1st track evening - Scary but fun!

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Luckky

1st track evening - Scary but fun!

Post by Luckky » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi all, lovely to meet [mention]Rooney1000[/mention] (see the only photo of the green Atom) at Snetterton tonight. Heavy rain made this a very tricky night for a beginner and I have to say my car did run in to a problem by not having a good enough driver in the wet but all in all it was an outstanding experience.

The track dried out a little half way through however heavy wet patches / puddles in places that made corners like Nelson very slippery for all.

I’m not the fastest but I had cracking fun and learnt a shed load plus I was pretty safe until a spin off of Palmer on the last lap but all fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Luckky on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rooney1000

Re: 1st track evening - Scary but fun!

Post by Rooney1000 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi mate.

Yes can echo the scary but fun comment. Pretty much everyone seemed faster than me and appeared to have more grip. Coming out of any turn and slight bit of throttle and out slides the rear...could only use full power when in 4th and even that was a nervous experience !

Such a shame it didn't dry out more, was getting a bit quicker at the end, but still sliding around and still being overtaken all those hot hatches.

Liked snetterdon though, will be back their again hopefully in the dry !!

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Rooney1000 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:29 pm Hi mate.

Yes can echo the scary but fun comment. Pretty much everyone seemed faster than me and appeared to have more grip. Coming out of any turn and slight bit of throttle and out slides the rear...could only use full power when in 4th and even that was a nervous experience !

Such a shame it didn't dry out more, was getting a bit quicker at the end, but still sliding around and still being overtaken all those hot hatches.

Liked snetterdon though, will be back their again hopefully in the dry !!
Is the green atom with green mudguards yours? If so, pretty sure I've seen you in Halstead area a few times?

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 pm

Yes that's mine, often driving out through Halstead to find some nice roads. I am in Earls Colne, my kids tell me that they have seen another Atom drive through the village a couple times a few weeks ago...that you ?!

Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 pm

Rooney1000 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 pm Yes that's mine, often driving out through Halstead to find some nice roads. I am in Earls Colne, my kids tell me that they have seen another Atom drive through the village a couple times a few weeks ago...that you ?!
More than likely me, I've driven through Earls Colne a few times of late, small world! :vroom:

Badders

Post by Badders » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 am

Toilet Duck wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 pm
Rooney1000 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 pm Yes that's mine, often driving out through Halstead to find some nice roads. I am in Earls Colne, my kids tell me that they have seen another Atom drive through the village a couple times a few weeks ago...that you ?!
More than likely me, I've driven through Earls Colne a few times of late, small world! :vroom:
Off-topic, sorry, but I'm local to you guys too. Near Great Dunmow. Have been through Halstead a few times as well.

I was booked onto Snetterton, but didn't go due to weather. :(

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:09 am

A few of us around!

I have booked Snetterton again on 7th Sept, won't go if it rains though !!

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 am

So conditions a little better yesterday, 26c and sunny. What a difference !

Great to be able to explore the atom and see what it can do, felt really quick and was starting to get some real confidence in the car. The things that I took away most where how settled the car felt in the bends and how much more I could push it, the brakes and just how hard and late you can slam them on, was really impressed, and finally that at about 115 the car does start to run out of steam a little. Not that needed much more at Snetterton but on the back straight you could just feel it.

Only a Noble and an M3, track prepped I assume, got past me which I thought was pretty good for only the 2nd track day in the car. Probably more the car than my skill!!

So was really impressed with the Atom, finished the evening and then drove home in the cool evening weather through some nice villages. Still think a trailer is probably a good idea though !!

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:57 am

If - & it's quite a big pair of ifs - you can afford one & are able to store it where the car is - then trailers are a vv good idea. Sometimes, the thought of driving home after a day at the track was enough for me to curtail my time at the track. And that's without the vagaries of the English weather taken into account.

Get a closed one, too, if you can.

Cheers,
Hedge

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:09 am

Rooney1000 wrote:So conditions a little better yesterday, 26c and sunny. What a difference !

Great to be able to explore the atom and see what it can do, felt really quick and was starting to get some real confidence in the car. The things that I took away most where how settled the car felt in the bends and how much more I could push it, the brakes and just how hard and late you can slam them on, was really impressed, and finally that at about 115 the car does start to run out of steam a little. Not that needed much more at Snetterton but on the back straight you could just feel it.

Only a Noble and an M3, track prepped I assume, got past me which I thought was pretty good for only the 2nd track day in the car. Probably more the car than my skill!!

So was really impressed with the Atom, finished the evening and then drove home in the cool evening weather through some nice villages. Still think a trailer is probably a good idea though !!
Any spins Rooney? I haven’t made it yet in the dry, I’m guessing it’s night and day difference

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:37 am

Hi

No none, and yes, couldn't have been more different.

Had a lot of confidence by the end. Great that the atom can make even limited experienced drivers rapid !

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Glad you had fun at the track- water and race circuits can be tricky, so taking it easy is the name of the game. As a top class factory development driver and all round good egg, looking at you Si) once said, in the wet, don’t f@@k it, caress it!

#BananAtom