:49 pm

the bearings in this thread were awesome

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,12089

also removing the "helper" springs since they do nothing, will assist.

are your helper springs the same spring rate as your main springs, if so, remove them.

unfortunately I can't locate the vorshlag bearings anymore perhaps they have been discontinued, but, since they were sealed it provided a nice tidy upgrade versus the open bearings

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm

[quote="silver"]
the bearings in this thread were awesome

unfortunately I can't locate the vorshlag bearings anymore perhaps they have been discontinued, but, since they were sealed it provided a nice tidy upgrade versus the open bearings
[/quote]

Vorschlag no longer appears to have them on their site, but a quick search revealed a thread posted by Vorschlag in the past identifying these as BMW E46 M3 upper strut perch bearings with a 60mm (2.36") ID.

I found what looks to be the same bearing based on its distinctive neon green color as part of a spring seat assembly (BMW part# 31331090612) available at several places selling BMW parts:

link 1
link 2
link 3
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Good research - Thanks for posting Lane !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 am

Just for the record - these dampers are just that! a rubber self adhesive pad to stop the clatter- I am not about to alter any of the cars components to achieve this.  :tu:

I realize there are other ways to achieve this but this should suffice for me. I will report back once I have a set and tested them out.

Maxime06

Post by Maxime06 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 am

[quote="meladdo"]
Just for the record - these dampers are just that! a rubber self adhesive pad to stop the clatter- I am not about to alter any of the cars components to achieve this.  :tu:

I realize there are other ways to achieve this but this should suffice for me. I will report back once I have a set and tested them out.

[/quote]

Could you add me in the list of interested parties.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:05 am

:tu: will do.

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:04 pm

I have had a delivery and the items look good - I will fit and test in the next few days and report back :tu:

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Well then......The Clatter from the little red springs has gone! Yippee  :tu:

The car is so much quieter at - 30 / 40mph over some very uneven road surfaces and no clatter.
They took about an hour to fit, approx 15 mins per corner and fitted by jacking up car to decompress the spring, then cut the rubber ring and feed it around peel back the tape of the back as you go and apply close to the outer edge of the spring.

They are hardly noticeable at all. This is a simple mod and the good thing is they can be removed if you want to.

I will now get proper price delivered to those who want a set......I will get back to you asap :tu:

smokin

Post by smokin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Great news and great find meladdo.

Out in mine today and the clank was as irritating as the first time. Can't wait for it to be gone.

I'll have red if there's enough material.

Thanks
Atom 2 300, Ginetta G40 GT5 - UK

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Given the forces involved, it's difficult to see how the rubber material - or whatever it's actually made from doesn't just get crushed and spat out !

They clearly work and it seems like a good fix and as someone mentioned, stops the neighbours thinking your car needs new suspension as you respectfully drive slowly down the road ...
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold