General Newbie Questions

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Luckky

General Newbie Questions

Post by Luckky » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Evening all, I haven’t heard back as to a definite build slot yet so rather than patiently wait (I can’t do that) I thought I’d try and take my mind off it.

My preferred style is ‘all the gear and no idea’ so to that end a few questions for everyone and photo assisted answers would really be appreciated:

What gear does everyone have, give me the full run down and I appreciate it might be split in to track cold day /hot, quick run to the shops And finally all day cruise.

To be a bit more specific I’d like some help with; do I need racing boots for track and general road use, do you all bother with balaclavas? What gloves do you all use, do you use full race suits at the track, how many visors do you have, anyone found a good intercom or is the Ariel one the best option?

Please help distract someone who needs to sit on his hands for a few weeks who has the patience of Matt Hancock at 5:45 on a Friday Covid-19 press briefing 😇

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: General Newbie Questions

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Balaclavas are a good idea as they not only make it easier to get your helmet on, but they're also essential to keep your helmet nice and clean and sweet smelling. Just wash the balaclava regularly.

Racing boots are good if you have big feet and you fine the pedals are too close together - note that the pedal grips themselves are adjustable, so you can move the clutch further away from the brake etc if required - unscrew pedal grip and move to the other set of holes.

Gloves are a matter of choice and budget, I always used glove liners too as these offer yet another layer of heat insulation in winter.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

phil4

Post by phil4 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:43 am

This is one of those "each to their own" things for sure. As such I do not disagree with anything John says above, or anyone following says.

It's also worth bearing in mind when I had my Atom I only did a few trackdays, most was road driving. With that in mind, here's what I did:

Racing boots - nope, my feet fit just fine on the pedals without.
Balaclavas - nope, almost always driven in hot sunny weather, I didn't want to be hotter still.
Gloves - yes, some alpinestar car jobbies. Nothing special but saved hands getting cold.
Race suit - nope, just made sure arms and legs were covered.
Visors - two, but only ever used one. If I wanted shade I'd either use my mbike helmet with flip down shade or wear sunnies
Intercom - Used my bike's Senna one.

Why the above? I really didn't think I'd benefit from the extra clobber. I think on the road most people who saw me would have thought "race car" or similar, seen the helmet and that'd be enough. I doubt they'd notice or it would change their view if I were wearing gloves, boots or even a race suit.

At the track that would get noticed, but my track driving doesn't warrant looking like I'm a race driver - I'm not. I felt better to be under the radar than set an expectation I didn't meet.

Does that mean give more time (or in the future) I wouldn't get any of the above... no. driving boots were definitely on the list to consider.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am

There is a danger that if you arrive at a track day, kitted up to the eye balls, many people shall cast one eye at the mid-life crisis that clambers into/ out of their Atom is, in fact, a weapons-grade-cock. Especially if you thus then proceed to peddle like one.

However, if you are a bit of a track god, then go for it!

Cheers,
Hedge

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:44 am

Hedge wrote:There is a danger that if you arrive at a track day, kitted up to the eye balls, many people shall cast one eye at the mid-life crisis that clambers into/ out of their Atom is, in fact, a weapons-grade-cock. Especially if you thus then proceed to peddle like one.

However, if you are a bit of a track god, then go for it!

Cheers,
Hedge
Thanks all

@Hedge - the midlife crisis might be accurate so if the cap fits Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:50 am

I'd say gloves are a must. Having a good grip on a steering wheel is always welcome.

The rest is entirely up to you.

Cheers,
Hedge

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 am

Driving gloves are essential to get good purchase on the wheel and stop the steering wheel grip material from picking up the oils form your skin. They also keep your hands from getting cold in the airflow.

Driving shoes or thin soled trainers are good. But you can use anything that has a small footprint and thin sole. Wellington boots / wooden clogs not recommended! :roflp:

I use a balaclava most of the time to keep the lid fresh. On hot days it keeps the lid from getting sweaty. You can carry a fresh to swap out as required. It is also nice to keep you extra warm when required and helps keep earplugs / headphones in place with a lid. But its personal preference.

There is no need for a race suit unless you are going racing IMO. They are not common on track days and the Atom is not a race car. Thats a no from me. :td:

Assuming you are not getting a windscreen many feel safe enough to go to the shops or a quick run in some strong sunglasses / goggles. When its cooler add a VERY SECURE (so it doesn't blow off your head) hat of some sort. For longer distances / higher speeds (or on track) a helmet is essential for safety purposes. How far and how fast you are happy to go risking head injury from stones etc is upto you. Personally i love driving without a helmet when possible. But for reference rain stings your forehead at motorway type speeds and a stone could be deadly so its upto you.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Part of the fun of ownership is buying all the gear! If you are just popping to the shops, you can wear what you like, although glasses (and clothes) are a good idea and I tend to wear my Roof Boxxer helmet for the reasons above. Depending on the weather I wear a variation of my ski gear - jacket, base layers, glove liners, gloves, balaclava, as well as some waterproof over trousers. I also recommend buying some earplugs as the wind noise from the helmet can be quite wearing - I bought a load of cheap 3M yellow ones from Amazon. On a longer journey it's good to be prepared, so even if the weather is OK, I will put all the base layers etc in a waterproof bag in the passenger footwell.

I bought a Cardo Pack Talk motorcycle intercom set to put in my helmet and my other helmet so I can talk to any passengers. It also enables me to make and receive calls, listen to music and hear the TomTom. I rarely switch it on though as I prefer to concentrate on the driving.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Anon

Post by Anon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Hello mate,

Just get what you want and have fun and don't worry what others think. In an Atom on track an average driver will pass pretty much everything bar Radicals and F3 cars unless you are very quick and this is without even trying so I wouldn't worry about setting expectations. I've been passed by an Atom in a Radical before - but I am just slow. The reason I bought an Atom is because it's mean't to be fun at the track and not serious like racing teams get. So enjoy!

The gear I use:
Gloves - Alpinestars - I have a pair of these: Alpinestars Tech 1 Start V2 Race Gloves. I just bought a new set, they wear out quickly actually
The gloves help with grip and looks after the suede as Peter mentioned
Race suit - I draw the line here, although it could help in an event of a fire on track, for track days not really needed. The Radical boys often wear race suits even on track days
Head sock - I don't wear one personally just because they irritate my nose. I know they help with keeping ear plugs in though and again they can help if there was a fire
Helmet - I like Arai helmets, although they are pricey. I had a road/bike version but then upgraded to a motor sport one with the kevlar strap and narrow opening - given I only ever drive open cockpit cars at the moment this made sense. The gp6 I have supports HANS devices should I want to get one at some stage. I also have a Agv helmet, but by far the Arai's are best.
Visors - I have mirrored ones and clear ones. I use the clear ones when on track in the winter or dull days. The mirror one is totally necessary when it's sunny because I wear eye glasses so cannot wear sun glasses under the lid
ear plugs - the wax ones - I really need these, I find the Atom 4 quite loud as I have sensitive ears
Name stickers - Don't forget these!
Boots - I have a pair of alpinestars boots. I find my foot will not fit in between the clutch pedal and the foot rest with trainers on, they are too wide. On the Atom 4 you can't move the pedal sideways like on earlier cars, only up and down. Racing shoes are slimmer also you much more feel in the brake pedal.

Can't wait to see your's when you get it! what colour are you going for?